Waybills & Rolling Stock

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I've been busy the last while working on my waybills now that I've determined most of the industries for my layout (both the current layout, and the final basement layout, using those requirements as bridge traffic if applicable).

Well, after figuring out weekly demands, it turns out less than half of my current rolling stock (53 units) is even "useful" for my current layout. And I need another 144 units to be fully stocked. Owch.

My biggest requirements? Quite the surprise, since I model the Rock Island, with Santa Fe and Missouri Pacific nearby. I've got more than enough Santa Fe and Rock Island rolling stock (except for reefers), but need FOURTEEN (14) MP boxcars, and EIGHT (8) Kansas City Southern boxcars. And way more units for my fictional shortlines than I thought. Sigh.

Just a helpful hint hopefully for others - just cause you're modeling a certain area doesn't mean your rolling stock will all be from your fave railroad. A significant portion will be from other railroads in the vicinity. While two RI mainlines encircle my layout, with only an interchange for MP and ATSF . . . only 17% of all the rolling stock I need will be from the ROCK (16% MP, 12% ATSF, 12% fictional shortline, 43% all others).

If anyone's interested in the complete rundown . . .
http://www.heatherandmichael.com/recklessandveiled/rstockrequirements.html