USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cdwheatley, May 21, 2009.

1. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Ok, I haven't made or even started any Sci-Fi models for quite a while, so I've decided to give this a go - it's Gary Pilsworth's version of the Enterprise 'D'. I've only just started on it today so there's not a great deal of progress to report so far, but I've managed to put together the upper half of the primary hull - minus the bridge section.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the edge is not a smooth curve, but somehow this doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might :).

More pics to follow as and when.
  2. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

Very nice! Ill be doing his USS Budapest soon.
  3. bf109

bf109 Member

nice , keep the pics coming i might start on this as well ,but first Hot4Darmat's iwar NSO-989 Tariq Class Patcom - Indie Smiley Paint Scheme

eat me :)
  4. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

The bridge module is now in place:-

[​IMG]
  5. cmags

cmags Guest

Wow CD, that's coming out a lot nicer than I expected it would with the blocky style. Looking at the parts, if the edge is bothering you, I don't see any reason why you can't round it off, and then either cut the tabs off or cut the tabs smaller on the edge piece to make it more round. The only reason it has so few sides to it is that the edge piece has long tabs forcing hard angles. The more sides you have on a shape, the closer to round it gets.
  6. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

I've now managed to get the the lower half of the primary hull assembled:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got no instructions as such so I'm winging it a little here. It's a fairly simple model compared to some others, but the Enterprise 'D' is such a complex shape that I wasn't quite sure how I was going to be able to reproduce it with the parts I had in front of me. I thought I knew the shape well enough, but I've still had to keep referring to pictures of her from various angles just to make sure I was building it right! It took a bit of working out, but by a process of deduction and elimination I was able to figure it out eventually. I must admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by how well everything has fitted together so far - I keep waiting for things to go horribly wrong as I usually do (no slur intended on Gary there, that's just me) but at the moment it's looking good. I think the next job is to assemble the top and bottom halves together, wish me luck!
  7. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Chris, I hadn't even thought of that! Of course you are right, I could quite easily round the edges off if I wanted to. I will have to see how I feel about it when the time comes. Thanks!
  8. sidewinder81777

Does anyone have an idea what scale this model is in?
  9. cmags

cmags Guest

Going with a measured 9.5" saucer width, and a subject width of 467m, that gives about 1:1935 scale. You'd have to blow it up to 114% to get to 1:1700. But, after seeing your Ent-B build SW, I say go for Clever's which is already at 1:1700.
  10. cmags

cmags Guest

Hey CD, do me a favor - when you assemble the upper and lower hull, take a profile (side view) shot? The Ent-D I have from Ninjatoes' biggest issue was the profile of the primary hull wasn't the right shape - it had more of a bulge toward the front.
  11. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Will do :thumb:.
  12. mchale

mchale beach boy

good job cd i like it keep going
  13. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Some more progress. The upper and lower halves of the primary hull are now mated together (no baby starships just yet though lol) and the impulse engines have been added:-

[​IMG]

I had a spot of bother trying to close things up at the neck, but nothing that couldn't be remedied by a few drops of superglue! Wonderful stuff isn't it, superglue?! :)

Here's that profile shot you wanted cmags:-

[​IMG]

I've also assembled the upper and lower halves of the secondary hull (but not fitted them together yet), and the parts for the deflector array are ready to go together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

nice man very clean build !:thumb::thumb:
  15. cmags

cmags Guest

Looking good CD! You're right, the angled edge is hardly noticeable - no real need to round it off. It kind of matches the "style" of the model anyway. Thanks for the profile shot - it looks a lot better than the ninjatoes model I made (tho I'm not sure if it was the design or me - probably me).
  16. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Well, I said before that I'd been half expecting this to go horribly wrong and it has. I carefully and as cleanly as possible assembled the rear half of the secondary hull earlier today, and this is what resulted:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the warp nacelle pylons/supports are extremely flat and nowhere near the position they should be i.e. vertical or very nearly so with respect to the rest of the hull, as shown in one of my previous build photos. I can assure you that this is not a construction error or problem, but a design one. As I have neither the time nor the inclination to fix this, regrettably I will not be continuing with this build. Very, very, VERY disappointing wall1.
  17. sidewinder81777

Major bummer man.
  18. cmags

cmags Guest

Unfortunately this is a design problem not with the model, but with the subject. All of the models out there (including Clever's) use the same nacelle pylon design - a layer on top and bottom that you must pre-shape, and an edge strip that needs to be sufficiently sturdy to prevent the strip from bending back outwards under the weight of the nacelles.

I can see in your picture that the edges in the corner of the bend have wrinkled.

If you do try this again, make sure your upper/bottom pieces are pre-shaped so they sit in the proper alignment without the aid of the side strips, and print the side strips on some sturdy stock or laminate them.
  19. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I used cardboard in the pylons, bent into shape. It holds pretty well.
  20. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

Too bad.

If you want to salvage it, you could model the saucer section only, cut off the neck and build in the interior parts where it used to be. It's fairly simple, if my TNG memory serves me. Plenty of detail in the pilot episode where the 2 halves meet, and several other episodes. Also ST: Generations might have a lot of references right before the saucer crashes.

That's an idea! Do a mini diorama of it after crashing!

Regardless, too bad on the flaws, was looking pretty decent up til then!