Vintage Paper Aircraft Models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by EricGoedkoop, Sep 28, 2005.

1. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thought you guys might be interested in these - paper models of Pioneer-Era aircraft built by the famous aviation artist Charles Hubbell. Some of them were built as early as 1913!!!

Having changed hands a few times over the years, they are now in the collection of Joe Gertler. Joe tells me they all span around 4" - 6", which should make them roughly 1/72 scale. The paper they're made from is about as thick as regular typing paper, and they are shellaced or lacquered (no doubt the reason why they survived). A few are painted, and a few have carved wooden fuselages. Joe says that they are in great shape overall, and he has had them on display at least five different times since acquiring them.

Here's hoping our models last half as long.

Enjoy!
  2. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thought you guys might be interested in these - paper models of Pioneer-Era aircraft built by the famous aviation artist Charles Hubbell. Some of them were built as early as 1913!!!

Having changed hands a few times over the years, they are now in the collection of Joe Gertler. Joe tells me they all span around 4" - 6", which should make them roughly 1/72 scale. The paper they're made from is about as thick as regular typing paper, and they are shellaced or lacquered (no doubt the reason why they survived). A few are painted, and a few have carved wooden fuselages. Joe says that they are in great shape overall, and he has had them on display at least five different times since acquiring them.

Here's hoping our models last half as long.

Enjoy!
  3. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Those are great! They're not just models of very early antique aircraft, they're very early antique models of antique aircraft. The accompanying biography of Charles Hubbel is interesting, too.
  4. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Stupendous!

Absolutely fantastic! As a paper modeler and antique collector they make me emotional.
    Beautiful examples of a boys fascination, Americana, scratch model-making and aviation history.
    I've bookmarked that site for revisiting - many times!
    The aviation art is wonderful, too!