USS Kelvin, NCC-0514

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, May 26, 2009.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Attn. Cmdr of San Francisco Fleet Yards

Construction begun on new survey class ship.

Naval Construction Commission: Number 0-5-1-4

Registered ship name commission: United Star Ship "Kelvin"

Delivery tugs have transferred sufficient material to begin construction of the Kelvin, and construction is underway in record time.

Yeah, I'm a true geek. But at least I enjoy it. sign1

First off, I gathered my tools:

[​IMG]

To begin, I have started with the upper hull.

[​IMG]

I cut out all the major parts, skipping over the flaps as I did:

[​IMG]

Then I glued them to a scrap of cardstock and cut new flaps from it.

[​IMG]

I repeated this until I had completed the upper hull:

[​IMG]

I'll color the edges later.

A few notes from this build:

* The second tier in the main saucer is *slightly* too large. I don't think I cut it too large; the difference was too large for that. It's no big deal though. I just aligned the grid lines and glued it place.

* The largest tier, the base one, still has the old impulse deck outline from the Enterprise Refit it was based off of. It'll be covered up, so that's also no big deal.

* The caps for the bridge and B/C deck are too small by about a couple of millimeters. If they were expanded that much they'd be a perfect fit.

Other than that, it's a *great* model so far! Kudos to Paragon for knocking this one together so well. :thumb:
  2. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I highly suggest you use cardboard for the saucer structure. Usually two layers from a standard packing box is the right thickness. Looks pretty good so far though.
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Oh believe me, the angle of that photo is rather deceptive; it's as wavy as the Mississippi river in the storm season. But I am actually going to install a framework of ribs and stringers that will make it hold the flat form better. They'll probably be made from cardstock in order to use the least amount of glue necessary for adhesion, and they'll most likely follow the grid pattern on the hull. A solid cardboard former is *really* difficult to get completely flat, even if I leave it to dry overnight. And I want to get this model completed today so I can start on Thunderchild's Gunstar.

Okay, time for the second set of parts:

[​IMG]

One thing I noticed was that the markings on the sensor bands are a bit out of alignment on the second side piece. No big deal, it wont be too noticeable on the finished piece, but I just thought I should mention it:

[​IMG]

All the parts are cut out and laid out for inspection:

[​IMG]

Flaps are added to the inside of the main piece to attach the lower decks. Btw, does this shot remind anyone besides me of the alien city destroyers in Independence Day?

[​IMG]

The lower decks and planetary sensor dome are added next:

[​IMG]

I actually managed to get the sensor pretty round:

[​IMG]

Top and bottom hulls are done. Now I just need to get to work on the two most complex parts of the ship: the warp engine and secondary hull.

[​IMG]

Notes:

*Nothing really to comment on here. The only thing I can think of is the planetary sensor itself could probably stand to be in more pieces for better detail and to enable a more curved surface.

On to the final assemblies!
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Alright, I've rounded the corner and am on the home stretch here . . .

The final page of parts:

[​IMG]

I divided it into two parts, the warp drive and the secondary hull:

[​IMG]

So here we have the page of parts for the secondary hull and interconnecting dorsal:

[​IMG]

I decided to cut'n'paste the interconnecting dorsal first:

[​IMG]

I sure hope this is right:

[​IMG]

Anyway, next I cut out the impulse drive and parts for the secondary hull:

[​IMG]

When I folded the shuttlebay doors, I decided to glue them to a scrap of cardstock before I glued them into the shuttlebay:

[​IMG]

After which I folded and glued up the secondary hull:

[​IMG]

Then I started on the warp engine nacelle:

[​IMG]

No news here, I folded and glued it up as well. And here are all the main parts. I'm going to wait till tomorrow and then start creating the framework to get the saucer straight:

[​IMG]

I think I'll glue the dorsals to the warp engine and secondary hull before I close up shop tonight. Looks like this will be one good-looking model when it's finished. :thumb:
  5. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Looking good so far! Does anyone know what class of starship the Kelvin is?!
  6. trekman1017

trekman1017 Member

yhanks for the pictures, they might come in handy for my build
  7. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

The dorsal pylon isn't quite right, the back part is supposed to follow the bends of the side parts (minus the little black protrusions, which aren't supposed to be there...need to edit it).

