Warhammer 40K Armour

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikkaan

Ikkaan New Member

I had some training in 3dMax, a long time ago...and it wasn´t exactly my cup of tea.

I imagine that importing would be easy, but then the work starts...how to unfold the damn model in usuable groups and then add tabs for glueing...adding surfaces so it is actually possible to construct a paper model.

EDIT: Pepakura imports 3dmax files ? Maybe its possible....
  2. Kjev

Kjev Member

I looked up 3Ds Max. Ummm . . . more than slightly out of my price range. Anyone know of an affordable or free equivalent?
  3. Grindar

Grindar Member

I vote we mention no more trequest in front of Flare until he finishes a few of the bazillion he's already started.

*requests, on blackberry, too hard to go back and edit.
  4. davitch

davitch Member

You could try Blender it is totally free.
  5. Grindar

Grindar Member

Google sketchup is reported to work really well with pepakura designer. Lacking all 3d modeling skills apparently, I couldn't begin to tell you for sure. Though I'd like to learn.
  6. Kjev

Kjev Member

Tried it. It was functional, although things didn't quite turn out as well as I'd hoped. Hopefully I'll get to tackle it again soon.
  7. Kjev

Kjev Member

Where does one find Blender?
  8. the_spartan_fury

the_spartan_fury Shadow Striker

with sketchup, you can go on google's 3d warehouse and import models from there that other people have made (some are really good!). that's what's happening with me and my space marine (to be a costume!)
  9. Kjev

Kjev Member

I downloaded someone's Arvus. It's an awesome model, but when I imported it into Pepakura, it came out really really small. Not sure what I did wrong.
  10. the_spartan_fury

nothing's wrong! what it does is when you click unfold, it sizes the model so all the parts are on one page. to get it to the right size, click on 'recalculate parts layout' (the icon with the four squares), click on manual and specify the height (the others recalculate auto) in mm. i would also suggest that when you do this you should adjust the tab size, else they're MASSIVE! click on edit flaps (ctrl F), change shape, and choose the size, apply to all flaps. voila! now edit parts and print to your heart's content!
  11. Kjev

Kjev Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh. . . . now I see! The old EBOK (Error Between Operator & Keyboard) problem! Thanks Spartan Fury!

Now where is that Arvus . . . . .
  12. Ikkaan

Ikkaan New Member

Currently i´m also waiting for the arvus model data...i talked to the dogs of war developer and he/the original modeler agreed to send me the stuff. Don´t know if something usable will come from that.
  13. Kjev

Kjev Member

I'm confused (not that it takes much to achieve that)

So are you waiting for me to do the Arvus? Or the Dogs of War Developer?

And do you mean Dawn of War, perchance? Dogs of War was a modern-day tabletop game (really good one, too) that the developer dropped. Not GW at all.

Incidentally, picked up a copy of Titanicus today. Not sure if it will have any useful technical details, but Abnett is one of my favorite writers. Not being a 40K player, and not familiar with the Adeptus Mechanicus at all, it's proving to be educational, as much as I can plow through the neogothic technospeak.
  14. Ikkaan

Ikkaan New Member

I´m waiting for you to make the arvus and for the dogs of war dev to send me a model....i just want to see what i can make of it.
  15. Kjev

Kjev Member

Alright, I exported the Arvus to a KMZ file, opened it in Pepakura, unfolded it, and then went to save. I got told to "enter the password."

Password?
    Password?!

WHAT :curse: password?

Where to I enter the *&##%@!! thing?wall1

AUUUUUGGHHHHH!!!!!
  16. the_spartan_fury

what version of pepakura is it? i could help you out if it's v2. you need to buy a password for v3 - i don't know how much it is. you can only export the developments to the clipboard without it!
  17. Kjev

Kjev Member

I just upgraded to V3 a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone have the install files for V2? (Stupid people, trying to actually make money off their product! [more unprintable grumbling and growling]

Other notes: Been reading Titanicus to see if I can find any details that might help Flarebaffled's Warlord. Kind of wish the author had followed the comic series with Imperious Dictatio a little bit. Apparently in a Warlord, the princeps is in an amniotic casket 27/7. Only lighter engines, like Warhounds, have princeps "plugged in" through cables and jacks.

And the Adeptus Mechanicus appears to be a bunch of cyborg religious zealots who worship machines.

Sorry. I drive a bulldozer as part of my job. I've cussed it a lot, but never really prayed to it.
  18. davitch

davitch Member

19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Anyone got some rear-end pictures of hte Arvus? All I seem to have are front and side elevations .... bit of a problem for a 3d build!!!!
  20. Kjev

Kjev Member

I have a really good 3D model someone did in Sketchup. REALLY detailed. PM me if you want it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.