use for computer disks?

UP_STEVE

Jun 21, 2003
brisbane, australia
Visit site
I just thought i would ask if anyone has made any good use of computer disks in modelling? i was thinking if someone had an excess of them they could be used for something.

i have used them on my layout, the tunnel portal in my photo is a disk cut along the line where it is sort of depressed where the label goes. if that makes sense :) im pleased with the result.
anybody else done something with them?
just thought i would share :D maybe i gave someone a good idea.

i also use them as a paint pallete sometimes.

Attachments

• g01.jpg
    g01.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 290

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Don't know where I saw this (was it on the Gauge? :confused: ), concerning CDs - CD-ROMs or CDs or CD-Rs:

Use the portion of a jewel case where the CD sits plus the CD itself as the the center bearing of a small covered turntable.

Covered turntables were used whenever a hole wasn't convenient, e.g. a freight car turntable in an industrial setting (you wouldn't want to fall the workers or a truck into the pit! :eek: ). Or in a mountain setting, where the pit always was filled up by snow in the Winter. This way you hadn't to dig out the snow again and again. :cool:

I never saw one of these on an American layout, but in Europe they were quite common. Here's a pic from a German layout. Freight cars were turned by hand and then pulled into the plant by hand or sometimes with a little help from a truck.

I didn't try it so far, but I'll give it a try as soon as my tracks near the spot where I need such a turntable.

Ron

Attachments

• drehscheibe-gedeckt0.jpg
    drehscheibe-gedeckt0.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 211

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Here's another covered turntable, this time in a narrow gauge engine terminal. But it proves the point: With a CD as a base such a turntable could be built up - as long as you got small lokeys! (Wouldn't be ideal to build a Big Boy-size table! :D)

BTW: Don't know where I got this pic from - could it be a South African or Australian loco? Can anybody help?

Ron

Attachments

• drehscheibe-gedeckt.jpg
    drehscheibe-gedeckt.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 217

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Ok belg & ezdays, but then I would recommend to throw in a handful of gears to slow down the turntable.

Otherwise visitors wouldn't know if you're modeling an engine terminal or a helicopter base! :D :D :D :D :D

But in earnest: On a H0 club layout I saw a turntable made of an old 78 phono player - looked great! As far as I remember it was hand operated. (Sorry, have no pics :( )

Ron

UP_STEVE

Jun 21, 2003
brisbane, australia
Visit site
good idea guys :D
i like the idea of a record player turntable... slowed down of course!

ron, i think the loco in your pic might be south african, it dosent look like any aussie loco ive seen... but i might be wrong

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use them when I need something for an HO door track or gutter. Just cut along the edge using a staightedge and utility knife (an Xacto isn't up to the task).

As for turntable motors, in my line of work I have access to these. It's a low RPM motor used in electric fireplaces that come in two voltages, 12 and 120. At 3v the 12v model does less than 2RPM. The 120s are still in my lab being tested but, at 120v, they're good for 16RPM. I have to replace them when they start a low buzz sound, annoying in a fireplace but perfectly tolerable under roadbed and scenery.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 124

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Hey, how about...

Old VHS video cassettes?

I was noticing that there is a part of the VHS video cassette tapes that has a kind of diamond tread/grid pattern embossed on it.

It could make an interesting material for making industrial walkways in larger scales...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
[I never saw one of these on an American layout, but in Europe they were quite common.

I only know of one American prototype but no doubt there are more. Inside the roundhouse that now houses the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. It's a beauty and scales out to not much larger than the Atlas turntable currently on the market.