wallpaper paste

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Goatman,
Yes it can be done using wallpaper paste and newspaper, cut up some newspaper around 8" square and paste it over your former (Sreen wire/etc) piece by piece. It will need at least 10 layers letting each one dry off first. Does work, but takes hours to dry out.

Shamus
wink.gif

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
I used to use this technique, but like Shamus says it takes awhile to dry and you need alot of layers. I have found plaster gauze works much better and if you go to a medical supply store is realatively cheap.

Lackawanna Jim

Nov 27, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Hey Goatman;

I agree with NYCentral here; the plaster gauze works great. Even mixing up some plaster and dipping your newspaper in THAT will go faster.

Another concern about the wallpaper paste is mold. Even though most pastes have some kind of fungicide, I would worry about mold growth because it could take so long to dry... Like Shamus says, you have to let each layer dry thoroughly first...

Just a thought...

Jim

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
A Wallpaper Paste Story

Hi Goat, Not trying to phoo-phoo the idea:D We tried that once on a club layout and it did work out pretty good although it was pretty work intensive. The biggest drawback was the smell:eek:

Seems we used some wallpaper paste that was casine based (made from sour milk). Our building was not air conditioned and it came a hot day and the stuff "soured" PHEEEEEW!!!:eek: :D

Now as Paul Harvey says..."Here's the rest of the story...." It gets better (or worse) LOL!!!

Seems that the "engineer in charge" of this project had mixed the wallpaper paste up in an old gallon mayonaise jar without thourghly washing it out!!!! Since mayo is made from eggs!!! Things just got worse!!!

Well, the club's "resident rocket scientist" said he could fix the problem by spraying the offending area with Lysol. He was dispatched to the corner market for a can and returned to throughly douse the foul smelling mountain.

In short....what we ended up with was a mountain that smelled like a hospital, a dirty restroom and a chicken coop!!!!!!!....The "problem" was finally solved by the use of a sabre saw and the depositing of the mountain, the "engineer in charge" and the "rocket scientist" in the trash can!!!!!!!!!