Use of motor tools

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
I am wondering how many of you out there are using your hi speed motor tools for more than cutting track? If you took my motor tool away from me I would have to quit modeling, I cut, carve & grind with mine on most any material.One thing I have done is to get a used sewing machine control (foot pedal) to give infinite speed control & instant off. It only cost $7.50 at a sewing shop & was easy to add a plug for the tool.Any other electrical tool you use has a trigger switch, let go & it stops, not a motor tool. As a result many users hold their thumb on the switch,on the back end of the tool, giving control of it about as good as writing with a pencil held by the eraser.Making the change to better control will allow much more creative use of the tool. I admit there is somewhat of an ulterior motive in getting people to use their motor tools more than they do as my business is furnishing hobby shops with a hi strength cutting disc ( which I will not name here) but that not withstanding the change will make modeling more fun.

------------------
L V Dave

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Dave,
Just bought my first 'D' motor tool, with a router attachment. I haven't used it yet, but you bet I will pretty soon.
If the local Sewing machine shop has closed up and gone bye-bye, Dremel sells a foot pedal very much like the sewing machine type, already wired for their tool. Hey, that could be a good second hand store item also. Come to think of it, I have an old portable Singer in the closet...I think "I'm having an apostrophe"! (what movie,y'all?
biggrin.gif
) I'll check it out, and save the 7 or 8 bucks for the Dremel or having to search for another small appliance shop near by!
I bought the kit with the flex shaft attachment included; it's supposed to greatly improve control. I'll let you know when I get to the using of it;I'm still reading the instruction manual!!

Bye,
Virginian

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 02-23-2001).]

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Virginian, You are correct. Dremel does sell one, they are about $85.00. For my money I'll take the sewing machine one & 2-3$ of plug & box. Once you get used to what you can do with the tool you'll wonder how you lived without it. I do a lot of scratch building ( Brass Locos mostly)& never cut brass with shears or snips & almost never use my jewelers saw. It's all done with the motor tool & hi strength cut off disks. The other night I carved a sailfish for a H/O weathervane out of a .187 square brass bar. It took about 20 minutes . NO way would I have spent the time making it with files. Good luck with your new venture, it will be a long & happy partnership!

------------------
L V Dave