USS Granduer Pistol 3D to Card to Prop

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MTK, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MTK

MTK Active Member

Dec of last year I was approached to create a compression pistol for the USS Granduer fan based crossover between Trek and NBSG. The contractor wanted a 1:1 Prop for his project and wanted help finishing his CG model of the Blackfoot, which was a part of this universe, at least that's how I understood it. It's kind of a convoluted thing if you ask me, the Granduer was definately Trek based, but the Blackfoot was some kind of crossover thing that was about half Trek and half NBSG. At any rate, I was contracted to create this prop from a low poly mesh and the referrences supplied. First off there were essentially three versions of the prop, sort of a MK-I, MK-II and MK-III sort of thing. After much discussion we decided upon two different versions and a couple of hero versions with lights and sounds. I was sent references and a mesh, see pics below (if I can get them to upload).

I thought we should go with the simplest version first and then use that as a base to morph out the next version.

The first thing I did was convert the file to a useable format, import it into Meta, then into Pep. Next, I decompiled the pistol parts and printed up some basic templates to see what the size was initially, in case I had to resize it, which I did..... After resizing it, I cleaned up the mesh some more and printed new templates (not shown). and began building a maquette.

Note: This project is 95% done and was only shelved due to contract dissolution. I will be finishing this, but I've got plenty to show and think this makes for a great example of what you can do with something as simple as paper.

Much more to come. This, or a version of it will be available as a card model for download.:twisted:

Attached Files:

2. MTK

MTK Active Member

See further construction below.....

Attached Files:

3. MTK

MTK Active Member

More construction on the maquette, before making corrections and working in other media.

The last photo was to be the container for the electronics and batteries that would / will be cast into the main body....

Attached Files:

4. MTK

MTK Active Member

More work on the pistol prop.....

Attached Files:

5. MTK

MTK Active Member

I used wood, CPVC and styrene to make many of the parts, but used templates from the card model created from the CG model to make measurements and gauge sizes etc... There did, however come a point where the CG model and resulting card model templates did not work for real life and had to be modified for ergonomics and practicality.

Attached Files:

6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wow, that's a lot of work. You could probably make a real gun with the same effort. (Obviously it would be a gun that used bullets). If you could find a Blue Ray DVD player that was trashed, you could incorporate the Laser Diode into your gun and have a cool blue beam coming out of it!
  7. MTK

MTK Active Member

I had all of the electronics worked out months ago, there's still more to come, but thanks.:mrgreen:

8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I should have figured as much!!