Waterwheel

belg

Hey Guys ,I'm wondering if anyone would have photos that would include a waterwheel attached to a factory circa 1950.I want to make it part of my machine works.

RailRon

belg, do you really mean 1950? Not 1905? :confused:

I doubt if there were any industrial enterprises in 1950 still using waterwheels. Of course there might have been some grist mills way out in rural settings using water power, or I could imagine even a sawmill complete with waterwheel for a logging layout. But machine works???

I didn't find any 'modern' waterwheels, when googling around. The most recent was one (lousy) picture of a German planing mill which was closed in 1933 and now waits to be renovated as a tourist attraction.

However, here's a useable drawing I found of an 'undershot' waterwheel. The axle would protrude through the wall of the industry building behind the wheel.

I guess this type is easier to model than a waterwheel which is fed from above (and should have closed pockets for the water). Just a hint for anybody who looks for easy-to-do waterwheels. :D :D :D

Ron

Ooops... forgot the picture :(

Blake

Actually, what allot of companies did (and I believe this did carry on into the 1950's) was to add a steam engine to run the main shaft along with the water wheel. This way they could still use the free water power when available, and steam power when it wasn't. My Dad was in the National Guard in the mid 1950's and he was in the Deposit, NY area. One of his buddies had an uncle who worked in a machine shop in the area and my Dad went there and was quite astonished to see the working waterwheel. I think this one was electric powered not steam. But it did maintain the waterwheel.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Belg,

I guess Blake's post proves there is a prototype for everything...

Many mills in the 1800's had the waterwheel inside, and the water was routed through the building.

Here's an example of one near where I live: Watson's Mill in Manotick.

That might save you some trouble building a wheel... ;)

Andrew

belg

new yankee workshop

Thank you all for your responses which will only be more appreciated as time goes along.I saw on t.n.y.w. an active mill I believe it was in georgia or maine(I know their right next to each other right) that still used the waterwheel in a factory that produced wooden shutters. They still ran all their power machinery with large leather belts and even set up a way to sell extra KW hours back to the utility co.