Using Kadee #5 w/ Tyco rolling stock

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I plan to replace most of the trucks on my rolling stock w/ kadee's. I've been playing around w/ some and i'm a little nervouse. I may blow my budget and not get even half my cars done.

Is there some way to mount kadee #5 to truck mounted horn style coupler mounts?

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
60103 said:
I thought Kadee had another coupler for the tyco truck mounts -- was it #9? I seem to remember an extra thin box.
#5 may be most common, but it's not universal.
I body mounted #5 on some of them.
I bought a 2-56 tap so i could potentially mount them on the body. I'll have to go hunting around their website for that correct coupler.

Looks like #27 or #28 w/ a talgo adapter will do the trick :(. Man .. i just bought a bazillion #5's.
http://www.kadee.com/conv/pdf/l166.pdf

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't waste the additional money on the Tycos by buying the adapter kits.. Like Thoroughbreed says, cut off the truck-mounted couplers, and build body-mounts. Much more solid running that way. :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm with every one else, snip those little boogers off and body mount them. After your first couple and the help of Kadee's coupler gauge, you'll be a pro at it. I've done it with Tycos, Life-Likes and toy Bachmanns with equal success, even working on 2 Tycos as I type...:thumb:

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
shaygetz said:
I'm with every one else, snip those little boogers off and body mount them. After your first couple and the help of Kadee's coupler gauge, you'll be a pro at it. I've done it with Tycos, Life-Likes and toy Bachmanns with equal success, even working on 2 Tycos as I type...:thumb:

O.k. i do have a kadee gauge i'll go experiment today. Any links or searches in the forum for tips and tricks to body mounting?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
On these particular cars I did today, snipping the talgos off left me with unusually high end beams. Still, they were overcome with a stack of two pieces of .030" styrene with an additional .025" piece for the front car. I glue them in place with styrene cement then mount them with a small screw. Sometimes the screw is not possible, I've found that they will hold up well in a 30+ car train on our club layout though I highly recommend putting a screw in when possible. Now I'll hit them with a touch of paint and they're ready to go.

couplers.jpg