USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cdwheatley, May 21, 2009.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I would carefully bend the pylons and then plate over the edges with extra gray cardstock to cover the wrinkles. Simple solution.
  2. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that Mf :-(.

Well they say the camera never lies, but I can assure you it's nowhere as near as bad as it looks :mrgreen:.

I can see where you're coming from to a certain extent here cmags, but to blame the original subject for the model's failings is a bit rich I think! I still believe the design is off here, but even if it's not I think there should at least be some suggestions given with the model as to how to strengthen the pylons. I have the greatest respect for anyone who can design card models, I really do (I couldn't do it), but I do wonder sometimes if they ever build their own creations themselves to see exactly how easily or otherwise they go together.

Anyway, I've decided to have another look at this model to see if I can salvage things. I printed another set of parts for the lower half of the secondary hull and the upper rear, and this time reinforced them with THICK card, plus a coat of two of superglue to hold the shape. I didn't take any pics during the process as I wasn't sure of the outcome and just wanted to get it done asap, but I think you can see how it was done from these photos:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see in the last shot, the deflector array is now also in position. This is not the one from the kit, as unfortunately that was simply way too big - another design flaw :-( - but something I fabricated myself from an image I found elsewhere, cropped, then trimmed to shape and glued over the opening.

I will print out a sheet of grey paper and stick it to the exposed edges around the pylons, then trim to shape. The secondary hull will then, finally, be finished :).
  3. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

The deflector was a perfect fit when I built it. Do you mean it was too big to be accurate?
  4. cmags

cmags Guest

Hey CD, glad to see you picked this back up. It certainly looks like you found a very sturdy method of holding the pylons in place.

I had said that it may have been an issue with the design of the subject because every model I've seen so far of this ship uses the same exact design for the pylons - two manually bent pieces for the upper and lower surfaces, and shaped edge strips to hold it. Nobody includes inner structure with the model - that seems to be up to the builder, and after seeing the results of your model, my next one will use exactly the same inner structure.

Can't wait to see the finished product! :thumb:
  5. bf109

bf109 Member

second pic says it al !even the cutmarks to bend it in shape :thumb:

great to see you back on this model
  6. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

I mean it was just physically too big to fit in the opening, by quite a margin too. Did you fit the surround in yours?!
  7. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Like I said, it went in exactly as it was supposed to, no trimming, all pieces included. Twice actually, I built one version and then scaled it up to 1:1900 later and built it again.
  8. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Well that's weird, coz mine was out by at least a mm at either end and there was just no way it would fit in the opening!

Anyway I'm now nearing the end of this build so pictures should be forthcoming. I've got a couple of parts on one of the sheets, though, that I have no idea what to do with, where they go, or what they're for. This is one of them:-

[​IMG]

Any ideas?!
  9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

On the bottom of the nacelle, between the nacelle and the pylon.
  10. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Ok, thanks.
  11. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Actually my last post but one was slightly misleading. I did have an inkling that that was where they went, but I just assumed the nacelles would fix directly onto the pylons so they seemed a bit redundant. Next question - how are they oriented?!

Do you have any pics of your build(s) of this particular model? :mrgreen:
  12. cmags

cmags Guest

I believe that the nacelle/pylon joints orient with the thin part of the wedge forward.
  13. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Here, not very detailed or in depth pictures, but they might help a little. There's also been a bit of wear and tear on it over time.

Just felt like mentioning too, I make heavy use of cardboard in my Star Trek models, especially in the saucers, which I find warp very easily without something rigid to hold their shape. This one used less than most actually, with cardboard only for the saucer and nacelle pylons.

Attached Files:

14. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Thanks guys. Paragon, I appreciate the pictures :). It's reassuring to see that mine has turned out pretty much the same as yours! If only I'd known before that you'd built this as well I'd have asked for them long before now sign1. Not much more to do now and it's finished.
  15. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Well here she is, all done:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. bf109

bf109 Member

that looks great cd :thumb:
  17. cmags

cmags Guest

Wow, that did come out really nice. Very clean build. Glad you didn't abandon it!
  18. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Thanks! Me too cmags :mrgreen:. With reference to an earlier post, the primary hull is actually 9 inches at it's widest point, so what scale does that make this?!
  19. cmags

cmags Guest

Do a search for Scalemaster.exe - its a great little program for things like this.

With a 467m saucer width as specified, 9" wide makes it a 1:2043 scale. However, an even 1:2000 would produce a model that is 9.19" wide, so depending on error of build and measurement, I'd say it was originally designed to be a 1:2000 model.

:thumb:
  20. LtStatictheFox

LtStatictheFox New Member