Vote for the life of a thread

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by alfadoc, Apr 14, 2007.

1. dinsour

dinsour Member

You know what people, This is begining to sound like a union meeting. Everyone arguing over every little thing. I thought I was done with that when I retired. I will not vote because in the grand schem of things, IT IS A NON ISSUE!!!!

------:cry: Ron
  2. dinsour

dinsour Member

You know what people, This is begining to sound like a union meeting. Everyone arguing over every little thing. I thought I was done with that when I retired. I will not vote because in the grand schem of things, IT IS A NON ISSUE!!!!

------:cry: Ron
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

What the hell is this about now.

I thought it was about the remark about the shuttle disaster in the previous thread, but it seems to have changed to a conversation about sware words covered with *#.

I have to admit I did not like the way the article was wrote (about challenger and Senna as well). I have not said it as strong as this before, but I thought it was a sick joke, that should have been stopped straight away. But I thought the idea of showing damaged models for a thread was great.

About the 'bad' words, there are kids present on the forum, so weather they are spelled write or not, they should not be allowed on the forums. And this means putting %*# to hide the words aswell.

At the moment there is to much conversation about who wrote what and weather it was wrong to write it or not.

I have been a member on here a while now and I have never seen the forum as bad as it has been in the last couple of weeks. members are swearing, arguing and silly things are being wrote. This forum is about card/paper modeling. If I wanted to be offended I would have gone elsewhere.

Admins and mod's need to take hold of this situation and correct it, because members are going to stop coming here soon.
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

What the hell is this about now.

I thought it was about the remark about the shuttle disaster in the previous thread, but it seems to have changed to a conversation about sware words covered with *#.

I have to admit I did not like the way the article was wrote (about challenger and Senna as well). I have not said it as strong as this before, but I thought it was a sick joke, that should have been stopped straight away. But I thought the idea of showing damaged models for a thread was great.

About the 'bad' words, there are kids present on the forum, so weather they are spelled write or not, they should not be allowed on the forums. And this means putting %*# to hide the words aswell.

At the moment there is to much conversation about who wrote what and weather it was wrong to write it or not.

I have been a member on here a while now and I have never seen the forum as bad as it has been in the last couple of weeks. members are swearing, arguing and silly things are being wrote. This forum is about card/paper modeling. If I wanted to be offended I would have gone elsewhere.

Admins and mod's need to take hold of this situation and correct it, because members are going to stop coming here soon.
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Okay, I voted in this, but never said anything until now. I figured everyone else would cover what I felt, but now I 've changed my mind an want to throw in my 2 or 3 cents...

1. Swearing is unneccesary. Period. People have stated, and proven, their kids come here. This is a family hobby. Plus, it is a forum, not a live chat. You have plenty of time to think about what you want to say, which should give you more than enough time to remove known offensive terms. This won't always happen, but I will cover that in a minute

2. Public "Net-Copping" should cease. If you have an issue with a post, or you think there may be potential someone else may have an issue with it, notify a staff member. Or, shoot the poster a polite PM informing them of your feelings (What you said in such-and-such thread could be taken as...). The site has an appointed staff for a reason. The public "Net-Copping" (for lack of a better term) usually just makes the problem worse by opening it to wide spread discussion, blowing it out of proportion, and detracting from the original intent of the thread. For this reaon, I personally feel that PMs should not be an option that can be turned off. PM a staff memeber, use the report button, or if the poster is still online (green dot next to their name) shoot them a PM real quick. So far, the members here all seem extremely polite and cooperative. A gtentle nudge would likely give them the opportunity to rethink their words. Calling someone out in public will general make a normal person quite defensive.

3. People need to relax!! For the mast majority of us, this is just a hobby!! I know a few designers make some money, and one person mentioned they use their models for work. But the rest of us are doing this for fun and relaxation. Why shouldn't our community be the same? Anyone who has ever had dealings with a group of people larger than one person should be aware some times things are said that in the speakers mind sound just fine, once spoken just come across wrong to the listener. Especially in a club type setting (not night club, but car club, modelling club, ham radio club, etc). Jokes are told. Opinions are voiced. People just talk in general. And when people talk, listeners can potentially misunderstand and/or be offended. It's going to happen. But, unless it is seriously offensive, people generally just ignore it, right? Walking on egg shells worrying that everything you say may be publicly disparaged will chase off more members than the occasional slip of the tongue.

I know there was more that I wanted to bring up, but I think the above cover what I felt were the major issues, so I'll put the soap box away for now.

In summary, have fun. But think about your audience. When there is an issue, use the tools provided to address the issue, Don't raise a ruckus, that's just advertising the problem, potentially making it worse.

As to the original thread this topic was addressing, it might have been a bit off-color, but I didn't find it offensive to the point of being deleted or edited.
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Okay, I voted in this, but never said anything until now. I figured everyone else would cover what I felt, but now I 've changed my mind an want to throw in my 2 or 3 cents...

