Vintage Schloss Wildegg

I thought I'd share a few photos of my recent build of Schloss (castle) Wildegg located in Switzerland. The one page model was published in the '40s, along with 2 other Swiss castles. I downloaded it from one of the sites that specialize in vintage models.

I began by laminating a couple of layers of cardboard with the grain opposed to form a stable, warp resistant base. Then I glued on the ground plan and started erecting the walls. I started building from the inside, and worked my way outward. Very impressive fit all around. This is a well designed model, but unfortunately, the file is low-res which detracts from what is otherwise a fine kit. After the walls were up, I started gluing on the roof sections, making it a point to work from lowest to highest, so there'd always be an opening for fingers or tools when needed. The wall which wraps around half the building is confusing. You wind up with 2 unfinished tabs at the top, but nothing to crown it with. I recolored a section of the ground plan and used it to cap the wall - gave it a really nice finished look. To complete the model, I painted the cardboard base green with black edges. I prefer this one to the Schloss Thun that I built previously. There is one more castle in the series - Schloss Nidau.

The roof is really not pink and orange. My camera spazzed out from the tight shingle pattern. I neglected to put in a size reference in the photos, but it's a small model. The base is only 3"x4", and highest tower is 3 1/8" tall. Enjoy!

Wildegg1.jpg

Wildegg2.jpg

Wildegg3.jpg

Wildegg4.jpg