Walter Schirra Memorial Mercury Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bengt F, May 6, 2007.

1. airbob

airbob Member

continuing texturing the Mercury capsule skin...

Still orking with texturing this Mercury skin...approaching more to what I have in mind...:wink:
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I see!

That should be a easy fix. It will still give folks the option of doing pressure impressions, (If the want to). Are You going to do the re-painting, (or did You want Me to do it)? I can whip it out tonight if You want Me to, (No big deal).

Thanks again, (This is going to be one cool looking model!),

Carl
  3. airbob

airbob Member

Carl,
    OK...now I've got it....(by jove I think he's got it!)....is this OK?....if so give me the final whole copy of the skin and I can do the whole skin....tedious...but it really looks good, I feel!:twisted:
  4. Peter P

Peter P New Member

carl, send me your mailadress,ive got 170 mb pics and plans about the mercurycapsules....:roll:
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

P P I need Your Email

Please private message Me so I can Give You My Post Mail address.

Thanks,

Carl
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Capsule Longitudal Steel Plating Recinforcement 'Louvers'

A-OK, Bob,

You´re probably on the right track there - please note, though, that these louvers are depressions in the flat steel plating and that they typically leave rounded corners where they end - that means that the color shade of the plates are exactly the same around the depressions as it is on the insides, it is the reflections of the light that causes highlights and shadows in the semi-glossy 'washboard-like" painted steel surface:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biggest challence in designing a convincing card model of the Mercury capsule is probably in reproducing the intricate reinforced 'washboard-looking' textured steel surface. This is how Delta 7 Studios have chosen to render these highlights and shadows (detail of "Sigma 7" model) - shadows near the top and highlights near the bottom (I have taken the liberty of reducing the blue color and enhancing the contrast somewhat):

[​IMG]

The Gemini capsules were made with the same kind of steel plating technique - remove the white 'skirt' on the Gemini and what you have is a bigger and longer Mercury capsule.

Go for it, Bob, you´re almost there.

All the best,
    Bengt :D

PS. I have realized that the suggestion I had for the post-flight version is probably much too red. Based on what I have seen of the Apollo capsules (which had a chrome silver Mylar strip surface and not a painted gray-black steel plating, though), it should probably be somewhere in between the dark brown-yellow of the Apollo 10 in the Science Museum in London and the recovered (in 2000) and cleaned-up "Liberty Bell 7" capsule:

The Apollo 10 Command Module:
    [​IMG]

Gus Grissom´s ill-fated "Liberty Bell 7" Mercury capsule:
    [​IMG]
  7. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Morning Carl,

I sent my Astronaut SketchUp files to you via e-mail . Feel free to tweek and modify as much as you want, and I'll be very interested to see the improvements. I had to keep him simple, so that he would be easy to assemble at 1:32 scale. If anyone wants a shot at him, I can post the files in the Parts Bin.

After seeing the American / German soldier build in the Figurine Forum, I realized that someone with vision could create a truly life-like figure.
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I have been down all morning!

Just catching up, (Internet went down for awhile). The smoke from the fires is getting real bad here. I just went out to Wal-Mart, (They are passing out dust masks for free). You can't see 100 yards in front of You, outside. I will be working on the interior paint & the Astonout today, (All day). I will try and get a preview out tomorrow. I will combine it all together with the exterior that is being redone, (By another member), and see if We can get this put to bed early next week. Thanks for all the research data that has been puring in. Can anyone post a color picture of the landing bag, (all mine are Black, and White).

Carl
    P.S.
    If anyone has a good on-orbit picture of the ASTP Soyuz, (I would really like to put the flag and lettering on that model next week too). Then final Skylab, & move on to the LEM.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Model Embossing Experiment

Hey carl,

That sounds pretty bad - you´d better stay inside for the remainder of the day.
    I conducted a very small and brief embossing experiment with a metal dowel on the Delta 7 "Sigma 7" Mercury Model. I tried first with a soft mouse pad, but that was too soft (at least mine was) and I tore up the paper a bit - I had better control with a newspaper and the paper didn´t crack up as much.

