Using real scenery as a backdrop

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Ron asked me how I did the backgrounds for my work train shots so here is a brief explanation.

I made a simple portable diorama that was quite flat, as seen in this photo. This is placed it on a handy fence post and the train is put on the track.

Composing the photo from a low angle allows for the background to look in perspective.

The cropping makes all the difference.

Attachments

• photo_tutorial1.jpg
    photo_tutorial1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 175

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I'm thinking that's a great backyard, train not withstanding...:)

That being said, that's a great way to compose a picture with no backdrop or scenery work. :thumb: :thumb: Kinda tough to run trains that way though.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Barry,

I took one look at that photo, and said to myself, "That could be one of my fence posts out the front.... barbed wire, grass, gum trees and all. Now where in the 'ell in the US looks just like the view out the front of my place. Boy, that scenery looks like Australia".

Then I saw that you're from Melbourne!!! DOH!! To used to the volume of US postings and pics I suppose. :)

BTW... Lismore Nth NSW here. :)

and a pic of a couple of $10 weathered oil tankers I took a week or so ago. Need a small diarama to do it properly. :)

Attachments

• fencepost.jpg
    fencepost.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 127

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Woodie, Jim and Eddie

We live in a great country Woodie, and of course our American friends live in another great country too, as do our Canadian friends.... etc...:)

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Great concept and works beautifully!

I think you could take it a little further with one of those lens... I forget what they are called ... that makes the foreground bigger and the background smaller... is that a wide angle lens? Anyway, it would help to reduce the background image so that things that are too close to be in proper perspective (say a house or whatever) would be reduced to your modelling scale. :)