Walther's Union Station

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by FrankG, Jan 12, 2005.

1. FrankG

FrankG Member

Just looking for some opinions.

I already have a large station for my layout, but just picked up Walther's new Union Station to repurpose in my urban setting.

I've thought of the following possibilities:

1.) Public Library
    2.) Museum
    3.) Post Office (there is one is Salt Lake City with almost identical architecture but I think the Walthers kit is a bit large)

So, which of these ideas do you think could work best work or any additional ideas that might work better?
  2. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

The architecture and size of the building is more along the lines of a museum. I suppose if your urban setting was that of a large city, it could be used as a post office or library as well.

My first impression was that it resembled some sort of government building, like an FBI branch office.
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

Not too far off the mark...here's what the Sacramento main downtown post office looks like today:
    [​IMG]
    And here's the Walthers union station:
    [​IMG]
  4. Blake

Blake Member

That's a pretty cool idea. Could also be a town hall or county seat building.
  5. FrankG

FrankG Member

The one idea I like about doing a museum, is that I can run those long flags down between the columns that they use to promote an exhibit.

Also, because the Union station roof is almost entirely skylights, I thought a museum or library would offer some cool interior possibilities.

But for some reason, I'm still stuck on post office.
  6. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Museum

I'd say museum of natural history. You could then have a mini dinosaur out front promoting the Jurassic displays.
  7. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Here's one..

Carnegie museum in Pittsburgh...

Attached Files:

8. pomperaugrr

pomperaugrr Member

The Union Station would make an excellent courthouse.

Eric
  9. 2slim

2slim Member

Frank,
    Haven't opened my kit, is the 'UNION STATION' cast in the front wall? It looks like it is in the illustration.

2slim
  10. FrankG

FrankG Member

No....it's not part of the mold. Union Station is a decal. They also include one for Grand Central Station as an alternative.
  11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Frank, I think the museum idea is an excellent one! And I like your idea about banners. Since you mention skylights and interiors, maybe that would be a good place for the dinosaur. Or, it could be a King Tut exhibit. You could have some school busses or tour busses parked outside, a hot dog vendor - maybe even a fancy awning.

On the other hand a post office, courthouse or library would work too - I just think the possibilities with a museum are more interesting. :D

You mention you have an urban setting. That's what I'm into too! :) :)

Would love to see some pix if you have any.

Val
  12. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Hmmm....
    I'm trying to make an Urban layout myself.
    I was going with the "Refresh the rundown docks" and the "NEW" style tourist hotels across the channel. Actually going to put a riverside shopping on one side of the channel.

The Musuem sounds cool. Drop some lights in it to show off what's inside.
  13. Puckeringswine

Puckeringswine New Member

I don't know youre era but, the Los Angeles Terminal Annex Post Office was part of the Union Passenger Terminal and was rail served, just a thought.
  14. FrankG

FrankG Member

Val....about the urban layout.....I've literally JUST started into this hobby -- N gauge. I done a good deal of modeling in the past, but not railroads. So, right now, I'm just concentrating on the key structures. The big ones that will take up a good amount of space or will get important placement. Then I'll do the track and fill in from there. So, no pictures as of yet. But I have seen what you've done and it looks fantastic.
  15. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks for the kind words Frank! Perhaps a few pix of your structures? Pleeeeaaase :) No pressure - whenever you're ready. I just can't get enough of urban modelling.

Val
  16. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

well speaking of Jurrasic ideas, i found two small jurrasic park cars that are in perfect size for my HO layout so im amkign a little section for them! I am also looking for a boxcar to paint metalic and put dinosaurs in for shipping!