USS Tarawa LHA1 1/200

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
barry................ I told my wife you were designing this and that the deck would be 50 inches long. She said "That's over four feet long......... Geez!"

and I said............. Yep!

She was impressed....................... but still not as much as I am about it!

john

edit.............. barry I found a picture that shows the deck seams close up............. I'll post it when I get home tonight.............. can't resize it at work:-(

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
First layer complete

No apologies tonight it's together and it's flat and it survived a nasty bang on the aft end due to my not being careful. John measured her tonight and it is almost exactly 50 inches lbp.:-D

Like you said John it's a dark place

Thanks for the encouragement and all the pics really appreciated fells

Is that a Sea Stallion John got to have one of them, you can show your wife the size of it with these pics.

Actually it is not finished now because the pic at the back showed up the blunder on fitting the last plate so I went and ripped it off before the glue could properly set. Good job I was not using superglue.

I will have to make some cheek pieces to hold the square stern in line but that is no great task so hopefully tomorrow it will be back together.

regards

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Guys............ Barry has graciously let me play around with his deck sheets of this "bad boy", and I'm here to tell ya it's almost 50 inches from stem to stern! 5 Sheets for the deck! Believe me I ain't a joshing!

I've been playing with it tonight and I hope to make it look like the top view picture I posted of the USS Saipan (LHA 2). Of course I will number the deck #1 for what she is...................and what this model will be No.1!

Barry has agreed to let me do a 1/33 scale from this to post for folks who want to build a Harrier or Your Choice of Helicopter and display it on the deck of the USS Tarawa!:grin:

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hey John

You are the one being gracious I just got impressed with your diorama decks and I wanted one and as I wrote to John last night after seeing his first effort now I've got to produce a weathered hull to go with it damn it. I'll get my own back by suggesting a diorama that includes a lump of deck and the side lift top and enough of a hull to show the lift in 3d. Have fun mate

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
When I was in DC an Engineer in the office told me stories about Canadians in the US and how many of us are down there. He told me about the Canadian 'town' in the shipyard where those Marine Carriers are built and how many Canucks are living there.

Rob Lepine a friend of mine who works as a profession model builder at the Shearwater Aviation Museum had a 'special contract' to build a model.

Scroll to the bottom of this page below...

http://www.nostromobuilders.com/site/professional_stuff.htm

ps. Attention Rick Thomson =X

Interesting the lines of relation here. :grin:

pps. In case of a public release... any chance of a HMCS Bonneventure II verstion. ;) <= Winkage

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Score barry!

I'll do it if you help me with the hull! Hey wait a minute........... that's what you are doing now!

Hmmmmmmmmm......... how big would 1/33 Tarawa be.............. 50" @ 1/200 so that would make a 1/33 be.................. I'll be mean and let y'all do the math.

All I can say is "Oh My God!!!!"

25' 1/4"

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
More of the same

Just another layer added to the cake this takes us to the first side cantilever deck the second is supported up and out to the side on wires lord knows how many of them. Worry about that later but at least this way there is a firm support to attach them to. Got to add a little bit for the interior of the hanger deck (just the bit where the side lift is). I've also got to test the effect of autospray paint on the cardboard as I have realised the framework will show through as white with all the cutouts down the hull sides. The hull side will probably have to be made from 1mm card as well.

@John

Maybe we should do the stern lift sometime it's fairly generic.

@Steve

Is it just the Canadian flag on the superstructure top that's different ?

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!

Just keeps getting bigger and better, mate!

I look forward to seeing what you and John put together on the lift details.

Just curious...where do you put her when you're not working on her?:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Hey Guys................ just to set things straight............ this is a Barry designed model, all I'm doing is adding a little ink to it, and that is IF Barry likes the colors.

He shared his plans with me, and I'm here to tell you, with what he had to start with and how well it looks now............. really shows just how much of a designer Barry is!

It's a privilege to be able to contribute my small ability to the overall model.

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
where I dock

This is where Tarawa docks at night propped on my old A3 printer if anyone has a driver for the very early batch 1100C it would be nice the current driver for Hp just does not work ho hum.
To stop the white grinning thru on the holes in the hull I took my courage in both hands and sprayed her with cellulose primer it does not seem to have affected anything I was watching the rain coming with one eye so ther are several more coats after the pics it's probably overkill anyway. My wife really does draw the line at spray paint in the house.

John

That's a large drop of ink mate 50 x 6.5 inches of it and what you have done so far is great Decks by John is a worthy title.

again Clashster, Jim and origami thanks for the kind words

Kevin G

Nov 27, 2003
Muskegon, Michigan
What do you mean the wife draws the line at spray paint in the house? Who is running that house anyways?
Oh wait, probably the same person that runs this house. :-D
If my wife reads this I'll be spending a night or two in the dog house for sure!

Excelent work Barry.
It still amazes me that you have the time to design and build. I barely have any time to build much less learn to design anything. Keep it up and keep those pics coming when you can, always looking forward to the next update!