Video of the gorge(my layout)

Collyn

I have been fiddeling around and finnally got some short video clips of my layout on my website. It only works with internet explorer which is a bummer since I love mozilla. here is the link http://www.rankinwoodturning.com/video.htm:cool: the videos were just experiments so they are not high quality. still need to figure out how to get the camera not to auto ajust the color

fsm1000

I refuse to use IE because of all its bugs, and as it does not work with firefox I can't see them. But thanks just the same for the effort. :)

Will_annand

fsm1000 said:
I refuse to use IE because of all its bugs,

You know, I hear this all the time, but I have yet to experience it. Oh sure, maybe if you haven't tried IE since version 4 (that version sure had it's problems), or you happened to try Beta 1 of IE7...

I am now using IE7 and have had zero problems.

fsm1000

Will_annand said:
You know, I hear this all the time, but I have yet to experience it. Oh sure, maybe if you haven't tried IE since version 4 (that version sure had it's problems), or you happened to try Beta 1 of IE7...

I am now using IE7 and have had zero problems.

Then you are the only one as even microsoft admits it has bugs.
I read trade magazines and belong to many forums and also do a lot of online research [I don't just do model railroading :D LOL] and if you read the latest in mags such as infoworld and pc world you will find a lot of info on it's bugs and other problems.

So if you have no problems then great. But you are the only one in the world because like I said, even Microsoft admits it has bugs.

You might want to try anadtech, overclockerscafe, lockergnome, and Steve Gibsons websites to name a few of hundreds I could give you. They have a ton of info on computers that will definately help you get informed.
:)
Hope that helps you out in this area. :)

Will_annand

FSM, I own a computer service business. I read all the time. I have read several of the sites you mention, I also am intelligent enough to know that not everything I read on the internet can be taken as "gospel". I go by what I see and work on everyday.

BTW, Microsoft would never "admit it has bugs", Microsoft HAS ADMITTED that dishonest and decietful people could take advantage of IE's functionallity to attempt to have a user install ActiveX components that would adversely effect their computers.

So the bottom line is, do you want to be save inside your fox hole and miss allot of what is on the internet, or do you want to be able to see content and have to think before you click?

I warn all my customers not to just click and accept everything they see. Everytime I work on a computer that is having software problems, it enevitably comes down to the customer saying "Well everything was fine until I tried to install _____, it's a free download you know." or "It said I had errors and all I did was click on the button to find out what was wrong with my machine."

Simple fixes, both. I charge a flat $50.00 fee for virus removal and I educate the user while I am working.

pgandw

Will
IE7 - and I'm talking the production version - still has problems for many of us. I'm glad to hear you are trouble-free. I have run across several Internet sites that don't work properly with IE7 - trains.com is one of them. My company's portal and remote accounting functions (I'm a remote employee) are another. Both my company and the entire .mil domain forbid installing IE7 for the present - until they sort out the security issues, and fix broken web sites. So I use Firefox when I can (2.0 is a big improvement over 1.5) and IE6 when I have no other choice. And I've had to block the automatic installation of IE7 on my home network.

With the imminent release of computers with Vista and IE7 pre-installed, there's going to be a lot of busy programmers these holidays trying to fix what Microsoft "broke" again. I'm not laying the broken sites totally at Microsoft's door. But it was Microsoft's lack of adherence to standards and market dominance that allowed web site programmers to get sloppy and program to IE6 specifically.

my experiences, yours may vary

fsm1000

Thanks Fred :)

Anyhow, the long and short of it is this,

THANKS COLLYN for posting your videos.
Much appreciate the effort that went into it as we are not all computer greats [like Will] and I thank you for your efforts, REGARDLESS of whether I can 1] see it] or 2] even like it.

I appreciate ALL of the efforts of the people on this forum to produce and share thier ideas and the work they do.

Thanks a lot guys for all you do. :)