Walther's Union Station

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Just looking for some opinions.

I already have a large station for my layout, but just picked up Walther's new Union Station to repurpose in my urban setting.

I've thought of the following possibilities:

1.) Public Library
2.) Museum
3.) Post Office (there is one is Salt Lake City with almost identical architecture but I think the Walthers kit is a bit large)

So, which of these ideas do you think could work best work or any additional ideas that might work better?

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
The architecture and size of the building is more along the lines of a museum. I suppose if your urban setting was that of a large city, it could be used as a post office or library as well.

My first impression was that it resembled some sort of government building, like an FBI branch office.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Not too far off the mark...here's what the Sacramento main downtown post office looks like today:
postoffcsac.jpg

And here's the Walthers union station:
nieuw200112_2.gif

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
The one idea I like about doing a museum, is that I can run those long flags down between the columns that they use to promote an exhibit.

Also, because the Union station roof is almost entirely skylights, I thought a museum or library would offer some cool interior possibilities.

But for some reason, I'm still stuck on post office.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
No....it's not part of the mold. Union Station is a decal. They also include one for Grand Central Station as an alternative.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Frank, I think the museum idea is an excellent one! And I like your idea about banners. Since you mention skylights and interiors, maybe that would be a good place for the dinosaur. Or, it could be a King Tut exhibit. You could have some school busses or tour busses parked outside, a hot dog vendor - maybe even a fancy awning.

On the other hand a post office, courthouse or library would work too - I just think the possibilities with a museum are more interesting. :D

You mention you have an urban setting. That's what I'm into too! :) :)

Would love to see some pix if you have any.

Val

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hmmm....
I'm trying to make an Urban layout myself.
I was going with the "Refresh the rundown docks" and the "NEW" style tourist hotels across the channel. Actually going to put a riverside shopping on one side of the channel.

The Musuem sounds cool. Drop some lights in it to show off what's inside.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Val....about the urban layout.....I've literally JUST started into this hobby -- N gauge. I done a good deal of modeling in the past, but not railroads. So, right now, I'm just concentrating on the key structures. The big ones that will take up a good amount of space or will get important placement. Then I'll do the track and fill in from there. So, no pictures as of yet. But I have seen what you've done and it looks fantastic.