Wavy Homasote

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Hi all,
I have installed my last piece of Homasote roadbed. This sheet is very wavey. The thickness varies about 1/64". It looks like the cars are on a roller coaster. Other than a belt sander to smooth or level it out, does anybody have any other idea's?
Thanks,
Marty

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Homasote

Hi Marty, I've been using Homasote for years (not the pre-cut roadbed). I buy it in full 4x8 sheets. I think that what has happend is that you got a piece from the bottom of the stack that was warped and compressed from the full weight of the bundle. For this reason I never accept just what they pull from the rack..I pick my sheets. At $25 a sheet the supply house doesn't seem to have a problem with me doing that:D

I assume that you have a plywood subroadbed under it. Homasote is not self supporting. Try this.... take the offending piece and lay it out on a flat smooth surface such as a concrete driveway or patio. Be sure you've got good weather so it doesn't rain on it and just let it lay there for a day or two. Turn it over every now and then and it should straighten out and the humidity in the air will make it expand just a fraction.

Hope this helps:)

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Vic,
I have cut all roadbed out of 4'x8' sheets.
Homasote is glued to 3/4" plywood.
Unfortunately the Homasote is glued down, so I can not use your idea, unless I remove from plywood and start over. This is a straight section of double mainline track 22' long.
I have used 4 sheets without a problem. I think you maybe right,
this sheet was the last of a stack, the other 4 were from the top of a new stack. Thanks for the tip.
Marty

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Marty, I also used homasote sheets for years. I stopped for four reasons: 1 I had to borrow a van or truck to bring it home 2 It is very messy to cut into roadbed, 3 You have to build up the ballast shoulders, 4 the dips in the surface which you mention. I now use the product homabed, advertised in Model Railroader pretty regularly. This is delivered to my door, and installs the same as cork roadbed, and costs about the same, as I recall. Anyway, when I used the homasote and I needed to correct surface discrepancies, I spread spackle and used a wallpaper tool as a spackle knife. the tool I'm talking about was about 15" long and I used it along the length of roadbed. This filled in dips, I then used a sanding block to lightly sand level. Yes, this is also messy. Don't know another way to do it.

Gary

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Marty and Gary, I've always used #8X3/4 wood screws to fasten down the Homasote to the subroadbed. Since most of my trackwork is flat on the ground I only cut ballast shoulders where there would be a "fill" in the roadbed.

I too have noticed some variation in the product lately....maybe its gotten like a new car... never buy one/any that was made on a Monday!!!:D :D :D

A friend of mine will be buying three sheets this week and I'll be helping him cut it up this weekend. If I see any major problems with it I'll send y'all a report!:D