Water Tower in N

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hello All,

Stumbled across this forum in search of model railroad knowledge and was inspired by what I found here, particularly by some of the cereal box creations. I decided that, for my first attempt, I'd do a water tower. It's still a work in progress, but the bones are there. The next one will adhere a bit more closely to scale, though I don't think I'm that far off :)

Attachments

• watertower.jpg
    watertower.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 240

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Thanks...it is indeed cardboard, Honey Nut Cheerios Cardboard to be exact :) Except for the posts (matchsticks) and tension bands (thread and clipped nails) Any of you fellow n-scalers know where I can find an n-scale lumber dimension reference online by any chance?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to the Gauge and what a great first go. When I was in N scale, I would split the matchsticks down with a straight edge razor for the smaller dimensions. Anyone with a scale rule got too close I just bopped 'em on the head with piece of flex track. :D ;) :p :eek:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thats a neat looking water tank Racharg

Welcome to the Gauge.
Don't know any websites that give N gauge lumber sizes.
I rely on my trusty N scale ruler
It's hard to get any lumber smaller than the 2X4 size. for my old eyes anyway.
Your local hobby shop may carry different sizes of lumber that you can use for reference.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
Welcome aboard Racharg! Looks great from here! On edge, of course, so it conforms to their skull and they get poked with 100 teeny weeny ties ;) We call that an N scale Noogie! :D :D :D

Hey, that would leave a kinda warm, tingly feelin' wouldn't it?:eek: ;)

F

Fred_M

Real nice water tower, but please tell me you didn't really clip your nails and use them? Yuck. :D Dash 10

Racharg

Oct 24, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Had a bunch of 1/2 inch nails with flat-ish heads that I bought at a hardware store to hold my track down. Thought I was being smart rather than pay for the more expensive Atlas nails. That was before I discovered my wife's sewing pins work much better and are way cheaper for that sort of thing (in blue foam insulation at any rate) Have enough nails for 9 more water towers at least :)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by Racharg
Had a bunch of 1/2 inch nails with flat-ish heads that I bought at a hardware store to hold my track down. Thought I was being smart rather than pay for the more expensive Atlas nails. That was before I discovered my wife's sewing pins work much better and are way cheaper for that sort of thing (in blue foam insulation at any rate) Have enough nails for 9 more water towers at least :)

I'm glad you cleared that up about the "clipped nails." I too thought you meant fingernail clippings which I wouldn't really find gross, but it had me studying your model to try to figure out where the fingernail clippings were located and what they were used for. Nice looking model. Welcome to the gauge.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Racharg and welcome to the gauge. Nice looking water tower. Very nice photos also.
Shamus