Vote for the life of a thread

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by alfadoc, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

this is gonna become a forum of love-in threads ... if someone is going to be so worried about what they are going to post then they should no post at all. I am registered on a digital art forum where I RARELY post because there is a group of members that create art which is good but are able to post whatever they want and have a fan-boy following to keep their threads alive and any critique made against the art is barraged with ironic negative comments. When someone posts an honest and well thought out reply which goes against praise and is actually constructive in critique the op gets angry and demands the thread closed and it is.

1. If your ready to take praise in a thread then you should be just as willing to recieve criticism.
    2. The only kind of criticism that should be posted should be constructive.

Anyone else want to add?
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

this is gonna become a forum of love-in threads ... if someone is going to be so worried about what they are going to post then they should no post at all. I am registered on a digital art forum where I RARELY post because there is a group of members that create art which is good but are able to post whatever they want and have a fan-boy following to keep their threads alive and any critique made against the art is barraged with ironic negative comments. When someone posts an honest and well thought out reply which goes against praise and is actually constructive in critique the op gets angry and demands the thread closed and it is.

1. If your ready to take praise in a thread then you should be just as willing to recieve criticism.
    2. The only kind of criticism that should be posted should be constructive.

Anyone else want to add?
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Just that, it is OKAY to talk about these things.

Why does the world not accept feelings?

I don't think he is worried, he wants to know us...let him.
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Just that, it is OKAY to talk about these things.

Why does the world not accept feelings?

I don't think he is worried, he wants to know us...let him.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

True, words do have multiple meanings, which is why you have to look for the context. I suspect that ***** in the negative sense as in "vicious *****" comes from how the female is implacable in the defence of her pups.

As for inviting me to sing...be afraid, be very afraid...
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

True, words do have multiple meanings, which is why you have to look for the context. I suspect that ***** in the negative sense as in "vicious *****" comes from how the female is implacable in the defence of her pups.

As for inviting me to sing...be afraid, be very afraid...
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ha! You lot are frumping dugsnitches! Worms are worms, but I musn't say that in case I upset worms!! Well, worms I say! WORMS!!!!!!

Make of that what you will.

Tim
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ha! You lot are frumping dugsnitches! Worms are worms, but I musn't say that in case I upset worms!! Well, worms I say! WORMS!!!!!!

Make of that what you will.

Tim
  9. Kaz

Kaz Member

Theres many a word whose original meaning has been clouded by the passing of time, including the name of a female native american that John Wayne used to use. Squ*w.
    Eskimo is not nice, nor is the name of a man from Nigeria, an egg laden fish and a pregnant camel.
    To be honest, I never voted, because the original thread hasn't offended me, but Im not sure if its been edited.
  10. Kaz

Kaz Member

Theres many a word whose original meaning has been clouded by the passing of time, including the name of a female native american that John Wayne used to use. Squ*w.
    Eskimo is not nice, nor is the name of a man from Nigeria, an egg laden fish and a pregnant camel.
    To be honest, I never voted, because the original thread hasn't offended me, but Im not sure if its been edited.
  11. RM_clermont

RM_clermont Guest

I guess that the intention of the post wasn't to hurt anyone or offend perhaps it was a little morbojoke but a joke at the end I saw it in that way, ... but if in any case someone sends you a PM saying "I'm really sad because of your words" then consider the posibility to edit... but until then let the post be!
  12. RM_clermont

RM_clermont Guest

I guess that the intention of the post wasn't to hurt anyone or offend perhaps it was a little morbojoke but a joke at the end I saw it in that way, ... but if in any case someone sends you a PM saying "I'm really sad because of your words" then consider the posibility to edit... but until then let the post be!
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Didnt think you were trying to create problems :)
    Chris
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Didnt think you were trying to create problems :)
    Chris
  15. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Pronunciation: 'bich
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English bicche, from Old English bicce
    1 : the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals
    2 a : a lewd or immoral woman b : a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman -- sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse
    3 : something that is extremely difficult, objectionable, or unpleasant
    4 : COMPLAINT
    - obviously we are dealing with the first, not the second, third or fourth.

The unfortunate truth is that we live in a society where my daughters have heard this term and far worse in their daily lives. There is no courtesy any more. More and more people let others (and the TV) raise their kids and don't take the time to instill values and social etiquette into their lives.

As far as the particular post is concerned, this is a point of PC stupidity to actually even be discussing this. The original post did not contain %$##@&^%$#*(*&^%$&%^<>##$ it contained a description of a female dog.

