USS Defiant help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

22point8

Hi, I'm new to model making, I've been making the redrawn Defiant model from the ninjatoes website and have all but one section of the model completed. I'm stuck on parts 20, 22, 26 and 29. 20 is the big semi circle, 22 is the bit that goes into the opened end of 20 and attaches to part 1 which is the nose, what I need help with is the order in which I glue these parts together.

On a separate note what other Star Trek models are quite easy to make? I like the look of the Enterprise E on Zosho's site but there are no instructions, and any other ships seem to have really complicated warp nacelles. I've been using 160gsm paper, pva glue, a cocktail stick and a stanley knife if that helps.

papermodeller

Ninjatoe's always numbers the parts in build order (at least the ones I built) so if Bill Perry didn't change the numbers you should first glue part 20, then 21, then 22, then 23 and so on. If he changed the numbers you should look at the original parts to see what the original numbers were and use that build order. Unless it doesn't make sense of course.

I always liked the kits from SF Paper Craft Gallery and PaperAviation.de but I don't know if you will find them easy. You will have to search the names to find the websites because I can't post links because I haven't made 15 posts yet.

22point8

Do I want 22 to stick out from 20 or do I puff out 20 to make it fit 22? I've tried this part several times now and I hate printing off 4 pageswall1

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 20

22point8

Bump.

Can anyone who has built this model please help me with the original question? I've tried every way I can think of and it always comes out a mess, to clarify, I'm talking about the semi circle section that the nose attaches to. Parts 20, 21a/b, 22, 23, 24a/b, 25, 26, 27a/b, 28a/b and 29. I have the instructions but they aren't helping. I've noticed that 21a/b are shorter than 20, and that the triangle sections where 30a/b are supposed to go don't match up.

cp1963

Don't feel bad. I am having some problems on this myself. I am relatively new to paper modeling, and I had to set this model aside and try something else. I hope to go back to this soon, and maybe we help each other with it.

22point8

Don't feel bad. I am having some problems on this myself. I am relatively new to paper modeling, and I had to set this model aside and try something else. I hope to go back to this soon, and maybe we help each other with it.

This is what I have so far, I've also been doing a baby defiant to use less paper while practicing, its actually not that difficult compared to the full size.

Attachments

• DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00152.jpg
    DSC00152.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00155.jpg
    DSC00155.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 28

cp1963

You are farther along than I am, and it's looking good, too. How did you get the smaller version printed? I am not that good with computers yet. Also, I have 4 kids, which makes it difficult to get much time to work on any kind of models.

22point8

Thanks. Well I used Adobe Reader, then Print, Multiple Pages per Sheet, 2, Print Page Border, Auto Rotate, that makes the parts 25% or maybe less.

Attachments

• Print Settings.jpg
    Print Settings.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 26

Millenniumfalsehood

If you use white glue/PVA glue to bond the parts, you can also use it as a lubricant to get the parts to slide into position easier. Just coat the flaps with glue, insert the part as far as it will go, and then use the back of the exacto blade or other flat, straight metal object to push the edges back until it's flush with the outer edge. Don't worry about crushing the former; its on the inside and won't be visible when construction is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.