waterfront operations

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Art67, May 16, 2006.

1. Art67

Art67 Member

Howdy, Here are some recent shots from my B&O switching layout. The day starts out with the crews catching a smoke and discussing the first moves of the day. A venerable GE 44 tonner is retrieved from the bullpen, and sits idling before they head out to switch the local steel supplier.

Attached Files:

• 956.jpg
      956.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
    • 957.jpg
      957.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
    • 961.jpg
      961.jpg
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
    • 963.jpg
      963.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Art67

Art67 Member

As anyone who has ever railroaded professionally knows all to well, delays are the name of the game. The crew will sit in the clear until one of the B&O's new hotshot trailer trains is being made up. This intermodal train will take trailers to Cumberland and eventually Chicago.

Attached Files:

• 971.jpg
      971.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
    • 974.jpg
      974.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
    • 976.jpg
      976.jpg
      File size:
      67.6 KB
      Views:
    • 978.jpg
      978.jpg
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
    • 979.jpg
      979.jpg
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Art67

Art67 Member

After some impatient trucks roll across the now clear crossing the crew is able to return to work

Attached Files:

• 982.jpg
      982.jpg
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Art67

Art67 Member

After switching the local pipe supplier, a friendly wave to the local tug crew, it's back to the steel supplier with one more gondola. After that, they uncouple and head back to the yard.

Attached Files:

• 985.jpg
      985.jpg
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
    • 992.jpg
      992.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
    • 944.jpg
      944.jpg
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
    • 945.jpg
      945.jpg
      File size:
      53.9 KB
      Views:
    • 951.jpg
      951.jpg
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

You sure are keeping that switcher busy Art. Keep the photo's coming buddy. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great Stuff!!! :) Nice Work!!!
  7. isboris4449

isboris4449 Member

Wow! Great looking photos. I am a dedicated Rail/Marine freak, so I love seeing other modeler's work. Have you, or can you post a trackplan? And more photos too, of course!

Tom
  8. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Really nice Art - I can smell the diesel smoke and the lake from here.

Val
  9. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Really nice looking scenes, Stuart. And you're right about switching: lots of hurry up and wait. The steel plant where I worked often got switch service (from either TH&B or CNR) right around our shift change times, morning, afternoon or night, so it was common to have to wait for a long drags of coils (or slabs, or scrap, etc.) while you were either on the way in or out the plant gate. The in-plant trains could also really tie things up, as there were over two dozen plant-owned locos in service.

Wayne
  10. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Terrific pictures that capture the dockside look so well! I really like the scenes with those steel coils and your vintage trucks are great! Beautiful work and photos!
    Ralph
  11. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Art67, SIMPLY OUTSTANDING!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: , GREAT story, AWESOME pics/scenes, FANTASTIC MODELING!:thumb: Art67, i ALWAYS enjoy seeing your work!, thanks for posting this thread!:thumb: :D
  12. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Fantastic modeling. I really like the way you tell us little stories with your photos. BTW, is this a Bachmann GE 44-ton? I thought of buying one, but backed away from it because I heard complaints about its quality. What do you think about it?
  13. Art67

Art67 Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Isoboris-I am adding on to what is now a 2x8 foot layout. The new addition will make it 2x12 foot. It is really just a small switching layout. Once the new addition is added I will post an updated trackplan.There are also quite a few other pictures on this forum of the layout in my previous posts. Cnw- It is a bachman 44 tonner that I purchased years ago and it is NOT the best mechanism. I heard that Bachman re-released it a few years ago and that it is an improved running mechanism. I understand that the newer versions have blackened wheels {whereas mine has the shiny wheelsets} that allows you to tell if it is a newer version. That said, mine is an ok runner, I make sure the wipers are clean and lubricate it every now and then and it does an ok job on my layout. The GE 44 tonnner is a model that I just had to have regardless, as it's always been a favorite prototype of mine{Ihave a soft spot for diminuitive switchers}. The short wheelbase is also an issue as my frogs are not powered so it keeps you busy with the throttle{speeding up over the frogs-while still trying to maintain prototypical speeds}, this is actually somewhat enjoyable. I am waiting for the day that Life-like puts out a nice version of it. If waterfront heavy industrial modeling is an interest to anyone, I will be adding to this post shortly with some more pictures of the docks etc as I am putting the finishing touches on a rail marine transfer building that I think is coming along quite nicely.

Stuart
  14. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Stuart, thank you for the information on the 44-ton, I have to think about it again. I have a weak spot for those old switchers, especialy Baldwins (VO-1000 is my favorite).
    Please post a trackplan and more picsof your layout. I am really interested in it, because the size of my switching layout is nearly the same as yours after your new addition.
  15. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Stuart, that is SWEET! Great work and photos.

Kurt, the Stewart Baldwin switchers run beautifully.
  16. isboris4449

isboris4449 Member

Stewart,

I'm such a dedicated rail/marine freak that I'm building not one but two layouts with a rail/marine theme. One, a 9'3" by 9'7" by 2' shelf layout, is a free-lanced version of Shelton. Wa that receives cars via carbarge. The sole major industry is a plywood mill, and there will be a few smaller industries like a batch plant, propane dealer and other small service industries.

The "big" layout will be 10' by 12' by 2' around the walls with a 2' by 6' peninsula, and will represent my CW Rwy's operations in Seattle, Wa. It draws major inspiration from the Milwaukee Road's Seattle operations in the late 70's, and is called the Duwamish Terminal It will feature carbarge operations to Shelton and Pt Townsend, the eastern terminus of the CW's isolated Olympic Penninsula branch. It will also feature some rail/marine industries and a variety of other larger industries.

Of course the two layouts will interchange cars via the carbarges.

Tom
  17. Art67

Art67 Member

Tom-sounds as if you have your hands full with two layouts. I think your theme and setting sound pretty cool. Do you have any pictures you could post so I can check it out?

Stuart
  18. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Have you built a barge on some sort of cart to use for transfer moves?
  19. Art67

Art67 Member

Not sure if that question is to me or to Isboris, but at the moment I do not have a cart for transfer moves, but I do have the Walthers carfloat that is pretty nice. I am in the midst of adding on to my layout { a small 2x4 extension} , and at the moment I dont even have room for the Walthers carfloat. Most of my rollingsock is added to the layout using a small 3 track yard by hand.

Stuart
  20. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Those are great pictures as usual. :thumb:

I think you should really give a tutorial on how to wheath your buildings and freight cars/Engines. I can't get over how cool they look.