We went to the Train Show today!

roryglasgow

My son and I went to a show put on by Great American Train Shows in Humble, TX. It was mostly vendors, but there were some pretty good deals. Here are a few photos:

Challenger.jpg

This is a large scale Challenger that was sitting on a siding at the head of a passenger train. It had sound, and was sitting there "hissing" while it waited for a Santa Fe diesel passenger train to pass through.

BigBoy.jpg

This is a Union Pacific Big Boy. It was coupled in front of the Challenger. When they started this passenger train up, though, they only ran it with the Challenger. This model, too, had sound. I'm sure whoever owned them paid a good deal of money!!

GrimyGulch.jpg

This is the Grimy Gulch Scenic Railway. It was the nicest layout on display (in my opinion). Note the observatories in the foreground. The domes are the bottom parts of those prize containers that you get out of vending machines. I thought they did a rather nice job on them. This layout was very difficult to get a look at, so this is the best picture I was able to obtain!

RioGrandeDiesel.jpg

The Houston Area Live Steamers rain a train ride. This engine runs on 24 volt DC.

BryanGondola.jpg

And here is my son, Bryan, as we were riding the train (for the third time!) The children could sit in one of the two gondolas at the front of the train. There were two sort of bench cars for the adults and others. The conductor sat in the back on a car that had one of those seats something like you find in bass boats.

-Rory

IMRL393

Rory -

You are sure making a lot of wonderful memories for you and your son !

:)

My next train show is not until the GATS gets to Rock Island in May !!

But just as well it's not soon - gotta save up my pennies to get some "goodies" - maybe someone will have a RS-3 in RI colors ......

- George

Rory,

that is one fine looking lad you've got there. At least you are getting him started on the right track, - more fun, and more satisfying to build than to destroy.

Lynn

IMRL393

Andy -

Here is the GATS ("Great American Train Show") website for you and anyone else that wants it:

http://www.gats.com/

It has a schedule page for the cities and dates.

Will let you know other info when advertisements hit the Quad City Times newspaper in May !

- George

PS

Looks like it will be in Green Bay in March - ya might beat me to it !