USS Lafayette 1/200

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
well its probably been a good year scince ive done any kinda build thread so bear with me.
kit is 9 pages, with 1 page for stand and 1 page with stand and sail for the USS John Adams.
there are a lot of formers and not sure if its overkill or not yet. but i laminated them all to 1mm. (im using 90lbs paper, which is new for me as i usually work in the 65 lbs range.)
sub 001.jpg

the parts have standard flaps but i prefer butt joining so i made my own.
sub 002.jpg

started at the front rolled the sections.
sub 003.jpg

now you can put the sections together using no flaps and just the formers. the formers fit perfect into each section but using the inside joiners throws them off a bit.
sub 004.jpg

now you could fold the flaps to 90 degrees and glue to the placed former but i glued the sections together and dropped the formers in got a good placement and glued in place.
sub 005.jpg

and the bow section is done. id like to note that each section was a tight fit.
sub 006.jpg

i usually use markers on the edges but these colors are not typical and would stand out. when i get the hull all together i will go back with watercolor(which i can mix to match) and clean it up.

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
pretty much do repeat do down the hull
sub2 001.jpg

untill we get about mid way then we need to put in the missile tube. the tube is sandwiched between 2 formers.
sub2 002.jpg
sub2 003.jpg

then its back to moving on down the line.
sub2 004.jpg

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
thanks papaace.

hull complete
sub3 001.jpg

theres a little riser that now needs to be placed at this point over the missile tube.glue needs to be on the outside. doesnt matter what this area looks like as it will be covered later.
sub3 002.jpg

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
thanks JT:)

a note-
i recently had to set up my printer in another room so i use my laptop to print now. i use foxit on the pc but have adobe on the laptop. i had to make some corrections and reprint a page and the scale was off. adobe for some reason defaults to shrink large pages to fit. so make sure to print with no scale changes selected. so my model will actually be 3% off of 1/200. doesnt sound like a lot but it shrinks the overall model by 1/2 inch.

E

ekuth

Okay, for the watership ignorant among us... this is a submarine, yes?

Either way, it's looking nice. Segmented hulls are a PITA for me.

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
Stands for Pain In The Keester :mrgreen:

She's looking good!! Wish I could do butt joints in a consistent manner. I know, just like getting to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice practice. :cry:

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
ahh pita. i understand now.lol

i started putting on the upper hull formers. and i realized what i had in mind wasnt going to work.
sub4 001.jpg

so i whipped up some more formers...
sub4 002.jpg

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
next we need to paint the bottom edge of the box black
sub5 001.jpg

bend the sides of the missile deck, and put in the missile well.
sub5 002.jpg

put together the fore section of the missile deck. tabs are on the parts but again i made internal tabs. i use a white glue as it is strong but flexible as i will need to shape it later.
sub5 003.jpg

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
put on the fore part of the upper hull.making sure it is centered.
sub6 001.jpg

then the aft section...
sub6 002.jpg

lay the section across the top aligning launch tube.and glue. i would advise to sand the top of the support box flat.
sub6 004.jpg

then work our way around gluing the sides.
sub6 003.jpg

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
You make it look so easy! And good!

OK, I've gotta know. Who's the unpainted character supervising the work? I can't make it out clearly enough on the box to identify it.

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
lol thanks. this is not a complicated design. been tryin to get away from that.

the figure (which is propping the sub up so i can take a picture) is a special forces triple nickel in afghanistan. its put out by The Regimental S-4. its another one of my hobbies:)