VGN is now 'multi-scale!

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi y'all!!
I'm happy to tell I've finally made the last payment on a brand new 2-8-8-2 Mallet, and have happily run it a few times on the SCMRS (Sonoma County Model Railroad Society) layout...so I'm now an HO! HO! HO! model rairoader as well as a N ut
wink.gif

It's a LL Proto 2000, based on the USRA prototype..#737 VGN, which was first delivered to N&W in 1919,(and of course, modified by their shops, I'm sure) then transferred to AT&SF during WWII, then back to The Virginian to haul coal out of the Alleghenys after the WAR ended.
If any one knows of any books, magazines or web sites with photos of the 2-8-8-2s of the Virginian Railway..I'd really appreciate a heads up.
Happy Railroadin'!
biggrin.gif

VGN
cool.gif

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
Hey VGN,

Welcome to the world of "BIG" trains!
Ok, so HO isn't really big, but it is a whole bunch larger than N scale.
Now all you need is an O scale layout and your really in business.
I started with O scale then to HO. I just haven't got the eyesight for N scale, though I wish I did.
Their ain't nothin better than the first trip around a layout with a new Loco...except maybe...naaaa, not even that!

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

[This message has been edited by Shay2 (edited 04-18-2001).]

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Virginian,
About time too, HO, -- yeah.
I was into N-scale for about 12+ years I think before turning my attention to the HUGH HO. Mind you I did like the long runs I could get from my N-scale, and making structures for both scales makes no difference really.Just as a matter of interest, here are two structures I scratchbuilt, One in HO and the other in N-scale. Which is which?
photo21.jpg

photo20.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Way to go Virginian!!
I'm multiscaling it too. (HOn3 & Nscale)
The great thing about HO is the availability of quality steam. I'm sure you're aware that this another matter in N scale.

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hey Shay2!!
Don't start on the Big 'O'...There's an O scale N&W Class A, the 1218, a real beauty, sittin' behind the glass at 'Trucks and Trains'...only $1,350
rolleyes.gif
But, yea, runnin' my shiny new VGN with some coal behind her...
biggrin.gif
when I get her detailed and painted proper ( the grey smoke box up front doesn't look quite right)and weathered...
eek.gif

There are several other members of SCMRS who have recently bought or will soon take delivery of these 'baby Beasts' an N&W, a UP and at least one AT&SF (Could the same as mine be mine in a 'previous incarnation'?
wink.gif
) Once we get some weight added over the drivers, I hope we'll be able to join 'em up and give the big brass 2-10-10-2 s a run for their money!
Shamus...I know the answer..I have those photos in my files. Both are great. If I ever have MUCH MORE SPACE (don't mean to shout..I'll figure out how to italicize someday maybe) I could go for O...But...there are a lot more things I'd rather spend that much money on...not to mention the rent and the bills!!!!
For now, I've enough to do painting plastic HO buildings for the club, going to 'runs' and planning and building "The Bill Kesling Memorial Railroad", my N scale 'dream layout that got me into this in the first place!
Thanks to you guys for all your information and support!!
VGN

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Say, are you related to Holmes, my dear shay2 ??? Those were pretty keen observations!!
I haven't looked at my picture files...but I think I have to concur, my good fellow
biggrin.gif

I found one of the pics of 'my' mallet I was remembering: in "Classic Trains" mag., Fall 2000 issue. Still need more ...this is two in tandum from a 3/4 front view, low angle, train in motion comin' round a curve.Both side views, top and rear views would be great.
VGN

VGN

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 04-19-2001).]

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Rich,
Yeah, top was N-scale, sweep second hand (missing)on the N scale clock, WOW, guess I forgot that bit, says "Doc Watson"

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
As your vision deteriorates you'll be glad you did!
wink.gif

I've wanted to combine "HO" & "N" for years by having a small "N" scale train going around part of a mountian towards the rear. What prevented me was the fear of the "cancer" of buying spreading full force into a new area. I might be plugging into a streetlight base in 6 months if I did.
tongue.gif

Good Luck!

George

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey George,
You know, N scale kits are great to incorporate into an HO layout, & it doesn't require a huge investment.
N scale fuel tanks, pipes, watertowers, etc. are great for rooftop, & other detail areas on HO kits. And of course, you can always place N scale kits at the rear of the layout to provide a forced perspective.
I guess the extreme of this would be an entire N scale layout at the rear of an HO layout. Probably more trouble than it would be worth.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
charlie, that's a great idea about using "N" tanks, etc. for roof top details. I'd never thought of that before. I always wanted to do something silly with that "N" scale Nuke Plant from Bachmann.
tongue.gif

I've seen some cavernous basements where multi-scale layouts would be possible, but never seen, nor heard of it being attempted.

Putting an "N" scale diorama on the periphery would probably be the best way to replicate a harbour with a container facility. I always liked the ocean liners, but there's never been a bridge for them into this hobby. Ever hear of them being incorporated into a layout?

George.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I saw a logging layout in ON3 using HO logging in the rear and high up a mountain, in the photo, you couldn't tell it was a smaller scale.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
George,
The best kits for details are the ones with lots of pipes & doo-dads in them. I've never owned the nuke plant, but I bet you've got a real treasure chest there!
Also, if you're looking for a liquid propane tank to set outside your HO home or business, pull the trucks, underframe, & ladders off an N scale tank car, & there you go!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Model Power & Peco make loads of N-scale oil tanks & water towers which are ideal for HO roof details.

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 04-24-2001).]

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
George,
That kit IS available in N scale.
Also, take a look at other types of models, i.e. cars, planes, ships... (I once used the rear axle & differential off of a plastic car kit to make some interesting looking factory machinery.
And Shamus,
I love Model Power kits! They're kind of toy-like out of the box, but I've done some of my best kitbashes using them. Lots of good detail parts at a great price!

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Charlie,

I really like the idea for a propane tank from an "N" tanker. Does Walther's make their "HO" refinery kit in "N"scale? If they do, I imagine that would be a lifetime supply of piping, tanks and chimneys in "HO"!

Has anyone combined "S" scale accessories such as vehicles in the foreground of an "HO" layout? Seems to me like a good way to utilize "forced perspective".

George.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Charlie, a lot of the Model Power kits were originally Minitank structures. I'm sure you have noticed the pock marks and some near holes of battle scarring, especially on the movie theatre kit. Their "Urban Renewall" was a bombed out building!

Funny how with all these modellers here we never hear about anyone into building military dioramas.

George.