Using an Ultrasonic Cleaner

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
John I use 96% and i leave the shell in for 10 to 15 min then check it and put it back in for more time if it needs if . the longest i soaked a shell was a Bachmann 50 ft reefer that I forgot I put it in the shell,(the timer will run for 30 min max.) was in the tank for over 2 weeks it was ok and there was not a lick of paint left on it t.

jevoltin

Aug 22, 2006
Austin, TX
Do you store the alcohol after using it or is it simply discarded? Because of its relatively high evaporation rate, leaving it in the ultrasonic cleaner for an extended period seems like a bad idea. I generally rinse the ultrasonic cleaner as soon as I'm finished using it.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
John most of the time i do put it back in the bottle but my cleaner is stanless steel and has a air tight cover so if i know i'm going to be using it to soon i just let it sit.(unless i have a brain cramp and forget it)

inkaneer

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and left 91% alcohol in it over night [stainless steel tank]. The cleaner was unplugged. The alcohol distorted the clear plastic in the lid and removed some of the paint from the cleaner itself. The parts I had in the alcohol [Kato Nscale caboose roof and cupola] were unaffected.