Using Waybills

OLDGATORBOB

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME HERE, I HAVE RETIRED AND NEED SOMETHING TO DO. I HAVE BEEN A RAILROAD FAN FOR YEARS, SO I AM GOING TO DO A HO LAYOUT. MY ROOM IS 14 BY 12. I HAVE BUILT MY TABLE-TOP IN A "E" SHAPE. IT IS 2FT. DEEP.... 8FT. X 14FT. 8FT. WITH A 4 X 6 IN THE CENTER. I LIKE THE WAY IT TURNED OUT.

I JUST HAPPENED ON TO THIS NET, I SURE LIKE WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING. YOU ALL ARE OK IN MY BOOK. PART OF THE FUN IN DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS THE ...... HELP..... FROM OTHER PEOPLE. NICE GOING GUYS.

NOW, I AN TRYING TO GET ALL THE INFO I CAN ON WAY BILLS. MY LAYOUT WILL BE A POINT TO POINT SWITCHING LAYOUT, SO YOU CAN SEE THAT I NEED INFO ON A WAY BILL SET-UP.

PLEASE E-MAIL THE INFO TO ME AT SCOT3620@BELLSOUTH.NET. I AM NEW TO THE PC, MY DAUGHTERS GAVE IT TO ME WHEN I RETIRED. AND I WANT TO PRINT THE INFO SENT TO ME, AND I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN PRINT INFO OFF OF HERE??????

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL, OLDGATORBOB.

Tyson Rayles

Bob welcome to the gauge!!:D I grew up in the everglades and over the years kept gators for pets, used them for practical jokes, ate em', even made a belt out of em', so I'm curious is to your name. That aside please release the cap. key on your puter when typing it's easier on the eyes. I use a 4 cycle waybill system and could e-mail you a master so you can make your own if you like. Or you can get ready made ones from Old Line Graphics and other companys. You can print what you see here by going up to your toolbar to file then scrolling down to where it says print. You will find a LOT of very nice and helpful people at this forum so stick around and enjoy!!!!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Oldgatorbob,
Welcome to the gauge, here's a waybill system I wrote for my own railroad.

carcard.jpg

Car card & Waybill System

Since I like to operate rather than just run trains in circles, I set up my own car-card/waybill system using what I had gleaned from magazines, and what I thought I needed. Here’s how it works.

CARDS and WAYBILLS

The system is designed for a one man operations. The beauty of this system is in the fact that it permits a fellow railroader to take over the switching side in one area, leaving any of the other two control panels free.

The first chore was to make a card for every car and type in the top left corner the type of freight car used, i.e. BOX for boxcars, followed by owner, let’s say B.N, then the cars number followed by the cars colour. After this came the happy job of making a small pocket at the bottom right of the card for the waybills to sit in.

The waybills were made from wedding invitation blanks and are approximately 2½" by 1½". Most are white, but a few are blue. (I will come back to the blue cards a little later) The cards are then given a letter in the top right corner to represent the type of car it is, i.e. B for box car, R for reefer and so on. Underneath and centered , I typed the name of one area, and underneath this, I typed TEAM TRACK. Turning the card over, I typed EAST BOUND THROUGH FREIGHT. (could have been westbound) The card was then placed into a waybill rack, marked ‘B’ for box cars, ‘R’ for reefers etc., with the type EASTBOUND FREIGHT facing out.

The big chore now, was to make a card for every piece of rolling stock on the layout, the same way. It took hours, but was well worth it. Now all I needed to do when buying a new box car or flat car or what ever, was to make out a new card and place it into the waybill rack.

The front of the blue cards are done the same as the white, but instead of turning the card over to type where it is going, this is typed at the bottom of the card with "Please turn over on completion of switching." On turning the card over, there is another request to take this car to another industry. On completion, to be returned to the yards. No Hassle with fast clocks or the like, just run trains and have fun.

