Using DCC with multiple locos

Urloony

Dec 30, 2004
I'm pretty new to DCC and still comparing systems and have a question regarding multiple Locos. If I couple two or three locomotives together to pull a train with regular DC this isn't a problem. How do you do this with DCC? Can you control multiple engines with one controller in this situation or is this imposible to do with DCC?

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
Consisting(multiple locos running together) with DCC is no problem. Just make sure that the locos are alike or at least similar in speed.
The number of locos that can be consisted varies with different DCC systems but all the DCC systems I know of can do consisting.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
capt_turk said:
Consisting(multiple locos running together) with DCC is no problem. Just make sure that the locos are alike or at least similar in speed.
The number of locos that can be consisted varies with different DCC systems but all the DCC systems I know of can do consisting.

If the locomotives don't run well together, dcc will allow you to synchronise speeds of what would normally be incompatible locomotives.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Urloony said:
I'm pretty new to DCC and still comparing systems and have a question regarding multiple Locos. If I couple two or three locomotives together to pull a train with regular DC this isn't a problem. How do you do this with DCC? Can you control multiple engines with one controller in this situation or is this imposible to do with DCC?

Yes you can control multiple locos with one controller (throttle), but each loco must have its own decoder.

Andrew

One of the things we accidently did at the last show me and the club were at was consist-on-the-fly...the couplers came apart on the 2 SD70's and since the lead unit didn't have any drag, he moved ahead alot faster. I had to break the consist, and stop the lead unit in the station, while bringing the 2nd unit and train up to the rear. Easy to do, and fun too!

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
And all of those consisted locos don't have to be on the head end of the train. You can put them in the middle of a long string of cars, or at the back end as a pusher. Just make sure the speed of each loco matches the other.