Walter Schirra Memorial Mercury Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, May 6, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Reference pictures

These are all I have of the real hardware, for the Retro Pack, Ant. Can, & Bag, (Colors for paint). I have the model pictures that have been sent, (But very little on the bag).

Carl
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Opps!

The circle for the hatch at the top of the inner bulkhead, is wrong. It is off center and too small. I will correct this, (Opps!). I will also go on and draw the hatch & handle.

Carl
  3. airbob

airbob Member

need email!

Have finished the capsule skin...let me know by personel mail how to do the lower strip...need your email for this ,please leave in my personal mail...am at office and don't have the charter mail to use here... Bob out...
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Just sent it!

The email address is in your p.m., (Looking forward to seeing Your work). I will also forward all the pictures of the exterior, that have been sent in to Me.

Carl
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Update!

Interior Files & the Retro pack, (With landing bag), will be published tomorrow. The tower is turning into another bugger to design, (Should have done it first). I will have it, and the astronaut figure, done by friday night/sat. morning. Bob has all the exterior research now. I talked with Him yesterday. If He needs Me to jump in after saturday, (I will be glad to help). I went back and detailed the interior of the main hatch, interior hatch, & window. The exterior will have indented thrusters too, (Need to send them to Bob today). Thanks for waiting and helping guys, (This is turning out to be more of a labo,r than I was thinking it would be, (But it should be worth the effort)).

Carl
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Exterior Corrugation Rendering

Great work, Bob!

This looks far more real. Perhaps a little bit too black - it should probably be very dark neutral gray.
    There is much more 3D effect on this 'skin'. But skip the louvers on the very bottom strips, where the bolts/rivets are - that area should be flat.

You´re getting there - I like your unrelenting dedication to the project.

All the best,
    Bengt :D
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks!

Thanks John! There has been a lot of progress with Me, and Bob today. I think this will be finished soon.

Carl
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sorry!

I missed posting the Astronaut, & Retro pack previews, Yesterday. I will try to get them out Today. I have been working hard to have a Astronaut framework, that We can modify for future projects, as well as this one. I think I have it right now. Try to get it painted by tonight.

Carl
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Preview of the Astro

The Head will be finished tonight. Please review this, and comment, (Tell Me if You think the colors, and/or figure, are off base).

Carl
  11. airbob

airbob Member

Carl,
    Looks like something that Leonardo Da Vinci would have done!!!....I love it!!!:grin:
  12. airbob

airbob Member

Bengt,
    Thanks for the critique....you have such a good eye for precise detail!!!....you would make such a tough school teacher!!!:twisted:
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Bob

Thanks! I am not the goto guy for the human figure, (I have been messing around with ways to make the figure work for (2) days). I did the draw of the full figure to have a model to drag from. I could redo the parts in a more rounded form, (if You Folks think it sucks with hard corners). I will have time to work on it more on Sunday. I want some input to see if this is the right, (or wrong), track. How are You coming with Your exterior details? No pressure Just wondering.

Have a great night,

Carl
  14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Carl,

You've really hit on where I was trying to go with the Astonaut. 1000% improvement. Very realistic and your coloring looks great.
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Exterior Rendering

Thanks Bob,

That´s probably because I am used to critical seeing, being the photographer that I am. I hope you don´t I am treating you too tough. I get all exited about this opportunity to take part in the process and give constructive criticism (I hope).

I think you are doing just great - my main objections/points are; don´t make the capsule too dark black overall - the 'real thing' has a very dark dull, semi-matte neutral gray color, and make the reflections on the lower edge of the louver pattern thinner. The daylight hits only the slightly rounded lower edge (provided the capsule is pointing straight up, of course). By contrast, under the upper edge in the 'louver hollow', a thin shadow forms.

On the antenna fairing, or 'radio can' as it is more popularly known, the 'louver' reinforcements 'bulge' outwards - hence, the reflective light catches the upper rounded top first and then runs down in a thin strip, and the shadow forms from the bottom bulge and spreads upwards on both sides of the 'bulge' as very thin, soft lines.

And don´t forget all the little (and big) letters, digits, flags, the red frame around the inner capsule window, the halfmoon-shaped 'lid' on the 'radio can', etc, etc . . .
    But of course you already thought about that.

All the best and good luck,
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Astronaut Figure

Carl,

The astronaut figure looks good - he´s even got the little round chest mirror.
    Perhaps a little bit 'boxy', though? The colors are nice.

All the best,
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Morning!

I am going to Macon, to have a meeting for My Son's study trip, (to Germany). I will work on the Astronauts figure more in the morning. I was going to pick-up the Atomic City Model, (of the Merc-Redstone), while I am there, (Hobby Shop has (2) in stock, (Called them last night)). I want it for a better reference of the subject matter, (Something about holding the parts in ones hand, (LOL)).

Have a great day,

Carl
    P.S.
    I will check back in here around 10:00pm est, (To see if I have missed any updates).
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Good morning, Carl,

Will you have any chance to spot some airships while you´re in Macon?
    Perhaps they´re long gone now . . .

Safe journey!
  19. airbob

airbob Member

Sigma7 capsule sine revision

This is a sample of the lighter version of the Sigma7 capsule skin with the brown rivet plate at the bottom....
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

New Mercury Exterior Rendering

Great work, Bob,

This looks very realistic indeed - you have achieved just the right amount of light and shade.
    There´s only one thing that I noticed - the dotted rectangle around the 'Sigma 7' ensignia. Shouldn´t it follow the slightly rounded shape of the steel plates? Do you have it as a separate layer? If so, I assume it might be possible to 'bend' it a little?
    I noticed one other little detail - it´s the area where the two roll thrusters are on the lower part of the exterior. I´d recommend that you somehow shade the insides or depressions on both sides, where the thruster nozzles are placed. As an option for a 3D effect, you could cut along the inner part of the line and add sides - something like this:

[​IMG]

Here´s the real thing (detail of photo by Michael Urban):

[​IMG]

This model is coming together very nicely now!

All the best,

PS (edited in): Ooops - my mistake, sorry. The dotted rectangle shouldn´t be there at all - on David Weeks´drawing on page 7 of this thread it marks the spot on the exterior of the Atomic City 'Project: Mercury' plastic model where the mission ensignias should be placed . . .