Voltes V

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Getter1, May 14, 2008.

1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello All,

I'm developing a new robot model from the 70s Anime Voltes V. For those not fimiliar with it, it's a combiner robot made up of 5 diffrent vehicles similar to the Voltron types in the 80s.

For those who know me as a designer, I'm still using Shiryu. It's quite limited but it's so easy and fun to use :D Also I'm too lazy to learn META :p Voltes is so boxy I felt I could pull it off in this program. There are a few parts that will have to de further developed the hard way but not many.

The model is finally ready for the prototyping stage. The pics are from the development screen of the program.

G1

Attached Files:

2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here are the model developments of the individual components. My aim is to make the model transform.

G1

Attached Files:

3. Mace

Mace Member

Nice Getter!!! I'm looking forward for further developments, and how you are going to sort the transformable problem :)
  4. voltron5

voltron5 Member

Hey G1 lookin good, can't wait for this one. What scale do you plan on doing this one at? If you need any help with anything, beta building, help working out moving components, etc. just let me know I'd be glad to help.
  5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Mace,

Not too sure on the transformation yet. I may just make it avaliable in both modes, but the temptation to make it transform is irresistable :p

V5,

Well It's intresting, The parts I printed out are very close to the size of the Soul of Chogokin diecast toy. So it the porportions are similar it will build at roughly 24.2cm tall. At that size the scale is roughly 1/241 scale as Voltes is 58m tall. The beauty of paper models over plastic or resin is you can literally make them any scale you want but adjusting the 5 of the printing :D

And of course I will accept your help when I get to the beta testing :D

G1
  6. eric_son

eric_son Member

:eek: Wow!!!!

I used to have the original diecast toy that could volt in. Unfortunately, being the careless child that I was, I didn't take good care of it. Now I found out that such toys are regarded as collectors items that cost a fortune.

Anyway, great choice!

Now the title song is starting to play back in my head...and it's driving me mad! (Tatoe arashi ga fukou to mo... tatoe o nami areru to mo...)

Hehehe.
  7. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Eric Son,

You should try to get a copy of the Soul of Chogokin :D It's great as is the Combattler V :D The old toys are indeed collector's items but IMO they are pretty badly porportioned comparted to the new SOCs, not to mention the SOCs are far more afordable.

For those intrested in the Voltes mechanics here's the combination sequence on You-Tube,

YouTube - Voltes V

And here's the combo sequence for Combattler V (Voltes' predecessor),

YouTube - combattler V combine scene

G1
  8. eric_son

eric_son Member

Indeed! sign1... The Volt Bomber and Volt Panzer die cast toys really looked ridiculously out of proportion. But still fun to play with though.
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Eric Son,

I hope the paper one pleases you. True Super Robot fans will be tough critics to please on this one :p

G1
  10. eric_son

eric_son Member

Nah... I was ecstatic when I got my Voltes V toy, despite it being out of proportion. :) I must have played that thing to death.

By the way, I've already cleared up a space on my office desk -- that space is reserved for mankind's only hope against the Bozanians! :thumb:
  11. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Eric Son,

Already cleared space :D I better do a good job :p

I rember playing with my G1 Megatron to death. The last time I transformed it it fell apart in my hands :(

G1
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Just a quik update. I'm currently building a white out beta version of the combined robot.

Hope to get a few pics up this evening :D

I pretty much decided to release 2 versions of the model,

1st the robot and components as a basic version,

then

2nd a more advanced version that transforms.

The advanced model will take quite a bit more time to get done but hte basic on should be ready hopefully by early next month.

G1
  13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here's some pics of the assembled body. So far so good, only a few minor problems to address.

Sorry the pics look weird. I built the test bed all white to save on ink so I couldn't use the flash or else it would have the bright out effect :(

Hope I'm doing voltes justice :)

G1

Attached Files:

14. voltron5

voltron5 Member

lookin good G1, can't wait to build this one:twisted:
  15. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Yuck!!! Those pics show up horrible on the site (looked better on my PC than here) so I took it outside to shoot in daylight :p

Hope these show the details better :D

Thanks for the compliment V5. At this rate the basic model will be ready soon.

G1

Attached Files:

16. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Beautiful! The design looks great, and everything seems to fit together :D
    However, I'm guessing that pearly shaped thing in the chest is....paper? :p
  17. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Soaring,

Thanks for the kind words.

The pearly thing in the chest is actually a bead. I will include some paper part for it but I typicaly use beads for small spheres.

G1
  18. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

your build is looking great g1 ,a great model to try out, i still have this toy and it's still in mint condition,never played with it when i was a kid, and you say they are worth a fortune know?? where do i sell it?
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

20. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello all,

The legs are pretty much done now. I'm developing the parts I can't design in my program by hand and incoroperating them into the test bed model here. Don't worry, I got LOTS of pratice doing hand design while developing my Roland C.II,

http://forum.zealot.com/t154169/

So far I'm real pleased with how Voltes is turing out. This is making me want to get my other projects back on the table :p

Hope all enjoys the update pics :D

G1

Attached Files: