Usa Rs4tc-1

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Does anyone know if there is a US Army RS4TC-1 48T available in HO? There were 2 of them at Ft Knox while I was there that they used to to move the flats around while we were rail heading tanks to go to NTC, Canada and Ft Bliss for training. One was shipped out on a flat car for rebuild while I was there, it left with a black paint job, while running smoked very bad and at idle had oil running down the sides of the exhaust. It came back on a flat and was red and ran great.

I plan part to put part of an Army base on my layout and would like to have one.

Thanks

Rick

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
eightyeight, yes I could, but it would be nice to find one like I saw working the rail head at Ft Knox....by the way the info I found while I was looking at the engines that the Army has used they listed a as diesel locos were Rs4tc-1, 80 Ton Center Cab, EMD 100 Ton SW8 and EMD 120 ton GP type Locomotives.

I'm not sure that is all but it is all I found.

Rick

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Here's a U.S. Army locomotive that should be VERY easy for you to kitbash and paint...

Just grab an Athearn GP40-2, cut back the dynamic brake housing a bit, add the details like the air conditioner, sunshades, rooftop beacon, horn, etc., shoot it up with red paint, apply the Microscale decal set MC-4278, and you are all set. :thumb:

Hoo-ah!

Attachments

• pictures_14472_USA 4654 Ft Leonard Wood 7-06 in the sun.JPG
    pictures_14472_USA 4654 Ft Leonard Wood 7-06 in the sun.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 116

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Tom that sounds good but I have never kit bashed anything in my life....LOL. I would like to get a switcher sized engine because of the size of my layout.

And now to show how much I don't know, what is the dynamic brake housing?

Thanks

Rick

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
oldtanker said:
Tom that sounds good but I have never kit bashed anything in my life....LOL. I would like to get a switcher sized engine because of the size of my layout.

And now to show how much I don't know, what is the dynamic brake housing?

Thanks

Rick

its the blister in the middle of the roof. there is usually only one fan there on GP style diesels. SD types will have a longer blister with 2 fans.

on the army switcher, the beginning of the blister is cut away.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Oldtanker:

The GP40-2 is a road switcher... I think it's a good compromise between a huge full-sized 6-axle road locomotive vs. a tiny switcher. Pretty much any Geep will look good on a small layout. Basically, the Geeps are to railroads what Jeeps was to the Army-- They are both general purpose! :D

But if you got your heart set on a tiny, tiny locomotive, you can grab an S-2 from Atlas... Atlas released the exact S-2 below in March this year:

Attachments

• pictures_302_USA.jpg
    pictures_302_USA.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 96

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Thanks Green. With the size of my layout I am planning on GP 38's or 40's for my main power.

Tom that would fill the bill just about perfect, thanks for the info.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Since Atlas's S-2 locos are limited-runs, you probably want to jump on them quick. Once sold out, it'll be a PITA to find them in the particular paint scheme you want, and most likely one will have to resort to Flea-bay.

I would get those Atlas S-2's from M.B. Klein. They got two different U.S. Army road numbers for the S-2, at $60 each:

U.S. Army #7135: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ATL-8821

U.S. Army #7371: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ATL-8822

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I just found out that there will be a Train Show and Swap Meet in St Cloud MN on the 2nd of Dec! I'm going to wait until then before buying anything. This will be a 1st for me! Just wish I lived closer to a hobby shop....gotta drive 90 miles to get to one.

Thanks for all the help!

Rick

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
Since Atlas's S-2 locos are limited-runs, you probably want to jump on them quick. Once sold out, it'll be a PITA to find them in the particular paint scheme you want, and most likely one will have to resort to Flea-bay.

I would get those Atlas S-2's from M.B. Klein. They got two different U.S. Army road numbers for the S-2, at $60 each:

U.S. Army #7135: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ATL%2D8821

U.S. Army #7371: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ATL%2D8822

better try and get that Staten Island RR switcher.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have to admit I'm addicted to Atlas stuff.. Their engines just runs sooo nice!

I'm maxed out this year as far as budget goes though... So far this year I bought 3 Atlas B40-8 locos... a Susquehanna and two Conrails.

Yet another "Do you REALLY need another locomotive?" conundrum! :D

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
LongIslandTom said:
I'm maxed out this year as far as budget goes though... So far this year I bought 3 Atlas B40-8 locos... a Susquehanna and two Conrails.

Yet another "Do you REALLY need another locomotive?" conundrum! :D

NEWS FLASH from the Coastal Oregonian:

The PG&W's and TH&B's Board of Directors (joint boards and cross-membership was still allowed in the pre-anti-trust days of 1900) have told the Chief Engineer that until the number of engineers expands, the number of locomotives will not exceed 8 and 5 respectively. If the Chief Engineer feels that there are more appropriate locomotives available, and operating funds support the purchase, new locomotives may be procured IF AND ONLY IF an existing locomotive is sold.

Actually, the dictate is not that harsh. Selling the locos I like the least helps to pay for the new lust of my eye. And the numbers are still more than I would likely actually use even if the layout ever reaches its planned final expansion.

my thoughts, your choices

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
pg....thats what I'm going to do, I have a Proto 2000 that is too big for my curves so that is going for whatever I can find at the swap meet or on here. I have pics of it but don't know how to add them in an existing thread.

Rick

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Pictures of the Proto 2000

Picture172.jpg

Picture170.jpg