Video Series - "how to" build an epoxy fibreglass warbird mould

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by Slow & Low, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Hello Everyone,

I've recently posted a video "how to" type series on my youtube channel here
    YouTube - b1heqh54's Channel

please feel free to have a look and leave a comment or question

the mould is of a 1/7th scale P-40E warhawk - my fav!
  2. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Photo

Here's a pic of the right side of the fuselage mould.

Attached Files:

3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'll definately check it out. I dable in glass work myself. Thanks.:thumb:
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

BRILLIANT! Thank you!

I just watched the first couple of videos and I think what you're doing is fantastic! I had intended on doing the same thing for Starships, for the Sci-Fi crowd, but have run into software issues in a product I purchased to make videos like this.

I took a different approach when building my first scratch built starship. Check out these links.

http://forum.zealot.com/t144945/

http://forum.zealot.com/t154396/

Though I never did get my product to market, I fully intend on continuing what I started and doing even more.

Your videos are very well done, but I have to say that the robot voice is a bit disconcerting, however I do enjoy watching the process unfold and enjoy the musical choices you made. :)

Though we are dealing with two different hobbies, the methods are applicable!

Thanks again for posting this. I'm very glad I ran across this.:thumb:

I'll be posting links to your videos in my thread.:mrgreen:
  5. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Thanks for posting - Good to know there's somebody out there

Your quote is very fitting in this environment, and I'm glad to see that you take some of those haters out there for what they are! I checked out your threads - nice work, keep it up - I've heard about the voice from others as well, but it's a road started down - some seem to almost enjoy it - personally it was just a quick solution for me - I'll see whether I can download alternate voices, maybe that would help - thanks for the constructive input though
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well, you've done a very nice thing taking your time to make this process understandable and to show that it's not rocket science, something I tried to do as well.

If you need a voice over, let me know. I did voice work for a couple of video game mods.:thumb:
  7. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Just a quick video update today.

Well, I can see the number of views increasing still, so I'll just keep on posting! lol
    I promised drama - if you like to see someone else frustrated with themselves, then this video is for you. The build is moving along, despite my best efforts to hold myself back [​IMG]
    This is the fifth episode in the series that I'm putting together at the request of a few others who thought that they would like to see a little more detail in the mould construction, and you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/user/b1heqh54
    Feel free as always to leave a comment or question - or tell me I'm crazy if you like - you won't be the first, and probably not the last - cheers everyone - enjoy
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Brilliant! Just remember that I have posted a link to this thread and the videos, so there are a lot of people who do not want it known that it's an easy task to do these things, in fact, they will go out of their way and put their Family a carreer at risk to stop you, or at the very least start rumors and lies to make you out to be a bad person, while they cash in on the Garage Kit industry.! Don't forget.:thumb:
  9. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Vid Update

Since the last video, I've completed a couple of more sections to the mould and am moving along. I've had more than a few questions about why I chose to make the mould in so many sections. So I decided that since I'd recently completed four sections that make up the rear of the mould, I would take a few minutes to put together a quick video. I hope this helps to answer the questions, but it wasn't easy to do with the limited studio budget - lol
    You can see the latest video here http://ca.youtube.com/b1heqh54
    I can see that finished squadron of fuselages already! :)
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Cool beans, headed over there now. thanks again for taking the time to makes these videos. I'v soooooo got to get a better video set-up!:thumb:
  11. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Paris Hilton Stops By to Lend a Hand

OK - so I wasn't happy with the last video that I threw together
    Too much, too little, and I just wasn't happy.
    Anyway, Paris Hilton owed me a favour - so check out the latest vid here
    www.youtube.com/b1heqh54

I'm also putting together a little vid on the cheap vacuum system, I just put together for this project - here's a pic, let me know what you think
    PS. - I purged those tanks very carefully first with air, then with water - I am not promoting this sort of thing - take them to your Fire Department and ask for their help

Attached Files:

12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Brilliant videos and I'm really looking forward to your Vac Build! Whoot. I've got something I'm working on as well!:thumb:
  13. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Hello again. I know it's been awhile, but for anyone still following along, I'm continuing to make headway on the mould build. In fact, it's almost complete. You can see the latest vid as usual on my youtube channel at this link here YouTube - b1heqh54's Channel
  14. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Pic Update Complete Fuselage Mould

...just a quick pic update today
    There will be another video shortly, but I wanted to keep the thread updated.
    I've now completed all of the mould sections, and will now move on to some access holes to allow for construction.

Attached Files:

15. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

P40 Fuselage Mould Complete

Well video number 8 is now available on my youtube channel and can be seen on this page here YouTube - b1heqh54's Channel
    This episode is all about sacrifice and glory! lol
  16. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Tool Validation Layup

...just some quick pics today
    All looks good so far - I've just finished joining the two main fuselage sections here and I'm about to join and attach the tail sections.
    This part will validate the tool function and provide a sample part for sectioning. The sections will provide templates for formers, radio tray etc..
    I removed the bottom mould sections freely by hand to provide access for the joining operation. I used 3 coats of 100% carnauba wax as a parting medium. Detail transfer looks good, and as you can see there was very little flash. To colour the epoxy I used very cheap metallic flake acrylic paint. I expect to have a complete fuselage shell by mid week. I had a few minutes to post some pics and thought I would take the opportunity. Stay tuned - more to come.

Attached Files:

17. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

1st P-40E Composite Fuse Pics

I just finished pulling the first fuselage for the P-40 project. There will be another video very shortly to answer some more questions for you "how-to" types.
    As you can see, there is still some flash to trim up, but the functionality of the tool has been validated. I also tried a few different experiments with seam joining and layup technique, so if you look closely you will see some variations. All in all, it will serve the pupose and I can fly my plane without fear of pushing the envelope. The weight is 1.6lbs or 0.73kg. It's probably a little on the heavy side, because I wasn't too concerned at this point.

Attached Files:

18. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Success

The final video in the fuselage mould how-to video series (#9) can now be found on my youtube channel on this page here www.youtube.com/b1heqh54
    Good luck with your own projects! It's been a blast.
  19. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Glassing the P-40 Wing

Well, with the cold weather back in town, I've been spending some time with my P40 again. With the fuselage mould complete, I now have to finish a wing so that I can get on with the moulding.
    After months of sanding filler and primer in my spare time, I've come to the point in the road where I'm satisfied that the form of the wing is good enough to lay down some glass cloth. This is always the hardest part for me - moving on. I always want things as close to perfection as I can get them before I lock it in with glass, but at some point you have to just stop and lay the dang cloth down! (Tip symmetry drives me nuts!)

If you're new to this operation, here are some things to note. Most of all, don't be discouraged from trying it! Personally, I think it's a lot easier than film - and there's more sanding fun to be had! lol

- I mixed equal parts of resin, hardener, and methyl hydrate (denatured alcohol in USA) in order to get a nice thin watery consistency. Don't fill the weave, just wet the cloth out and let it dry.

- Don't trim too closely (the weave will move around as you brush and what looks like it may fit, may not by the time that you get there. If you run a sanding block aroung the edge once it's dry, the excess cloth will pretty much fall off leaving a nice edge.

- Start in the middle and work outwards.

- Don't try to do too much area at one time, and don't worry about overlapping sections. You won't be able to see these seams after a finish coat of epoxy later.

Attached Files:

20. Slow & Low

Slow & Low New Member

Wing is glassed.

Attached Files: