Very sad abandoned locomotives

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
:cry: This is a painful photo. This rehab project idea is starting to acquire some mental real estate with me. Questions, mostly, at this point. When you come across something like this, "Who owns these locomotives?" "Why weren't they just scrapped?" "How much would the owners pay me :) to get these 'eyesores' off their property?" "Who knows enough about the rehab process to be able to tell me how much rehab would actually cost?" And so forth. Sharknoses are one of my very favorites, too (I own three of them in HO). Hmmmm, I might actually end up with one of these things parked in the shop building on my property. Then I'd need a couple of freight cars and a caboose. Then I'd have to lay some track. Then ... :rolleyes:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The saddest photo in my experience is circa 1958/59 in southern Ontario at Allendale (Barrie) where steamers accumulated in "dead lines" to be towed (not even afforded the dignity of going under their own steam) to the scrapper. I think it's a crime mostly because the majority were still serviceable...!

CNR and CPR together rostered over 6,000 steam locomotives. How many remain...?

Andrew

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
Wow, this makes for an awesome "virtual" scavenger hunt idea! What sad sad pics huh? I mean seriously, clean em up enough to haul to a local park and lat the kids see em. We have a ocuple of parks around here with old trains and the kids love them!

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
hiscopilot said:
Wow, this makes for an awesome "virtual" scavenger hunt idea! What sad sad pics huh? I mean seriously, clean em up enough to haul to a local park and lat the kids see em. We have a ocuple of parks around here with old trains and the kids love them!

or make them look like Thomas the Tank engine charicters in your son's casesign1 sign1 sign1

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
well fortunately he is fascinated with real trains, he just identifies with the personalities given to the thomas characters and knows the stories so he is able to reenact them. At the live steamer event the really old steamers got his attention the best...

I just hate to see this as I am sure the cost involved would be well worth it to turn them into something useful.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
This reminds me of a place I once visited in Mexico, a town just north of San Luis Potosi. It's an engine cementery - there were literally hundreds of engines in various states of desrepair and abandonment. And not only N de M engines, there were several from US roads that were either leased or bought and never repainted. I remember two Hudson & Delaware withe their beautiful logos still pretty much visible.
I'll have to hunt up the pictures I took (the REAL kind you can actually hold in your hands...).

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Spartalee said:
There is one for sale for about 50k where I live its a small steamer.

I saw a show on tv where a guy owned a 2-10-4 real big long steamer and he had it on a railroad near his home he drives it all the time. he is crazy rich though.
Being crazy rich usually helps if you want a real train. Even the ridable models are expensive. I just keep hoping I'll get that winning lottery ticket someday. :D

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Sad indeed, here's an old Geep that was scraped near my place a couple years ago:

From this
adz.sized.jpg

to this.
aei.jpg

Finally to this......
aen.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
indeed this is sad for all of us,but about that idea of a model rotting train i did one a couple years ago as a diorama,ive got pics just trying to find a way to post em.its a 4-6-4 hudson unnamed and unnumbered but a train it self. also you wanna know the ironic thing about scrapping trains,is that they use the "new kids on the block' to pull them to there graves. yesterday i saw a CSX engine pulling three GP-7's to the scrap yard it was a sad day for all of us at the CRRA.:cry:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
anyone know how to get a pic from the gallery to here :curse:
if u want to see my old rusting train diorama in progress check the gallery for my file called old sad train any comments or ideas would also help.hope this is cool enough for yall:)