Walthers Cornerstone Structures

Has anyone used walthers Cornerstone Building Kits? And how realistic are they?? I've seen some of your layouts, and they look too realistic to be store bought kits. But with my lack of artistic ability, I'll have to settle for the kits. Any suggestions???

Thanx, planeshavings :confused:

Tyson Rayles

IMHO the kits do make realistic buildings (you can also bash em' to make them more original). However one of the kits I bought had missing parts and parts that didn't fit right, as well as warped wall sections (George Roberts Printing--N-Scale). The hobby shop called Walthers and got the missing parts replaced, I had to live with the rest.

C

Catt

Artistic ability is something you can learn, actually to my way of thinking it is self taught in this hobby.:D

As far as suggestions go,I would suggest you look for some built up kits at trainshows(cheap ones don't pay more than a couple bucks for em),take these home and practice painting and detailing them.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
planeshavings42

I have quite a few of these cornerstone kits in N scale and found them fun to build. They look great on my layout. Painting as Catt points out is very important to make them look realistic and not just a toy.

Used Models

Originally posted by Catt!
Artistic ability is something you can learn, actually to my way of thinking it is self taught in this hobby.:D

As far as suggestions go,I would suggest you look for some built up kits at trainshows(cheap ones don't pay more than a couple bucks for em),take these home and practice painting and detailing them.

Great idea of buying used kits and practicing painting on them, Also may be able to Bash parts to use. The artistic part I'm still not so sure of. Thanx for the G-R-E-A-T suggestion CATT.
planeshavings :cool:

Bad Kit

Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
IMHO the kits do make realistic buildings (you can also bash em' to make them more original). However one of the kits I bought had missing parts and parts that didn't fit right, as well as warped wall sections (George Roberts Printing--N-Scale). The hobby shop called Walthers and got the missing parts replaced, I had to live with the rest.

Sorry to hear about the bad kit, Tyson You'd think they would have immediatly just replaced the kit with a new one for public relations. It sounds as though you've done several others and apparently without problems, so I guess one in many isn't too bad. Thanx for the advise. Happy railing.
planeshavings :rolleyes:

C

Catt

I think we all have abit of the artist in us.If you stop and think about it model railroading in plain simple terms is nothing but plain old artist expression.:D

Originally posted by Matthyro
planeshavings42

I have quite a few of these cornerstone kits in N scale and found them fun to build. They look great on my layout. Painting as Catt points out is very important to make them look realistic and not just a toy.

Matthyro, thanx for the affirmation on cornerstone kits, will be looking forward to painting and assembling, however there was a time in my life when I would of had to get this thing up and running in a hurry, but now I'm looking forward to doing it right and enjoying the process. Dang, I wish I'd of had more patience when I was younger. Happy Railing, planeshavings :D

Tyson Rayles

planeshavings I wasn't trying to talk you out of em'! Overall they are excellent kits I just got one that wasn't. You are right to take it slow and easy, that's what I'm doing now and while it's taking me longer to get things done I'm finding I don't have to redo as much (notice I didn't say I didn't have to redo anything :D ). Good luck and keep us posted.

Drew1125

Hi Planeshavings!
I'm a die-hard kit-mangler...I mean kit-basher !:D
I LOVE Walthers kits!
They have good tooling, & a great assortmenr of detail parts.
Here's a factory I made from Walthers kit parts. (& some other odds & ends)
While these are masses production models, T think that with a little imagination, you can make them unique to your layout.

Attachments

• evm1.jpg
    evm1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 64