Wasteland Skiff - design and bulid

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Hello friends,

Recently Tiking post his beautifull plastic scrach/kitbashed bild of wasteland skiff:
http://zealot.com/threads/ahib-advanced-hover-intelligence-bike.179175/

Finished_wasteland_bike19_zpskbbdy3nn.jpg

I instantly fell in love with it and few days later I finaly decided to make paper model of it during summer. Because in summer my hands (and everything else) are sweating much more and it sometimes ruins my paper models, so I will put my current X-wing build on hold during summer and will be designing this.

This is original design from Hazzard65
wasteland_skiff_by_hazzard65-d5mr13l.jpg
My model will be based on original design, but I will also borrow something from Tiking build and maybe change few details to make it more practical machine. I will post regulary to hear your feedback. It will be nice if it become whole comunity design :)

BUT I have few important questions not aswerd yet and I need your help. I want to ask you what do you think or suggest:

1. Shoud I make public templates with numbers and nice building plan (free of course)? Because this is not some famouse film or TV vehicle, do you think somebody else will want to build it when there is so much great models of famouse vehicles?

2. What scale? 1:18 = 20 cm (7,9 inches) long? Too big?

3. How do you solve hand swetting in summer? Some gloves? Aluminium:)?

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions :)

John Everett

May 2, 2016
Denver
www.coldbasementmodels.com
I would answer:

Produce the templates if doing so is not too much work. Any model builder wishing to take on a project like this will have the skills to follow their own designs.

The scale should be the largest scale which lets you display everything you wish to include and will still fit on top of your desk.

Hand sweating......I got nothing.

It looks as though you're doing sections of this in styrene/cardboard sheet. On drawback to sheet is that the nature of the material tends to push the design into a very "blocky" style with lots of flat surfaces and hard angles. This is a bonus when that's the style you want. But it can be a hinderance if you're looking for something with a more organic, curving look.

Reactions: zathros

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you for answers John Everett.

Dont worry, I am aware of this trap of blocky look. And there are ways to fight it as you can see on some great models on this forum. For example on planes. These 3d sketches I posted are just starting points. None ot them will be used in final model. I did them realy quickly. I work that way, if I do not have 3-side blueprint, because it is easier to manipulate and quikly edit this rough shapes. When I am satisfied with overall look it will be used as reference to make final curves and surfaces.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like this cooperation, and sharing, it is awesome!! Bigger is better, as you can always scale down! ;)

Reactions: bigpetr

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you can sit on it, and make it strong enough, you can take a car spring and cement it into the ground, and have a blast!! She seems to be having fun!! :)

girl-leaning-back-on-playground-motorcycle.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I made this diorama once:

That is awesome!! :)

I like the recumbent position, and have made a recumbent trike (pic below, easily cruises at 20 mph) in that position, but for a powered machine, personally I would prefer a supine to sitting position, it's easier to shift your weight around, and bail if you have too. ;)

I designed this off the top of my head. It has a 24 gear set, front disc brakes, rear swing arm with air shock. It handles great. I did all the geometry with Rhino 3D and used .050" wall thickness mild steel tubing. I made the hubs for the wheels, and use huge Heim Joints for the steering knuckles. This allows for accurate camber adjustment. The Ackerman is set to the center of the rear wheel hub. Each front disc operates individually, making for some fun drifting on dirt. I did all the machining and welding. I fabricated this almost completely from scrap. ;)

trike.jpg

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
design4.jpg Scale set on 1:24. Model will be aprox. 15cm long, 5cm wide and 7cm high

Few things added. It takes some time to get proportion right (= how I like it :)). Modeling without blueprints is not the fastest way of doing it. Lot of experimenting and tweaking.

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Dear friends, again I need your help to figure out how this thing works. Such things realy adds to the design. So my thinking so far is:

Stearing and forward motion: ??? Please HELP :) ( for stearing maybe little winglets and if this has jet engine then two rotational exhaust noozles behind? But this craft is called wasteland skiff and with jet engine it will set to fire the grass on wasteland :). And can not be used in the city traffic (only with wery long distances betwen wehicles to not get burned:)).

Hovering: Disc at the bottom is electromagnetic gravity device. It generates antigravity electromagnetic field by superconducting coil and rotating ring (based on Heim theory). Rotating part also acts as gyroscope to stabilize whole vehicle.

I am fooking forward to your ideas :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The disc will give rigidity in space., as in a real motorcycle, I would consider having one for lift, and for steering, and one at 90 degrees perpendicular, like a bow thruster on a ship), remembering, your input will actuate the disc 90 degrees after the input in the direction of travel, so any actuators have to reflect that. Inside those discs could be fan blades that act as cyclic and collective, allowing for steering, and leaning.

Fenestron rotors are works of art, the blades rotate in either direction, and making them cyclic would not be so far fetched. This machine would turn one a dime, have no hot exhaust, outer heavy rings and the speed of the glades would give rigidity in space ( i.e. a Gyroscope). One avenue to explore. The housing is left up to you, you just need to have an air input. That would be easy to design, the other directional one could be much smaller (even two, at each end) perpendicular, that one in the front or rear, though the front would make it steer quicker. Just remember, there is no lift it the glade tips reach supersonic, so factor the surface speed of the blades to determine the size of the lifting blade, which would be enclosed on top of bottom. If all three blade sets could rotate down, you would get incredible lift, and with the cyclic control, you would still get the control, at a much higher altitude. You imagination is your limit! :):)

aec-safety-tech-fenestron-img2.jpg Fenestron.jpg HeliArtist Fenestron 011.jpg
Fenestron DSC_4846.jpg