Also remember that the impulse engine goes on with the indent facing up, so its a "u" shape.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, I think I'll rebuild it then. As has been said before, that's the beauty of card models: if you need replacement parts, you just print off a new sheet. :D

So does that mean the dorsal pylon's back end extends past the lower edge of itself and is on the edge of the saucer? It didn't occur to me that this part may overlap the lip of the saucer.
  9. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

looks great!! keep it up.
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

No problem, Vortex. :)

I began by making a template to create the ribs which will rest beneath the panel lines, so that if they deform the surface, it will conform to the structure already present. This makes it look a lot more realistic:

[​IMG]

After I made the template I used it to create several strips of laminated cardstock, and then cut out the first four ribs for the under-structure(two of them are actually one long piece for strength) and glued them inside the hull, using the shield grid as a guide:

[​IMG]

After those dried, I cut out and placed four more ribs, again using the shield grid to guide placement:

[​IMG]

And then I cut out another eight ribs and glued them in the hull as well:

[​IMG]

When those all dried, I started inserting the cross-braces, and yes, I used the shield grid as a placement guide:

[​IMG]

Then I cut out another set of cross-braces and glued them in place:

[​IMG]

And as if all that weren't enough, I put in a third set, this time going every other sector (because frankly, I was frakking tired of making cross-braces at this point wall1), and glued them in place:

[​IMG]

While this is *very* time-consuming (I started at 9:00 and ended at 12:30), all those individual joints give the skeleton strength and flexibility, enabling me to bend and twist the hull into a totally flat shape. I then glued the hull together:

[​IMG]

Yep, she's a very flat shape:

[​IMG]

After I completed the saucer I left it to dry and attached the pylons to their respective components. I admire the design of the bussard collector, but I could not for the life of me get it to stay closed, so I just filled the hole with glue and called it good. Good thing sci-fi has a handy excuse for just such a gaffe, and that is "variant" :) :

[​IMG]

After they dried I started attaching them to the hull, beginning with the secondary hull:

[​IMG]

I then attached the warp engine to the hull, making sure it was in line with the primary hull:

[​IMG]

The last part to be installed was the impulse engine. No secret here, just careful placement to align it with the sensor bands on the saucer rim:

[​IMG]

Here is the result of all this hard work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure I made mistakes, but I had fun making this beauty. And that's the point, right? :cool:
  11. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Wow that was a lot of work on the primary hull! Worth it though and a great job overall, but please tell me coz I need to know - did you use the shield grid as an aid in placing the last lot of braces!? You didn't say! :mrgreen:
  12. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Very very nice looking model, only one other problem: the red bussard ring for the nacelle is supposed to go inside.

Attached Files:

13. Millenniumfalsehood

Ah, okay. Actually I may rebuild it, because I am really unsatisfied with the cap.

I really think this kit needs a set of instructions, or at least notes on the parts pages. But other than that, it's a great kit Paragon. :thumb:
  14. cmags

cmags Guest

Damn, it looks like I made the bussard rings wrong too! The printed size made them fit exactly as MF's, but I put the caps on the outside so only a thin strip of the red showed between the nacelle and cap. In fact, I don't think the cap would fit inside. Maybe these two parts are a bit too large? Can you show closeup shots of your built nacelles, Paragon?
  15. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

There is only ONE thing I can say MF....

MmUu$$st S$opt dDDDrr00ool!ing on k3eyboARd!!!! sign1
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Lol! Thanks Vortex! sign1

Actually the cap will fit inside, and I had every intention of building it that way when I cut them out, I just forgot and built the red ring with the ink on the outside. wall1 Paragon, it may help future builders if you perhaps added a gradient to the red glow, to show where the glow is originating from.
  17. cmags

cmags Guest

Ink on the inside... aaahh that explains it. Maybe I'll see about rebuilding these. Though I'm not sure I could disassemble the cones easily. If I rebuild them from scratch they'd be the 2nd and third part of the model I've started over. No wonder its taking me so long lol.
  18. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

with the mistakes I make I LOVE to hit the reprint button... now if we had one on... oh say LIFE, we would have it made!!! sign1
  19. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

11 cm USS Kelvin

The Kelvin really needs to be redesigned, but as long as beggars can't be choosers, here are some photos of my build. Overall length is 11cm, disk diameter is a little over 6cm.

Attached Files:

20. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

a few more

Here are a couple more views.

Attached Files: