Want to build a 1970 Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by pooka2hot4u, Jun 14, 2007.

1. pooka2hot4u

pooka2hot4u Member

Hi all
    With the coming of the summer and thus no school and not much to do, i decided to start a little project. Im going to build an RC 1970 Pontiac GTO.
    First I got the nikko 1/16 scale 69 GTO to use as a base but after trying it it was so crappy i wont even waste my time on it. The car sometimes needs a little nudge to move, steering controls are unresponsive. But i guess you cant expect much for a 20$ car from Toys R Us.
    What Im looking for now is a good 1/10 scale electric car or just chassis which would fit the size of a 70 GTO. I dont want nitro since im just starting out in RC and dont want to go in over my head. Ill make sure the body is easy to remove so when i decide to go nitro, it will be an easy thing to swap the body from the electric chassis to a nitro one.

Heres a list of things im looking for in the chassis (i dont care abut the body since i will replace it)

-Must be electric (no nitro)
    -Must fit a 1/10 scale 1970 Pontiac GTO
    -Should be controlled by a transmitter with one of those steering wheel things
    -Good response to commands
    -Nice to have working headlights but not necessary
    -Nice to have working suspension but not necessary.

The body will be made out of thin sheets of brass like those normally used for model building.

So any suggestions on a good chassis? I know NIKKO make a 1/10 scale Firebird thats very close in looks to a 1970 GTO but now that i got their GTO I really will not buy anything else they make unless i get good proof that it will be better.
  2. pooka2hot4u

pooka2hot4u Member

just looked it up and the wheelbase has to be 11.2 inches or somewhere in that area.
    and the track on both axles around 6 inches.
  3. Brother Ali

Brother Ali New Member

sounds like quite the project...be sure to post some pics when its done