USS Pennsylvania

Clashster

Dec 1, 2006
The Conch Republic
See, keep the Overlords happy (cue Stan Ridgeway's "The Overlords") and all is sunny and bright! :grin: Perhaps some skill on your part had something to do with it! :yep: Great recovery! I look forward to the next step!

Chris

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
My father always told me, "if you use the right tools, the job gets done easier and faster". Funny how we often need to be reminded of this.:grin:

Seriously, good one!

I am looking forward to seeing the hull plating go on next.

Cheers!
Jim

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
I don't have much of an update today and, sadly, no pix. I am continuing to plate the hull, working from the front to the back now. Still having some minor problems with asymmetry, but nothing that is insurmountable. I'm on the road today, but will try to get some photos unloaded from the camera tomorrow.

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
Here are some more pictures of my progress so far.

In order to do the bottom plating at the bow, some side plating had to be put on. These side pieces have the remains of the original 5” casemate guns that were removed almost as soon as the ship was launched. It must have been pretty wet up in the forecastle!

hullsides.jpg

The little half-circle casemate covers were a little confusing. I made them inside-out the first time, so once more I had to re-do something.:cry:

casemates.jpg

I have now officially given up on perfection, satisfying myself with the results shown here. I have built many airplanes and they went together very well, but this hull is MUCH more challenging than I ever imagined.The starboard side plates lean forward a little, and I keep trying to straighten out the row a little more with each added plate. The plates also don't come as far up to the keel, either, suggesting that the starboard side is a little fatter. (Hey-- whose isn't?):-D

dontfit.jpg

dontfitclose.jpg

The port side is much better!
muchbetter.jpg

I’m anxious to get to the smaller details. I think I’ll be much better at it. This is only the second ship I’ve built, the first being DN’s free V-108. As I think I said before, it took me three or four tries to get the hull reasonably acceptable

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hey, you're doing a great job. This is a tough build for your second ship. I've got a DN Arizona CD sitting on my book shelf and I'm too afraid to try it just yet.

My hats off to you. Keep up the good work.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Well, you're a braver man than I; I've so far been able to avoid doing any ship with a big red bottom to it! It is quite a task to get the hull formers just right and to have the plating fit well. Frankly, I think you are doing great!

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Building cardmodels

I sympathize with you.

Sometimes things just don't go smoothly. I find that even when I do everything correctly, there are lumps where there shouldn't be. And sometimes there are misalignments or accidental blemishes. You can start over, which may involve a great deal of work, or you can accept the flaws. Sometimes the amount of correcting needed is so much that you say, well, I think I can live with the flaws. But the flaws still nag at you although you try to forget them.

Sometimes nothing goes wrong. Why this happens I don't know.

I think some kits are fated to be flawed and others not. It has nothing to do with the kit or with the skill of the modeler. It it determined by the stars or fate although, in my case, the flaws are now occurring in every model that I make (perhaps a decline in skills that is age-related). But I have made a few models that went well in addition to the ones that didn't.

Forgive me for rambling on. I hope you have better luck as your model progresses.

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
After a long summer break of vacations, triathlons, and houseguests I am able once more to sit down in the evening and work on the Pennsylvania again. :wave: Here are a couple of shots of the old girl after I finished the hull plating, but before sanding and painting. After leaving it sit for a couple of months my craftsmanship has taken on a rather warty appearance. I hope some spackle, sandpaper, and paint can help out. There is a lot of white showing around the hull edges. I am going to paint the hull sides as well as the big red bottom to cover all that up. Once I get above the deck and into the superstructure, I want to keep the paint to a minimum.

DSCN6159.JPG
[/IMG]

DSCN6153.JPG
[/IMG]

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
Over the weekend I attempted to finish the bottom of the hull. I started by installing the propeller shaft supports and the rudder, which I was very happy with. :mrgreen: Then I used some spackle on some of the gaps. I was a little less happy about the way that turned out. :neutral: I proceeded to sand...less happy yet.:cry: Then I glopped some red paint on it with a lousy brush and essentially ruined it.wall1 The plating bubbled up in several places, there are horrible brush marks, and it just looks awful. I am trying to decide how to salvage this mess. I can't very well get to the business of converting the ship into the PA if I can't even get the hull done. I'm considering ripping the bottom off and trying again, but I'm getting pretty sick of doing everything 2 and 3 times.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
My heart goes out to you Jasco. That's the kind of screw up we all fear.

Hang in there. You might discover a simple remedy if you take a break and think it over.

I'll be crossing my fingers for ya.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Done that too many times maybe sand the thing flat don't worry about how it looks then use the dead plating as a base and put a 100 gsm layer over it. I used car spray to coat the hull frame on Tarawa it seems to work well. Try it on a piece of your own stock first though.

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
Thanks for the words of support, guys. I looked at it again this morning. The paper has dried out more and shrunk a little, so it doesn't look as bad as I thought at first. There may be something I can do that doesn't involve gasoline and matches.

jasco

Jan 4, 2005
Sycamore, IL
I looked at the mess again last night and can't decide if I should just "settle" for what I've done and learn from my mistake, or do it "right" and completely re-plate the hull. I brought home some more 2mm chipboard from work yesterday in case I go the gas and matches route and start over. I built the V108 hull 4 times before I was happy, but this involves a much larger investment of time and effort.

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
do what truely makes you happy

its not how many times we travel down the road

its how much we love to drive!!!

but as for me some times a fire is the only thing that makes me right again!!!

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Ayup - ultimately it's your model and you need to decide if it's good enough for or not ;)