Update: My logging Point - Point layout

UPJunkie

Aug 8, 2003
Nixa,Mo
www.geocities.com
well here is my logging Point - Point layout This will be about sholder hight and 1 ft wide (or smaller) There will be some logging buildings on the layout and more trees let me know what you think

BULLRailroad2.gif

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Looks good.... don't logging roads usually run a route that is usually full of turns and twists? This looks like a arrow strait run on three sides. I like the narrow shelf idea!

Is the road hauling trees from one location to another or a river or???

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
It looks like there are some nice long straight runs but I must agree, logging roads are typically in the mountains and more twisty-turny.

Also, where are the industries located? I assume there would be a logging camp with a couple of spurs, a lumber mill, log pond and/or interchange area on a logging layout, but I don't see any part of this layout which features such things--maybe they're not there yet.

It does look like a very cool basic point-to-point, though--lots of nice smooth running room. It's kind of hard to judge scale--are the little marks against the wall 1' or 2' wide? It would seem that you have either 12" radius curves in the corners (if 1') or a 24" turntable...is this HO or N?

UPJunkie

Aug 8, 2003
Nixa,Mo
www.geocities.com
this is my first look at what i have to work with. You guys are right about the logging roads. I may change the long stright on the left with some track going around some Mts and going across a creek or river. I havent made up my mind where the logging mill and other buildings are going to go. I will work on this some more tonight and do some changing to it. If this was your plan would you have 2 turntables? BTW this is HO scale and most of the buildings, and 2-3 bridges will be hand made. The little lines is 1 ft by scale. The curves will be at least 18"

This is my first time messing around with XtrkCad.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Junkie, I like the plan, but most of your benchwork looks to be 6" wide? Two tracks will take up 4" min. so there's 1" left for scenery/blending to the backdrop on each side? Weren't you going to have a 12" shelf? I've been working with a 12" shelf and it's hard to make two tracks "fit" without them being straight.