Washing Machine Hoses

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
As Karma would have i lost some of my layout, not to bad to a natural disaster in the basement. The supply hose to the washing machine ruptured and wiped out an entire village - lol. Unfortuantely I do not have A FEMA agency on board, Alot of stuff was salvageable.Just a little reminder to change the washing machine hoses regularily - just a helpful hint. I also wrote the date of the change on the machine itself. I have purchased a solenoid valve from Smarthome.com and awaiting its arrival. You place several sensors strategically throughout your basement, near water heater, sump pump, furnace etc. Upon one of the sensors activating, the solenoid valve turns off the water to the house. Just a few solder joints and basic wire should help save years of work.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
bummers Michael there is (or use to be) a 40% valve (if more than 40% of the rated listing on the valve flowed the valve shuts off) only draw back is there pricey:(

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Last time I replaced the hoses, I had to change the taps as well -- hose was too firmly attached to undo. I put those taps on (well, the plumber did) that have a lever that turns 90 degrees to off. Now my wife turns the water off after every washing session.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I agree with Jim, what a bummer.

Years ago I installed simple garden hose shut-off valves to the washer hose bibs before I put the hoses on. They have a small lever that lets you shut off the water with just a quarter turn. It's really easy to do and prevents what happened to you. Cost in my area is about $3.00 apiece.
Doc

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
We too, shut the water supply off to the washer when we're not using it. No only does it keep the hoses from rupturing when we're not around but it probably extends their life since the stress on them is turned on only when the machine is running.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
thanx for the comments to all... We usually take it for granted washing machines are impervious to malfunction. My solenoid solution would even keep the actual hoses inside the machine from taking a fit and dropping dead when we are not home when the washing machine is running ( running to the store, etc...) Now that im thiking of it, do they make a basin that you could put the entire washing machine in??? Kinda like a retaining dyke at a tank storage facility. Just a thought. I know they make a basin for the water heater in the event of a catastrophe. I have installed 1 1/2" one way flow valves on the sewer lines in the past - that has prevented issues with those nasty backups :)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
After a major mess with the computer room air conditioner at work, we installed some large angle pieces (4x4 angle iron?) around the a/c unit and including the floor drain. Caulked to the floor.
No subsequent floods, so no idea if it worked.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
hooknlad said:
thanx for the comments to all... We usually take it for granted washing machines are impervious to malfunction. My solenoid solution would even keep the actual hoses inside the machine from taking a fit and dropping dead when we are not home when the washing machine is running ( running to the store, etc...) Now that im thiking of it, do they make a basin that you could put the entire washing machine in??? Kinda like a retaining dyke at a tank storage facility. Just a thought. I know they make a basin for the water heater in the event of a catastrophe. I have installed 1 1/2" one way flow valves on the sewer lines in the past - that has prevented issues with those nasty backups :)

If you have pressure on the supply hose at all times and it ruptures, a dyke taller than the machine would fill up and then overflow. You need something that detects the failure. The combination of a dyke and sensors in the dyke to shut off the water if they get wet would work at keeping the rest of the basement dry. Essentially you need two things a device to retain water and a separate device to detect when there is flooding to shut the water off.