using the paper mache

Discussion in 'Radio Control & Other Propulsion Methods' started by paul a, May 8, 2007.

1. paul a

paul a Member

i don,t know i,f i spelled it right . but it,s the use of glue and paper.the main problem of using paper for anything other than static models is stringht.the procider i used in the helpful hints. I,m tring in a full model .the t33.not fully dry yet it still has some flex.layered two thick on the paper towels.i,m starting to think maybe three or four might be better.will not know till tomorrow.weigh less than 2oz not bad for just missing the tail.this one is 4 pages to 1.if it works out i,m going to use the rocket engine on it.won,t whole the 15lbs weight but probley whole 5 lbs tomorrow.
  2. paul a

paul a Member

if this work out this is the way i,m going to model my jets. the clean way like using plastic or fiber glass. like i used to build them.no formers needed plenty of room for ducts .and i don,t have to design internal parts that don,t exsist in the oringinal design.
  3. paul a

paul a Member

gave it overnight to dry.the two cans balancing on the side are 15.25 oz or 432g each.with two plys of paper towel very little flex no dents.tow more plys should bring up the resistance maybe to five lbs.curent weight of the fuselage minus the tail section just shy of an oz.two more plys should bring the whole fuselage just shy of two oz.
  4. paul a

paul a Member

and this one
  5. paul a

paul a Member

i was reading the history part of jetex one of the inventer was having trouble geting balsa .so he used to build his fuselages in molds with paper mache.the paper model is my mold and it seems to be working out ok.the one thing i noticed you have to be really careful the way you leave it to dry.because when it drys that is the shape it will stay with. paul
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

paul.......... have you have any problem with the ink "bleeding" from the dampness of the paper mache?

Also how much of the fuselage will you fill and are you going to fill the wings?

john
  7. paul a

paul a Member

the layer all thru the model is a 1/8 inch thick.and i,m going to see if the procidure will warp the wing.no bleed thru on the ink the outside feels moist but not wet.if your going to try it i sudjest you go one layer at a time.leting dry 24 hours between layers.it comes out stronger that way and easyer to control the warps.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Have you thought about filling the inside with the expanding foam types?

It would be messy, but offer a homogenious body.
  9. paul a

paul a Member

yes i have but this is a paper forum and i am trying to stick to using paper as much as i am able to.Plus i am going to use this way on a fanduct .i need a hollow fuselage to put all the duct work.
  10. paul a

paul a Member

this thread is the make it or break it thread.if i can get the strenght of the model up without adding a lot of weight.anything that flys in any other material can be made of paper.this is going to get me the rc airline model i always wanted and could not buy.and a monster it will be.
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I sure hope it works out the way you are hoping!
    I would love to see you do a big RC with this method!
    That would be really special!

Russell
  12. paul a

paul a Member

8 foot long airliner i be in heaven.and trust me i want to keep the cost low so anyone can have one.paul
  13. spirtos

spirtos Member

I have made some papier mache parts and used them to mold plastic canopies, and I am very interested in how to use a paper model as a mold for a papier mache part...more info and some more pictures would be very helpful...
  14. paul a

paul a Member

what do you want to know?
  15. spirtos

spirtos Member

...can you use the paper model mold many times or you use the papier mache to reinforce the model?
    ...I use the papier mache powder , will this do for a project like that?
    ...are the damages easy to repair?

any picturesw of a model or the process would be very helpful,
    thank you
  16. paul a

paul a Member

i,m using the mache to reinforce the model.in the airliner project i,ll be using a plastic mold.the paper mache power might be too wet i don,t know ,never used it.won,t know about damages until they occur.this is a new proses to me too.when i gather up all the information start to finish.i,ll post a thread with all the info.
  17. paul a

paul a Member

give my bell x-1 thread a look. some details of the process i,m using.
  18. paul a

paul a Member

taking a vacation see you in a couple weeks