Let's quit being a bunch of oversensitive idiots and use our God-given gift of reason. Or more of this tripe will happen...example:

Nig·gard·ly
    adjective (comparative nig·gard·li·er, superlative nig·gard·li·est)
    Definition:
    1. not generous: very reluctant to give or spend anything
    2. small or inadequate: very small or inadequate in quantity
    adverb
    Definition:
    in stingy way: in a miserly or stingy way
    nig·gard·li·ness noun

Several years ago, a city councilman used this term in describing the way the council was dealing with funding. There was an outcry from a certain sector of the community and the demand that the coucilman resign because of its similarity to a racial slur. I think we are all more intelligent than this (though one may question the intelligence of a group of adult individuals who spend their time making things out of paper and glue).

I would have thought that a very simple way for the offended to handle it was to explain to the child the correct meaning of the word rather than take a major offense over it (In the grand scheme of eternity, is this reeeeeally that important?).

Well, off my box and back to modelling...

ARMORMAN
    "Light travels faster than sound, that's why people appear bright before they speak."
  16. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Pronunciation: 'bich
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English bicche, from Old English bicce
    1 : the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals
    2 a : a lewd or immoral woman b : a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman -- sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse
    3 : something that is extremely difficult, objectionable, or unpleasant
    4 : COMPLAINT
    - obviously we are dealing with the first, not the second, third or fourth.

The unfortunate truth is that we live in a society where my daughters have heard this term and far worse in their daily lives. There is no courtesy any more. More and more people let others (and the TV) raise their kids and don't take the time to instill values and social etiquette into their lives.

As far as the particular post is concerned, this is a point of PC stupidity to actually even be discussing this. The original post did not contain %$##@&^%$#*(*&^%$&%^<>##$ it contained a description of a female dog.

Let's quit being a bunch of oversensitive idiots and use our God-given gift of reason. Or more of this tripe will happen...example:

Nig·gard·ly
    adjective (comparative nig·gard·li·er, superlative nig·gard·li·est)
    Definition:
    1. not generous: very reluctant to give or spend anything
    2. small or inadequate: very small or inadequate in quantity
    adverb
    Definition:
    in stingy way: in a miserly or stingy way
    nig·gard·li·ness noun

Several years ago, a city councilman used this term in describing the way the council was dealing with funding. There was an outcry from a certain sector of the community and the demand that the coucilman resign because of its similarity to a racial slur. I think we are all more intelligent than this (though one may question the intelligence of a group of adult individuals who spend their time making things out of paper and glue).

I would have thought that a very simple way for the offended to handle it was to explain to the child the correct meaning of the word rather than take a major offense over it (In the grand scheme of eternity, is this reeeeeally that important?).

Well, off my box and back to modelling...

ARMORMAN
    "Light travels faster than sound, that's why people appear bright before they speak."
  17. Clashster

Clashster Member

I told myself that I was going to stay out of this one, but I just couldn't stay away! Not really sure what happened here.... At first, I thought the issue was with the potential bad taste of the joke - I didn't see it, but I could see how someone might be offended and I could understand why it is an issue.... But what the controversy seems to be over is an asterik? Really? an asterik? Wow, are we really that sensitive?
  18. Clashster

Clashster Member

I told myself that I was going to stay out of this one, but I just couldn't stay away! Not really sure what happened here.... At first, I thought the issue was with the potential bad taste of the joke - I didn't see it, but I could see how someone might be offended and I could understand why it is an issue.... But what the controversy seems to be over is an asterik? Really? an asterik? Wow, are we really that sensitive?
  19. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

As a Newbie, I've been impressed by the general tone of this forum, which seems to me to be consistently polite and helpful. If I want help, this has become one of the first places I come, and I'm truly grateful for the generosity I've found here. Alas, in any group, there seems to be someone who would like an edge or, much less troubling, who just doesn't think how someone else might interpret a remark. This is a warm, friendly, constructive place. If you want a different atmosphere, please look elsewhere or start your own space. Let the rest of us continue to try to build a place where we can share what we know and get help with the things we don't know. It's a good place. Love to all.
  20. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

As a Newbie, I've been impressed by the general tone of this forum, which seems to me to be consistently polite and helpful. If I want help, this has become one of the first places I come, and I'm truly grateful for the generosity I've found here. Alas, in any group, there seems to be someone who would like an edge or, much less troubling, who just doesn't think how someone else might interpret a remark. This is a warm, friendly, constructive place. If you want a different atmosphere, please look elsewhere or start your own space. Let the rest of us continue to try to build a place where we can share what we know and get help with the things we don't know. It's a good place. Love to all.