USS SEAWOLF SSN 21 at 1:700 scale

Jim Krauzlis

This was an excellent model designed by our own "seawolf" in 1:700 scale. I was honored to be sent the model file and finally got around to trying her out...and she was an absolute joy to build! I was at first a bit leary about joining up the conic sections, as I had not had much luck with them in earlier builds, but this design has extremely well fitting parts. There is still quite a bit of room for improvement in my modeling technique, (and when I do this type of construction again I will try to use a little different technique to line up the edges better ) so the ridges you see in the model are my doing, not the design itself. As I put the sections together I was happily amazed at how exact the fit was...it just went a bit astray as I used my ham-hock fingers to glue the pieces up. :eek:ops:

I did use a bit of artistic license in some parts...the original design did not have the forward dive planes and I added scopes as an added detail. Besides the choice of color scheme (I checked the on-line sources and it seemed to me these attack submarines are all off-black, without a red underbelly, but I could be wrong about that too! :roll: ) the rest of the model is the great work done by "seawolf" in designing this model.

I found it helpful to use paper strips, about eight of them in all, along the inside of the conic sections to help guide the edges together...you can image how worse off the construction would have looked if I had tried to free form them without the strips as a construction aid. :shock: Next time I think I will use more of those guides as there were still a few spots that the edges were off because of my bad eye and finger control.

The pulse-jet propulsion housing was something I had not seen before, but, as with the rest of his design, Seawolf was right on...I just hope I did his great design justice with this build.

I built this over the last three days a few hours each night...a great little project and, because of the superb design, a real treat to build! Now I can't wait for him to finish the Typhoon model! :D

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

And here's some more photos...hope you enjoy seeing this model as much as I did building it!

Thanks, "seawolf"!! :D

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Nice one Jim, that's some navy you are building and think how many you can get on one shelf maybe I should have scaled Hood down some more.

barry

jrts

First

Great little model Jim, I WANT ONE :lol:

Second

Barry no you should not!! UP ALWAYS UP NOT DOWN :lol: :lol:

Have fun

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, guys! :D

bowdenja, I would suggest you send seawolf a PM and ask if he would send you a copy of his file; I was fortunate that he sent this one to me.

Barry, don't do anything different, mate, your ships are beautiful...just get bigger shelves! :lol: If you do decide to scale down Hood, or any other ship, tell me how you do it because I like working in these smaller scales for some strange reason. I'm trying to scale down a Missouri to 1:400, not sure how it's gonna work out or when I can start it, it's one of those "some day" type of projects. It seems okay in 2D, just haven't cut paper yet to see if it fits well...time will tell. :roll:

Rob, I think seawolf aka Fiat from Pakistan would send you a copy...it's a great design, I wish I had the skill and knowledge to design like that, it's really a great talent. He says it's "rough work" but, believe me, the only thing rough about it is the way I built it. :lol:

Thanks again for the kind words. :D

Cheers!

Jim

Falcon

:shock: You must have the eyes of an eagle. A wonderful model. Wished to be able to build something smalll too but my eyes just do not see so small stuff.I've bougth a U-boat U-2536 from Kartonowy Arsenal in 1:200 scale and its still in my drawer. :eek:ops:

Regards;

Falcon :roll:

seawolf

hi all,
glad you like the model - though I have to admit this model is still on draft status, and I will soon post this model on a website.

Draft status, due to I didn't include the 'tongue' for the parts. And also I have some difficulties in painting the color of the hull.

In fact, Seawolf boat was first known with the black color for the foul deck part, dark grey for the above waterline parts and hull red for the portion below the water line.

But some of my friends from another forum (submarine related) says that the new paint scheme for submarine will be totally black (or maybe darker gray)?

anyway -again thank you for all who like the model, I'm currently try to do the Typhoon but alas still not satisfied with the fitting pattern.

oh yeah, I'm not from Pakistan, but Indonesia (Jakarta).

seawolf

It's ok Jim.

regarding scaled down model, I also like a little model, that why I design the Seawolf in 1/700, despite to cope her with the rest of my 1/700 subs (too bad it's plastic not paper).

anyway - still related to the subs paper model, anyone here has a plan (techincal drawing) of US harbor tug for free? need one to build a 1/700 paper tug to go along with the subs.

seawolf

my 1/700 Seawolf. Print it out and re-paint it.
The color scheme are following the black, grey and red.
Will lenghten the hull to make SSN-23 Jimmy Carter to painted with Black - Dark Gray overall.