'Using Rhinoceros' Discussion Thread

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
I need to resurrect this thread cause I have two very impotant(to me at least and anyone else who is waiting for airwolf) questions.

The first and most critical is about unrolling stuff. I built a 3d model in rhino and started unrolling stuff. While building the first test model I found that some parts aren't fitting together right. The two pieces in question are the aft end of the jet engine pod and a piece of fuselage that the tail boom mounts on.

I think that the jet engine pod is the accurate piece. The problem is the outline of the pod that was projected onto the fuselage. On the unrolled piece of fuselage the line comes out almost 1/8 inch too long. I suspect that the problem is in some way associated with that little message rhino displays after unrolling something regarding the unrolled surface being some % bigger or smaller than the orginal surface. Am I right? If so is there a way to fix it?

Now for the second question. Rhino doesn't consider surfaces to have any appreciable thickness. The problem arises when you cut out the pieces and try and wrap them around the fuselage former. The question is this: Is there a way to shave a certain amount off around the entire circumference of a flat surface? I have tried scaling the formers but that doesn't work.

As always your help is appreciated.

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
I guess you all can ignore the first question. While I was writing the post an idea occurred to me and I just tried it and it seemed to work. The solution involved relofting the offending section of fuselage with more control points than were used on the original surface.

As for the second question I still anxiously await some assistance.

SteveM

Jan 17, 2004
Northboro, MA
willja67 said:
Is there a way to shave a certain amount off around the entire circumference of a flat surface? I have tried scaling the formers but that doesn't work.

As always your help is appreciated.

try the Curve>Offset command

SteveM

T

tausugAir

"Is there a way to shave a certain amount off around the entire circumference of a flat surface? I have tried scaling the formers but that doesn't work."

Will,

I seconded SteveM to the solution of your problem.. Have you read Wunwinglow Rhino tutorial on Soviet Su-7 modeling. He's generous to make it available online below. There's a graphic illustration on how to do the fuse formers with the skinning thickness in mind.

http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/assets/Su7_Tutorial_text.html

Regards....

Muhammad

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Further to my PM, if you are trying to trim a surface you already have generated, you MIGHT get problems if you use a curve. This will likely happen if the offset curve is not EXACTLY in the plane of the surface, in otherwords offsetting the outline moves the curve off the surface. If this happens, extrude the offset curve into a surface and trim your original surface with the extrusion.

Tim P

SteveM

Jan 17, 2004
Northboro, MA
wunwinglow said:
Further to my PM, if you are trying to trim a surface you already have generated, you MIGHT get problems if you use a curve. This will likely happen if the offset curve is not EXACTLY in the plane of the surface, in otherwords offsetting the outline moves the curve off the surface. If this happens, extrude the offset curve into a surface and trim your original surface with the extrusion.

Tim P

Yes, once you've unfolded and unrolled your surfaces, a really handy trick is the Transform>Project-To-CPlane function, this ensures that everything is perfectly in plane.

SteveM

T

tausugAir

After getting a little bit comfortable with Rhino, I kept losing the background image that I'm tracing my model on. Any reason why is this happening? Please, anybody tell me what may I have done (wrong) or what I haven't done (right) in loading the image....

Muhammad

T

tausugAir

Many THANKS, Wunwinglow for the attention!:

In my case- the images is stored in a folder in MyDocument. The images successfully "placed" and appropriately in three viewports. Midway in the image tracing the bitmap disappeared in any one of the viewports. I have had to re "placed" at times to continue the tracing. Now, when I opened the save Rhino files (for three different files) all the bitmaps are no longer there. In their places are rectangular lines with a dotted lines crossing from four corners.

I hope the above can be diagnosed and remedy can be advised....
Thanks....

Muhammad

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
To my knowledge I never did anything that would have interferred with the bitmap(but what I don't know would fill volumes) and as it disappeared after I was mostly done with it I wasn't too concerned. I did start fiddling with the settings just cause I was bored and for some reason it appeared in the perspective vport at the same scale and insertion point that it was when I first put it in(at that time it only showed up in the top vport). I have no idea what I did to make it reappear.

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
I've only had that rectangle happen when I have moved the bitmap file from its folder, so when Rhino goes to load up the bitmap to display it, the data is no longer where it expects to find it. I think there is a message printed in the rectangle along the lines of 'Bitmap xyz.jpg is no longer available' Are you sure you haven't put the bitmap file in another folder? How big are the bitmap files? I wondered if there might be a memory issue here? You can always use Paintshop Pro or some other bitmap editor to resize big bitmaps, which will help with the memory issues. I tend to reduce the colours to greyscale, or even black/white images, or grey/white png files, for things like hull sections, makes them easier to trace over. Otherwise, ask on the Rhino usergroup forums. I've not had this problem, so don't know what else it might be.

Tim P

T

tausugAir

I've been on errand yesterday so can't get back to you guys...Like, Will, can't recall I've moved the bitmap file from its folder (in My Document). But,
will take Wungwinglow advice to go back and investigate as well as check with Rhino user group..Any result, I'll let you know. Thanks a lot

Muhammad

NOBI

Jan 15, 2004
Bangkok, Thailand
Hi There,

Just a quick question...service release of Rhino can install only latest release or must install from first release?

Thank you very much.

I am not sure ... what version you are running now ? I bought a Rhino 3 upgrade and it came already as a SR3c ... installing SR4 without problems. You should certainly try it, the "smash" function in the bonustools might be usefull ... version 4 (you can download a beta already) has an interesting tool as well, I think (I am still playing with it, but it looks nice) :

UnrollSrf command: Two new modes for laying out the flattened surfaces from a polysurface have been added: Exploded separates and flattens surfaces are laid out next to each other, and Connected joins surfaces along the joined edges from the original polysurface.

BR,

LeeO

NOBI

Jan 15, 2004
Bangkok, Thailand
UnRollSrf in Rhino 4.0 Beta

Hi There,

I have a chance to test Rhinoceros 4.0 Beta...not much differnet from 3.0. first i saw is icon of each button is change, more beautiful and loading time is faster than 3.0...first function i want to test is UnRollSrf and i really impress with this cool function (eventhough have some bug when unrollsrf with curve) below is result of my flight test

First i have a mesh ready to unroll with sweep2rail function

make sure your mesh is join together

use UnRollSrf from command bar

a new option of this function Explode and Label...i turn Label option on

NOBI

Jan 15, 2004
Bangkok, Thailand
continue...

and select mesh to unroll with curve on surface

and result........IMPRESSIVE

see on top view...label work very effective

Label make this world easily....