The back side:

[​IMG]

The printed side - the light reflects pretty good on the lower parts:

[​IMG]

I will make some more experiments, including wetting the paper with a thin mist of water from a flower spray flask. Then I have to be really careful with the amount of pressure on the card.
    Interestingly, for the top part of the Mercury model - the antenna fairing or 'radio can' - this corrugated texture bulges outward. So, there you´d have to emboss very carefully from the back side of the printed paper (and probably touch up a bit with water colors afterwards).

Now for 'something completely different', as Monty Python used to say:
    I have revised my suggestion for the color of your post-flight version of the Mercury capsule - I think it´s probably wise to take it easy with the color, as we don´t know exactly how it looked at the recovery of "Sigma 7" - what do you think about this rather faint yellow-brown color tone?:

[​IMG]

Signing off for now,
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Looking good!

Great ideas! The color of the Sigma can be seen by looking at the display @ the Astronauts hall of fame, (Online). I have been there many times. I will look back at My personal photos too. The Swizzle stick is going to be a part of the interior for that mission too. We are going to have to have different options for the control panels of the all the missions. They had different config's. on the later missions.

Have a great day, (Ain't this fun?),

Carl
  11. airbob

airbob Member

This is the progress, so far...this is not prefect....but it's about the limit of my talent:oops: :cry: ....I'm wilting....need to stop for now!!!...here Michelob....here Michelob!!!:twisted:
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That is a very nice bit of recolouring.
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Very Nice!

I will have the interior ready for a peak in the on Sunday. Do You want the tunnel, and the ant. can, for deatil too, (To make it all match Your re-paint). I would also look at some reference pictures, for the detail between the hatch, and window, (Just a heads up, (Something looks strange there to Me)). I have to go to a dance for My Girl, (I will send them to You in the morning, (Heat Shield too if You wish)). Can You take .dwg, .dxf, .pdf, or .cdr files, (Or do they have to be .jpeg). I will check back around 10:00pm est.

Have a great night folks, (The best is yet to come)!

Carl
    P.S.
    I still need a color picture of the landing bag, (If anyone out there has one)
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Mercury, Apollo, apollo Soyuz, LRV....

When do you start the Shuttle Carl?
    Great work guys

John John
  15. airbob

airbob Member

I have Photoshop...so pdf is good....yes you can give me the other parts...enjoy your dance!
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'll send it all to You by Mid day tomorrow

Have a great Night!

Carl
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Capsule Longitudal Steel Plating Recinforcement 'Louvers'

Hi Bob,

You´re doing great, but try to get some white 'reflective light' on the lower parts of your 'louvers' or depressions. It might otherwise look like some kind of hollow grating.
    The depressions of the thick steel plates of the Mercury capsule aren´t that deep and they are almost 'half-moon' rounded.
    Note also (see the last photo of "Liberty Bell 7" on p. 5 of this thread) that these depressions don´t go all the way down towards where the heat shield begins. The large rivets, with their even larger washers, need flat plates for the joints to work out.
    If you make your 'depression louvers' just a wee bit smaller and put a streak of reflective light on the lower 'edge', you´re home!

Carl,

I couldn´t find any color photo of the "Sigma 7" capsule when I Googled for "Astronaut´s Hall of Fame". Do you have one that you could post?
    It would be very interesting to see if that capsule have been washed completely clean, too.
    Perhaps it´s best to skip the color completely? The burnt-up Mylar tape of the Apollo CM we know results in a yellow-brown, crackled surface,
    but the Mercury seems to be much less affected. What´s your view on this?

All the best,

18. Peter P

Peter P New Member

carl got my texture files,maybe he can give them to you,for the hull.
    ive made them from the original capsule...
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Peter P,

That sounds very interesting, indeed.

Carl,
    Could you post a portion of Peter´s files, for discussion and feedback purposes?

Best,
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Forwarded to You

I have forwarded the file to You to look thru, (and post as You see fit). Thanks for Your great support and research files, (Keep it flowing, (I'm on a roll today)).

Bob write me off group I have a idea!!

Carl