USS Spruance 1/200th

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
LAMPS heli

Should look OK at 1/200th

Still do not ubderstand metas UV mapping !!!! Things do bot go in so well as you get older

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!

I don't even know what meta UVs are, but I do know a great looking 3D depiction when I see one, and those two pics are great, mate. Great job!

She's coming along brilliantly, bazzer...looking forward to more!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Chopper

Hi All

Thanks for the kind words Jim.

It would seem that a few people have trouble with mapping so this is my current solution. Select a couple of items that will allow you to fix the rest of the drawing use the knife tool to outline the item then colour the bits in on this one it's the glass the position of the "NAVY" lettering and the grill in the fuselage. By the way slice right through with the knife otherwise pepakura gets a bit upset on the unfolding.

regards

thewoodengraver

Nov 4, 2005
www.thewoodengraver.com
I am pleased. Confused but pleased. You all might as well be speaking Martian 'cause I don't understand that either.

I have all the software I need to do some incredible designing...but...shoot it took me years to learn PSP 5. Did you guys go to College to learn this? or do you think I could learn from tutorials alone? Mostly auto cad.
My brain freaks out just OPENING the software.

I'm very Impressed with your work barry!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
graphics

Hi Phil

My stuff is pretty basic and no I did not go to college I'm too thick for that but I got a lot of help off this site. I know a little of metasequoia enough to block in a simple card model.

Yes you can learn it out of the book and the one I would recommend is my bible

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/papermodels/meta/index.html

which I think was written by a member on this site. Spruance is almost all made from primatives (squares cylinders etc) which can then be pushed and prodded into shape.

Have a go it's fun.

best regards

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Spruance size

Hey Jim you didn't say this thing is the size of a battledhip makes Norfolk look small serves me right for not checking. Some of those deckhouses are going to require a fair internal structure !! To give an idea the dotted lines on the page = 1 A4 sheet.

regards

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wot ho, mate!

Well, not exactly a battleship, but they were 563 feet (171.6 m) in length, compared to the type 23 Frigates (436 feet or 133 m in length).

Fear not, mate, we all have no doubt you will continue working magic on this design! I note you are building her at 1/200 scale...that's quite a large model, at almost 2 feet, 10 inches...just be glad it's not a Yamato or New Jersey battleship.:grin:

BTW, I am loving your updates on the Norfolk, quite outstanding work on the radar antennae, my friend. I find it hard to work on one project, and that being a kit already designed and printed (hopefully one that fits)...yet, here you are, designing two ships from the keel up and building them along the way, much to our pleasure. Keep at it, mate, we are enjoying the builds!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Spruance keel ceremony

No matter how much I play on the computer I always end up with paper patterns all over the floor There is something wrong at the stern with the former positions but I am too tired to work it out at the moment. Hopefully tomorrow it will be glaring obvious.

@jim

There you go then mate finally something is happening don't hold your breath I am trying to finish the rails for Norfolk still and Starlings last 2 boats and range finder and 2 or 3 other projects.

very boring pictures I chickened out of writing how to use Pepakura the answer being I keep messing about in Metso until the parts unfold as I expect.

I tried to send off the money to buy metaseq today but my paypal had got screwed up and in answering Paypals phone check my fingers got so screwed up they dumped me and said do it by post so I shall have to wait another 10 days. The joys of getting old

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Official Keel laying ceremony

Hi All

Here you go then Keith formers on 110 gsm card cut out and glued to a Kellogs Special K packet and lined up roughly to check seems fairly reasonable so far the spine will be cut in two hull sides and keel with an allowance for the card thickness.

Tried an experiment when I went into my local newsagent he was selling Pritt Sticks which is a sort of soldified UHU type glue in a tube where you screw up the bottom like a lipstick. I was well pleased with the result you can spread it to the edges with accuracy and it sticks almost immediately giving just enough time to move the part a bit. It's a lot less messy than anything else I have used. There is also no curling or bowing of the card.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Spruance back in the dockyard

Oh well that was a right mess nothing fitted serves me right for not checking properly after going back one rev. It's only cornflakes packets after all.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fits better this time

Hi All

redrew the whole of the hull at least it fits better this time but this one is jinxed I managed to drop the joins in the deck exactly on top of the formers. Luckily Jim had already pointed out that the ring round the forward laucher is red so a few tweaks on where the cuts are should fix it at no great loss. It is the right length so I am reasonably happy just bruised in the ego department.

A few of the formers are obviously too tight a fit and need easing so as not to put strains on the spine at the moment everything is just balanced on top of each other. One thing to remember is that the joins that matter are those on the outside edge of the keel plate if the spine has to waver a bit so be it, no one is going to see it again.

It does look a bit like a Spruance comparing the size of this beast with Norfolk it is photographed on the same bookcase.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
underwater hull sections

Not a lot to say really except progress is slow this is yet another endless dry fit of the underwater section of the hull the formers seem to fit the keel plate OK, so far so good. I'm trying out a new (for me) method of trying to produce the sonar bulge as just another section of the hull not a stick on goodie, hopefully I have not bitten off more than I can chew. I have added a black band at the top of the underplating now I am thinking it will be more difficult to paint later ho hum.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. Bear you got to have a brain to be afraid otherwise I would not even be contemplating the next one.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Keel continues

Hi All

Well you were right Rick it was a bugger to plank and to be honest I managed to get a big white gap in it I did think of standing on it then I thought I'm going to fill it and paint it so what the hell carry on. It looks a bit on the ribby side but any thicker paper just would not roll right without creasing.

So far so ...... you can see where the error crept in at the start I should have trimmed a bit more off the spine and given myself a chance.

You can see the white mark showing on this pic and also that I made a right mess of the aft end of the sonar. I ripped off the offending piece and finally used my head and stuffed the space with shreded tissue. I am wondering if I can make a mix of pva and tissue to fill the spaces without it all warping out of line and then shape it the same as filling the cavities with foam. I suppose I could do the same as this all the way along and just stuff the tissue in as I go along and then glue the top edges down.

To make the gluing strips I have just glued a strip of thin card to the formers and then put knife cuts in it to allow for shaping. I used UHU to glue the formers in place but I used pva to soften the card to form the sonar bulge.

This is the state it ended up in for the night I cheated at the last minute and extended the keel plates upwards a bit and I obviously did not make to good a job of that either. However that mistake will disappear when the upper sides are added. Bit of a waste of time drawing in the black line it will have to be painted on anyway. You live and make cock ups !!!

QUESTION ON PEPAKURA
Does pepakura calulate the height of the whole mesh model every time you read it in so that you can do parts of the mesh seperately so far I have got away with doing this and multiplying everything with a constant scaling factor.