Okay, this is how it works:

All trains received from storage (either direction) must first make a few trips around the layout. Waybills are taken at random from the waybill rack. The waybills are then placed into each car/card, with either east or westbound freight (Or mixed freight) showing at the front of the card. White cards are a simple two leg journey, but the blue cards are a three leg journey. When a blue card is encountered, instead of turning the card over to read the instructions, you first follow instructions on the front side, then turn it over and continue the operations as you would for a two leg journey. (Blue cards foul things up a bit)

After a freight has made several laps around the main, it stops to switch. From one to four cars are dropped from the rear into a staging track. The remainder of the cars are then dropped off at another staging track, and the engine released for fuel. In other words all pickups are placed at the front of the train, all Set out are dropped from the rear.

The freight cars that were first Set out, (from the rear of the train) are the only cars that require car/cards. The car/cards are taken from the "Receive from storage tracks" Box.

Car/cards matching the cars numbers are selected, then the waybill is turned over (unless it is a blur card) to determine the cars local destination. These car/card and waybills are then placed into the "Set out" Box .The local switcher then decides the order in which the cars should be placed so they can be dropped off in the right order. The local then departs, makes a few laps of the main and then sets out all its cars for local delivery to the industrial sidings. The cards are then taken out of the "Set out" box and placed into the "Pickup" box.

The local then picks up all cars (If there are any) from previous set outs and returns to the yards. The switcher the sets out the cars for outbound traffic on any free staging track, then hides in a suitable hole while the freshly fuelled engine picks up the cars from the staging tracks and after picking up a caboose, makes several laps around the main before returning to the storage tracks. The car/cards are then taken out of the "Pickup" box and placed into the "Dispatch to storage tracks" box.

All waybills are removed from the car/cards, - shuffled, then placed at the rear of the used section of the waybill rack. New waybills are now allocated to the now empty car/cards taken from the front of the waybill rack. When the train is back in the storage tracks, the cards are taken out of the "Dispatch to storage" Box and placed into the "Receive from storage" box.

Another train can now come out of the storage tracks, and the same routine starts all over again.

For a one persons operations, this can keep a person busy for hours with just a couple of trains running. Plus the fact that passenger traffic will have to be able to move as well, will cause no end of hassle for the mind to cope with. (You think having a model railroad is fun)

Tyson Rayles

Shane the way I understand it waybills are used to control car movements, Flimsies are used to control train movements (back before they had CTC).Flimsies were orders for the engineer telling him if and when he could proceed to the next station or junction, they were usually written on a thin piece of paper (hence flimsie).

OLDGATORBOB

way bills

Thanks Tyson, well here it is......... i lived in titusville for about 8 years, then i moved to tucson, az. and coming from fl., everyone started calling me gatorbob. now that i am retired... it went to OLDGATORBOB!

yes, please e-mail the master to me if you would, at scot3620@bellsouth.net.

thanks so much, robert

OLDGATORBOB

wedding invitations

HI SHAMUS, HOW ARE YOU DOING, WE TALKED A FEW MONTHS AGO ABOUT THIS ( SOMEWHERE ON THE NET) I HAD A DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESS THEN, HOPE YOU ARE DOING OK WITH THE LAYOUT, I THINK IT IS NEAT.

OK, HERE WE GO, MY DAUGHTER HAS A BRIDDLE SHOP, AND I THOUGHT I HAD IT MADE ON THE INVITATIONS. SHE HAD HER HELP GO OVER ALL OF HER BOOKS, BUT THEY COULD NOT COME WITH THAT KIND OF INVITATION.

COLUD YOU GIVE ME THE ADDRESS OF THE COMPANY THAT HAS THEM? I WILL SEND AND GET LIKE A 100 AT ONE TIME. I ALSO LOOK IN THE OFFICE SUPPLY STORES, BUT CAME UP WITH A 0.

I LIKE YOU WAY OF DOING YOUR SYSTEM, AND I WANT TO USE IT.

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THE ADDRESS, GOD BLESS, ROBERT.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Robert,
Glad to hear from you, didn't know the name Oldgatorbob.
I bought mine from a shop called "Partners" it's a stationery shop, sell allsorts from paper clips to computer stuff. Guess you could also get them from Woolworths.

cheers