1. Swearing is unneccesary. Period. People have stated, and proven, their kids come here. This is a family hobby. Plus, it is a forum, not a live chat. You have plenty of time to think about what you want to say, which should give you more than enough time to remove known offensive terms. This won't always happen, but I will cover that in a minute

2. Public "Net-Copping" should cease. If you have an issue with a post, or you think there may be potential someone else may have an issue with it, notify a staff member. Or, shoot the poster a polite PM informing them of your feelings (What you said in such-and-such thread could be taken as...). The site has an appointed staff for a reason. The public "Net-Copping" (for lack of a better term) usually just makes the problem worse by opening it to wide spread discussion, blowing it out of proportion, and detracting from the original intent of the thread. For this reaon, I personally feel that PMs should not be an option that can be turned off. PM a staff memeber, use the report button, or if the poster is still online (green dot next to their name) shoot them a PM real quick. So far, the members here all seem extremely polite and cooperative. A gtentle nudge would likely give them the opportunity to rethink their words. Calling someone out in public will general make a normal person quite defensive.

3. People need to relax!! For the mast majority of us, this is just a hobby!! I know a few designers make some money, and one person mentioned they use their models for work. But the rest of us are doing this for fun and relaxation. Why shouldn't our community be the same? Anyone who has ever had dealings with a group of people larger than one person should be aware some times things are said that in the speakers mind sound just fine, once spoken just come across wrong to the listener. Especially in a club type setting (not night club, but car club, modelling club, ham radio club, etc). Jokes are told. Opinions are voiced. People just talk in general. And when people talk, listeners can potentially misunderstand and/or be offended. It's going to happen. But, unless it is seriously offensive, people generally just ignore it, right? Walking on egg shells worrying that everything you say may be publicly disparaged will chase off more members than the occasional slip of the tongue.

I know there was more that I wanted to bring up, but I think the above cover what I felt were the major issues, so I'll put the soap box away for now.

In summary, have fun. But think about your audience. When there is an issue, use the tools provided to address the issue, Don't raise a ruckus, that's just advertising the problem, potentially making it worse.

As to the original thread this topic was addressing, it might have been a bit off-color, but I didn't find it offensive to the point of being deleted or edited.
  7. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

I like the feature in this forum that the original poster can edit their posts after the fact. That way I can fix my mistakes. I bet Don Imus wishes he had this feature.

One decent way to respond to something that is questionable is to PM the person responsible and state your case. Maybe even suggest alternatives to the way it was originally stated.

-Jim G
  8. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

I like the feature in this forum that the original poster can edit their posts after the fact. That way I can fix my mistakes. I bet Don Imus wishes he had this feature.

One decent way to respond to something that is questionable is to PM the person responsible and state your case. Maybe even suggest alternatives to the way it was originally stated.

-Jim G
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I feel sad. I now realize why a thread like this is counterproductive ( I'm slow).
    This thread, having nothing to do with cardmodeling, has gotten MORE attention, than a post of a new free cardmodel built by the designer.

A very cool cardmodel...

I, once again, apologise to the group, I feel responsible for this, you have taught me a lesson.

:cry:
  10. thewoodengraver

I feel sad. I now realize why a thread like this is counterproductive ( I'm slow).
    This thread, having nothing to do with cardmodeling, has gotten MORE attention, than a post of a new free cardmodel built by the designer.

A very cool cardmodel...

I, once again, apologise to the group, I feel responsible for this, you have taught me a lesson.

:cry:
  11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Phil, why do you feel responsible for what is going on. I think this thread was started due to comments made on another thread entitled 'my dogs first model'

This thread and the other thread involved should now be locked and deleted.

I am not usually outspoken like this, but this bickering needs to stop.
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Phil, why do you feel responsible for what is going on. I think this thread was started due to comments made on another thread entitled 'my dogs first model'

This thread and the other thread involved should now be locked and deleted.

I am not usually outspoken like this, but this bickering needs to stop.
  13. thewoodengraver

Only that, I made it okay to be super-sensitive by being so.
  14. thewoodengraver

Only that, I made it okay to be super-sensitive by being so.
  15. dinsour

dinsour Member

final solution

Phil, I think I have an idea. I'm going to make a paper or card stock shot gun. No wait I don't have the skills for that. The best I can do is make spitballs out of my left over paper. If i use a soda straw, I can shoot the spitballs at the screen if some one makes a improper remark. Oh wait, that wouldn't work either because then I would have to clean them off my screen. I'm lazy so I'll just beat them about the head and shoulders with a wet noodle instead. Now if I could only find a way to reach through my screen and get at them,.. MAKE sense? :lol: About the same as what has been going on here.

-------73 Ron
  16. dinsour

dinsour Member

final solution

Phil, I think I have an idea. I'm going to make a paper or card stock shot gun. No wait I don't have the skills for that. The best I can do is make spitballs out of my left over paper. If i use a soda straw, I can shoot the spitballs at the screen if some one makes a improper remark. Oh wait, that wouldn't work either because then I would have to clean them off my screen. I'm lazy so I'll just beat them about the head and shoulders with a wet noodle instead. Now if I could only find a way to reach through my screen and get at them,.. MAKE sense? :lol: About the same as what has been going on here.

-------73 Ron
  17. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I like the idea about the shot gun, but I think you would kill yourself if you used real cartridges.
  18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I like the idea about the shot gun, but I think you would kill yourself if you used real cartridges.
  19. dinsour

dinsour Member

LOL no the shells would be paper too. And ground up paper dust for powder.

:twisted: 73 Ron
  20. dinsour

dinsour Member

LOL no the shells would be paper too. And ground up paper dust for powder.

:twisted: 73 Ron