Various structures

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Last picture with the borrowed camera...

This is a loading dock for my team track, built from popsicle sticks and matches. Finished with dollar store paints.

The cabin and backhouse are built from cedar shingles (doll house scale) with pin-head door knobs.

Andrew

Attachments

• loading ramp plus.jpg
    loading ramp plus.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 263

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Never underestimate matches!

Here's another loading platform (N scale) I built out of matches of various sizes and one piece of scribed wood sheet. It's definitely fun to build a unique structure out of 'household junk'! :D

Ron

Attachments

• tcsteamtrack.jpg
    tcsteamtrack.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 266

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thank's Andrew and Ron, A loading ramp is the next thing I need to build for my team track. I can get the general ratio of dimensions from your pics.

Jim, you are right, there is a special feeling associated with timber built structures! They have a charm all of their own!

Andrew, do you slice the 1:12 shingles thinner? That's a source of material that hadn't ocurred to me. Good thinking sir.

Errol

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack
Thank's Andrew and Ron, A loading ramp is the next thing I need to build for my team track. I can get the general ratio of dimensions from your pics.

Andrew, do you slice the 1:12 shingles thinner? That's a source of material that hadn't ocurred to me. Good thinking sir.

Errol

Thanks for the kind words...! My loading ramp deck is 12 scale feet wide by about 45 scale feet long. I have not yet attached the ramp.

I just pick the shingles out of the bag mostly as they come. I try to get flat, thin ones for the roof, but for the walls it really doesn't matter.

If I was to do it again, I might try these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=32820&category=1,250,43217

or these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=32713&category=1,250,43217

Andrew