USS Tarawa LHA1 1/200

barry

hull

Bob it's a journey that I have no real idea if we will get there.

Jim it's 1 mm card the theory is that there are 14 formers in the first 2 feet of the hull there will be a keel plate, flight deck plate and a hull top plate so the distances involved are similar to Spruance in reality. The straight run of the hull will have less formers but the under water hull will double the number. You should be able to stand on the thing in the end and I forgot there will also be two extra spine plates about 1/2" in from the hull sides. If not then we will have to do some doubling up of formers.

regards

barry

Hull cont

Progress is a bit slow I have trouble concentrating on marking out the slots in the formers my eyes cross progressed up to the start of the docking bay thats the bit with the black lines got to invent a couple of formers round that area still. Not much point putting a 5cm cube next to it really. Next up is the keel plate

P1010745.jpg

P1010746.jpg

P1010747.jpg

barry

1mm card

I don't know but it is the gaps between the frames that make the difference and there is a lot more to go unto the frame yet. As to the source it's Japanese and was given to me by someone who wanted Tarawa.

Jim Krauzlis

Great job on the formers, mate!

I can see the extreme flare of the bow suggested by the formers, this will be an interesting area to skin.
Keep at it mate, this is an impressive design!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

off we go then

One last check laid on the floor then on to the waterline plates. maybe not as accurate as I had hoped but I think it is in tolerance by that I mean I think I have enough cheats built in to account for the errors although being with 1mm in this length makes me think it will be something of a suprise if it fits. All the tops of the formers now need trimming for the hanger deck plate to fit down and hopefully top and bottom plating will hold it square. Think I will build it in 3 sections and join them up later.

P1010751.jpg

P1010753.jpg

P1010754.jpg

barry

Hanger deck plate

Hopefully this split level construction will make the hull strong enough there is another deck plate which is the hull top and the first cantillever gallery deck. On top of that is a box construction which I assume is part of the hanger space then the flight deck.

Thanks to my friend John Bradley I have a good supply of A3 card because the next deck is too wide for A4 paper so the side gallery will have to be carefully pasted up to the hull edge.

Think I have probably bitten off more than I can chew again but that's what it's about

P1010755.jpg

P1010756.jpg

P1010757.jpg

PIC_00106.jpg

barry

is it strong enough

Sorry it's a bit boring but these bits are actually glued together at last and the resulting structure is pretty strong. I think I will have to get a bottle of runny superglue and treat the edges especially the pointy bits at the hanger deck level. Perhaps it would be better to use 2mm card and a single sweep former but I would still be cutting the frames next year. It would have gone a lot more easily together if I had not been quite so cavalier about cutting and checking at the deck level caused myself a lot of work. In the end the formers line up with the marks top and bottom and after I upload this I shall take a backup copy I do not want to have to do it all again.

@john

Come in when your passing paper or not kettle is always on mate.

Barry,

There is nothing boring about this build. It's quite impressive in every respect. Without a doubt it's one of your more interesting, challenging and monumental undertakings.

Keep the updates rolling. I know I've said this in the past, but this is certainly a very marketable model. There is lots of interest in this subject.

barry

well they did it with Liberty ships

Slightly unconventional method of hull building hope that bow really is strong, usual method otherwise. Keel plate stuck down with selotape. I was going to do some very fancy cutting to put some supports in for the hanger deck but I decided to cut individual pieces to fit between the frames for gluing purposes. I made a cods of being complicated with the Boeing frame so this one is crude and simple. Should be dry enough in another few minutes to transfer to the big table for a night under the books without sticking to it.

Next step is to build the aft end seperately and then hopefully get two of my building boards together on the floor to join them together.

Thanks John and Elb

Amazyah

You are on a fantastic journey with this one Barry! She's going to be huge!!!
I can tell just by looking though, that she is going to fit smartly!
This is one for the local museum, I can see it already!

You are keeping an eye on this one for the reserves aren't you, Chris?

Russell

Jim Krauzlis

Wot ho, bazzer!:)

I just realized how HUGE this is going to be...both in size and in importance as a ship model design. Bazzer, you have really taken your model design to a whole new plane, perhaps two levels or more up from your prior gems.
Judging from your photos I don't think the 1mm formers are a problem at all; seems you have more than enough in the structure (another great design) and the decks seem to provide the necessary rigidity for this huge hull.

Keep at it, mate...this is a superb build thread!

Cheers!
Jim

airbob

Barry,
This project is absolutely AWSOME!!!....you're not getting old if you can do this!!! Three smiling nodding happy guys for this!
:yep: :yep: :yep:

barry

Nearly there

Thank the Lord for cardmodelling thinking how to fit this together has driven other things from my mind.

This is the scientific bit so concentrate 3 pieces of blue tack to hold it in place then glue the spine part which will be moved away for building.

Aft section almost complete I will need to add diagonal braces to stiffen the stern and hold up the stern dock section as well as the former with the big hole cut out in it.

General view just pushed together but it is a glove fit.

HATS OFF to PEPAKURA, METSEQUOIA and HEWLITT PACKARD I did not use the built in cheats and that is the spine meeting the stern got to admit I am pleased with that it's a lot of inches down that hull. Final gluing hopefully tomorrow.

If I get nothing else right I am happy to have got this far.

Thank you for the encouragement

barry

Aft girders and wet dock

Now that's a desk ornament !

It was the only flat surface long enough to marry the bow and stern it seems to have worked had to add some "girders" to keep the stern flat and I pushed the cutouts for the wet dock into the aft 2 formers hopefully this will stop me bending them.

BM

I need a new shelf in the back room the kids have all grown up so we have space and I think my wife takes the attitude it keeps me out of her hair and she can always have a bonfire every now and again:grin: Although I am thinking in terms of MTB's MGB's or 1/1200 for a while.

Darwin

That's true I wonder why I think it might be I bought one of his very early OS licences for £18K and was not that impressed guess I think I have paid him enough without giving him compliments