Wagons and Rolling Stock

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
I was wondering if it would be possible to start a thread for wagons, and other rolling stock :D:D:D ?

I'll start the ball rolling with my new N scale wagons I got today:

n008.jpg

n006.jpg

n007.jpg

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Interesting...an American modeller in central England! I was expecting to see British or European wagons and carriages in this thread. Do you have an American hobby shop in Birmingham or do you mail order?

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
LOL, I'm not a fan of British layouts...they're too dark and dirty, and they all look the same:rolleyes:

I love American stuff, you can't beat UP stuff:D:D

My model shop has a bit of American N they order in...no buildings though, but I'll scratchbuild. I get by:)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Looks good! Have you seen "Robin At His Best" in the academy? His stuff scratch built from cereal boxes will give you a clinic on how to scratch build any structure. By the way he was working in n scale as well.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
dr.5euss said:
I love American stuff, you can't beat UP stuff:D :D
With comments like that, i know a friend you will quickly gain!;):D NICE freight cars George!!!:thumb: Please tell us more about your layout & plans:D. THANKS!:D -Deano

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
LOL Deano :D

OK, I did have an L shape, 17ft by 11ft, 2 ft wide, but I couldn't really see anything at the end of the 17ft, and I was struggling to fill it with stuff, so I decided I need a change :thumb:

It was Arizona, then I made it the Midwest, so here's what I've been doing, tearing up the olf polystyrene to go for a yardy feel like Deano's stuff:):

It was like this:

n005.jpg

But I ripped it up for that yardy feel where I can watch the trains roll by:

n010.jpg

You got me thinking again though, Deano (he is the mansign1 ), maybe I should go for an end to end. Might be nice for a loop just to let them go round.

I'll sleep on it ;)

George

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WOW GEORGE!!!, you are really making some big changes, and it looks like its coming along NICELY!:thumb: the scenic shots look GREAT TOO!!:thumb: that MKT has seen better days;).

operations are nice, my current layout is a switching layout, so its ALL operations. Honestly though, i really miss not having a "rail fanning layout":(. sometimes its nice just to let the engines go, and admire watching them run through the scenery;). thats one thing i REALLY like about my dads layout:thumb:, its basically a huge dogbone. it has tons of industries to do operations if you want, or you can just walk around the layout and admire the train as it goes through the scenery:D.

ANYWAYS, THANK YOU!, for posting the pics:thumb:, and please keep us informed on your progress;). THANKS GEORGE!!!:D

:D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
George...one minute you're in the desert and the next you're in the midwest! I loved your desert scenery and I'm sorry to see it go:cry: but this new look is flat out AWESOME!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
KEEP posting your progress!!!!!!:thumb:

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
Thanks very much :D

Dunno if I'm qualified to do this (we'll soon see :D ), but here's what I did to weather my wagon....

I wanted a drip drip effect, so I started with some Burnt Sienna acrylic on the top half. Acrylic's good becuase you can wash it off with a toothbrush and water ;) :

weather001.jpg

The trouble with that, is the the lower half is too plasticky and shiny :curse:. So we need to put a 'basecoat' of simple weathering on first :thumb:. So I covered it with more acrylic, just drybrushed on:

weather002.jpg

That's very flat :rolleyes:, so I'm going to use varying colours of chalks (but mostly the dark brown and reddy ones announce1):

weather003.jpg

Now it's time to add the drip drip effect I went for at the start :thumb::

weather004.jpg

Looks a bit top heavy though, like a Christmas pudding :D, so lets add some pastelly chalks to the top half:

weather005.jpg

Finished :thumb:!

weather006.jpg

What d'you guys think? Any comments at all would be good...this is my first wagon I've weathered so any tips would be good :)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
With covered hoppers I generally decide first what is going to be hauled in them. They are loaded from the top, so whatever thay are loaded with will tend to spill over the sides a bit. To dull the plastic shine, I use dull coat. For water base paints there is Floquil Polyscale flat finish. The flat finish can be added before or after the weathering is completed. Some loads like concrete, will tend to spill over the top of the hopper and be streaked down the sides, other loads, like plastic pellets won't stick at all. Dirt will tend to be kicked up in two streaks by the car in front and back of each car in a train. A little dirt will tend to accumulate along the bottom of the car on each side. Dirt and dust may also fall on top of the car when sitting, and then when it gets rained on it will tend to wash down in streaks, usually kind of subtle. The dirt will change color depending on where it comes from. Clay found in Georgia will tend toward a red color, but probably a bit more brownish than the red dirt you will find in the Southwest through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Southern Nevada. Rust will tend to start at rivets, or at any point where the paint is damaged, and the rust stains will run down from the source of the rust. Finally, you will get smoke and soot all over the car if it goes through tunnels more so in the steam era, but in diesels as well.

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
A Model Power boxcar (I really like this one :D )

n014.jpg

The Penn Salt tanker (I took Russ' advice here and decided that salt wouldn't stain the sides :D )

n013.jpg

I did some more work on the hopper:

n012.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
George, NICE F units!:thumb: of the three weathered cars, the CONRAIL wins the prize:thumb:, i like the B&O too:thumb:. i have seen a couple cars that rusted, but usually you can see the reporting marks on them;). although, there is an old UP gon that is usually at LANS(a local scrapper) that is much like the B&O hopper you have done, you can only vaguely read about 3 letters of Union Pacific on it, and none of the reporting marks;). NICE WORK!:thumb:

:D -Deano

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
On the Penn Salt tank car, I'm not sure how they load those. If the salt is loaded as a brine and is allowed to spill down the side of the car, it would cause rust, especially anywhere the paint was chipped.