Watching the watchers

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by YakkoWarner, Nov 15, 2002.

1. YakkoWarner

YakkoWarner Member

2. digital_signal_

digital_signal_ Member

The article is indeed disturbing, but an unfortunate consequence of the state of the world today. Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit being identified and questioned by authorities if the practice could prevent an attack. Obviously, logical boundaries should be drawn to prevent interrogation from becoming harassment, watching to trespassing, and a strong dose of patience and understanding on both sides of the fence should be prescribed.

I would hope most officers would be able to see clearly the difference between enthusiasm for a hobby, and malicious intent. To help in that, just be yourself and understand his side of the pictures your taking too.

As a side note, anyone have info on that magnificent steamer pictured with the article?

Michael
  3. gerbs4me

gerbs4me Member

that is disturbing.
  4. Peirce

Peirce Member

Yes, this is disturbing and we should be cautious and discreet. However, if we totally stop our railfanning activities, the bad guys have won.

I just returned from a vacation in England and France. In the Gare du Nord in Paris I noticed security gates that were not there two years ago. After getting off the Eurostar there, I took a few minutes to get a few pictures. Here is an example:

[​IMG]

Nobody bothered to challenge or question what I was doing. (This was true in England, too.) Of course, I made myself look more like a tourst by posing my wife along side this locomotive in a typical "tourist-type" shot. Over all I may have taken about four or five shots at that time. Also, I have reduced the amount and size of the photo gear I carry. Hopefully, I will be a less obvious railfan, but I will continue to be an active railfan.
  5. CarlFidy

CarlFidy Member

My compliments to the BN in Tulsa

One day last month when I went railfaning between Tulsa and Claremore, I spotted the local with six Santa Fe units all still in blue and yellow paint. I pulled off on a gravel drive that only serves as access for railroad maintance crews and took a series of photos. As I was heading back to my car, two gentlemen pulled up in a four-door sedan. One got out and introduced himself, asked a couple questions and we talked for a few minutes. Before he left he gave me one of his cards - Terminal Superintendent.

No hassle at all - even wrote the TrainMaster's 24 hour phone number on the back in case I ever notice a problem with a train or any suspicous activity around the rails.