Vector workflow via Pepakura

Discussion in 'Software' started by wunwinglow, Jun 3, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Chaps,

Ever wondered if it was worth registering Pepakura? Well, if you like to work in vector formats rather than bitmaps, maybe this will convince you that $38 is a bargain!!

OK. Make your model. Wings3D is an excellent place to start, here is a cube ( primitive default item);

[​IMG]

Export it in a format Pepakura can read; .obj is fine.

[​IMG]

For the next bit to work, you have to buy a registration key. Exporting .eps files is disabled until the program is registered.

Open the .obj file in Pepakura, develop it (open it out flat) and adjust to suit.

[​IMG]

Then 'Save Development to File...' (Ctrl E) and select .eps format. You are then given the choice of including a fill (colour) inside the parts and the tabs; I left these unchecked, so as to get a clear design in CorelDRAW.

[​IMG]

You can then fire up CorelDRAW and import the eps file. Make sure you select the eps interpreted file type to get the full image. If you select eps you will get a place-holder icon in your workspace, instead of the vector line data.

[​IMG]

Click to place the imported eps data, and Bingo, in this case a group of 38 lines which you can ungroup and edit, colour, scale, duplicate, whatever you need to do, as VECTOR data!

I'm off to see what happens with multi-page documents now....

Any comments, feedback, don't hold back!

Tim P
  2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Nice Job, Tim...have u ever try to mapped a texture on wings3d yet? and can pepakura see that mapping texture?
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

I registed a copy of Pepakura and am fairly happy at its performance..., having some transfer problems from TurboCAD with Pepakura loading then issuing not a file error....,

Nobi's on track, can you map a texture?

Best regards, Gil
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Gil, i can mapped texture in metaseq and can un-fold with texture in pepakura, but in Wings3D is seem like NURBS program same with Rhino and i want to use NURBS program for doing model too :) so i want to know can Wings3d mapped texture and can it work fine on pepakura or not.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Guys,

I am still playing with the mapping thing, but to be honest if you have vector data, the colouring is far better done in CorelDRAW (or Illustrator, or similar ) after the model is generated. That was really the main reason for me checking out this routine; I just don't like bitmaps!!

I am working up a complete model with this routine, so when it is done you can see if it works acceptably or not. Watch this space.

Tim P

PS I'll do a tutorial (It might be several little tutes!) as I go.
  6. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Good job, Tim!

Guys,

You can map a texture to a wings model (using the AutoUV plugin which ships with it) but, as Tim implies, it's not its strong suite. If you're going to add a bitmap texture to your model you're better off exporting it as *.obj format and using Ultimate Unwrap (reasonably priced) or LithUnwrap (free) to apply the texture. Pepakura will import the *.obj model and its texture correctly.

Tim, do you have any experience with *.svg (scalable vector graphics) files? That's my ulitmate goal.

--jeff
  7. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Gil,

Any update for us on using TurboCAD with Pepakura? Also which version of TurboCad are you using in case that has any bearing on the subject.

Ryan
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ryan,

I am using version 10 currently and it doesn't seem to matter which version is used with Pepakura. It does well with most shapes imported into it. I haven't really had enough time to investigate in detail yet. TrueSpace also seems to work well.

I am currently working with Rhino 3D. It has a very attractive modeling interface and has a built in unwrap command which is a little less messy. I'm beginning to be seduced by the user interface..., for card modeling it is as complete a software package as I've seen for the purpose.

I've come to the conclusion that CAD allows an incredibly accurate way to draw things but in some cases gives the design user a false sense of superiority. It won't tell you where to place a seam or a clever way to form an object..., in other words it is sometimes better to just experiment with sharp blade, ruler and glue.

Best regards, Gil
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Are there enough Rhino users for a proper tutorial series, then? I've been working on a model which would make a good base for such a series. Until recently there were only a couple or so of us who used it!

Tim P
  10. rowiac

rowiac Member

Tim,

I would love to see a Rhino tutorial series tailored to card model design. I never seem to have enough time to play around with Rhino, and whenever I get back to it I find I've forgotten most of what I learned. A set of tutorials would be great to refer back to in case I forgot how to do something...well, I guess I have to learn how to do it first before I can forget it. :)

I keep going back to 2D AutoCAD to create views and developments the old fashioned way, because that's what I know I can do. It would be nice to start with a 3D model next time.

Roger
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

I was going to write about reasons not to do it..., after reflecting a little I think it would be absolutely the right thing to do. The real point is to show what is involved in the design of a card model. It could in time top Scorpio's view score....,

Best regards, Rhino Skinned Gil
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, I'll start taking screen grabs. Give me a few days for the first one, then I'll try to roll out (Har har) the next installments every few days after that.

Any points that want covering specifically, let me know.

Tim P
  13. jrts

jrts Active Member

:D
    Hi to the guru's

More are watching this thread than you think.
    Keep going I'am learning more all the time.

Thanks

Rob
  14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

And I just thought I was paranoid!!

Tim P
  15. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Hi Tim,

I'm looking forward to your series on Rhino :D I would be most interested in how you create your model from three view drawings. I think I have a very rudimentary understanding of this but I have yet to try anything out first hand :?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  16. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Believe me, if you do write a tutorial, I'll be checking it as often as possible. I can't afford Rhino just yet, but I'm certainly interested in seeing it in action.

Ryan
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK you lot, heads up. I hope to get the intro to this series sorted out over the weekend, but in the meantime if you want to follow along, I will be using Rhino version 3 ( www.rhino3d.com ) CorelDraw version 9 ( www.corel.com ), Wings3D ( www.wings3d.com ) and Pepakura ( http://www.e-cardmodel.com/pepakura-en/ ). Oh, and Paint Shop Pro. ( www.jasc.com ) You can get demo versions of most of these programs from these websites, although CorelDraw is now up to version 12. I am using version 9 because it has all the tools I need as well as being able to read and write pdf files. I have seen version 9 on eBay for silly money.

I will try to keep the operations as generic as possible so you can use other similar programs instead. The tutorial will be in one thread, and I will start another parallel one for questions and comments. If you could treat the tutorial thread as 'read-only' that will help!

For subject matter, I went to Sky Corner ( http://www.airwar.ru/indexe.html ) and downloaded some drawings of the Sukhoi Su-7. subject matter for the tutorial will be a Su-7BKL. There are loads of articles and pics of this aircraft on the net, see what you can find.

Right, see you in class bright and early Monday morning. Dismissed!

Tim P
  18. jrts

jrts Active Member

:D

As long as their is no cane involved when I get it wrong :lol:

see you in class!!

Regards

Rob
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Spoilsport......

Tim :twisted: